Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Old 03-06-2022, 01:29 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,017 Times in 524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
So no warranty? I'm curious if all Yamaha New Cart Dealers have to do warranty work even if the cart wasn't purchased there like new car dealers.
I’m not sure?

It does have a warranty, I question whether it is worth it to use if we need to take it to Daytona. Routine maintenance, probably not. A serious engine issue etc….yep

“Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see further.” Thomas Carlyle
Old 03-06-2022, 01:42 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
I’m not sure?

It does have a warranty, I question whether it is worth it to use if we need to take it to Daytona. Routine maintenance, probably not. A serious engine issue etc….yep

Thanks, I'm going to call Yamaha tomorrow.
Old 03-09-2022, 11:12 AM
FLBeans
Default Moving down from Phila/NJ area.

Hello to all ! Have 2 questions and hope someone can help. I am grateful for this thread...so thank you in advance! I've been following The Villages for quite some time now and I think I would like to come and check it out as a Newbie to T.V. I am not, however, a Newbie to Florida. I lived in Jax for 5 years and I own a condo on the water in Treasure Island. I am here in NJ now and will retire in May. I will be heading to T.I. and want to come stay for a bit at T.V. to see and experience before I sell my T.I. place. I lived for a year in T.I. and was lonely. There were MeetUp groups, but it seemed to be beach drinking mostly. I like a fun time, but enjoy diversity. I am single as my S.O. passed years ago and looking to start my next chapter. Now for my first question. WHERE to rent a small place near the center of The Villages where I can walk to most places? Should I just call the center OR rent from a private owner? Second question. I was hoping to get into a group when I get there who can show me around so I'm not sitting at a table or the bar by myself looking FRIENDLESS. Is there a group I could contact for this? Thanks again. Becky from Philly / NJ area.
Old 03-09-2022, 01:14 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

You can do a lifestyle visit for up to 7 days. As far as single's groups do some research on youtube. I know Rusty Nelson and the Village Newcomers have done shows on being single here.
Old 04-25-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Don’t pay too much for a golf cart. The Villages quoted me 18k and a 4 month wait just to get a Yamaha. Quiet Tech.
I just got a quote last week for the Quiet Tech and it was $13.5k. The Villages price was a few hundred dollars off from other quotes, but not anything unreasonable. The fact that they only service carts they sell makes it a no-brainer. The wait conveyed was 60-75 days.
Old 05-03-2022, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Let's do a thread with some advice for newbies, things to do and NOT to do when you first move here.

First I will say not to buy from the door pounders who come to you in the weeks right after you move in. Not because they are all unworthy contractors, but some of them are, and nothing, NOTHING has to be done at once. Take your time and wait for changes to water supply, adding pest treatments, painting driveways or even if you will add downspouts to the back of your home. Wait to see who your neighbors use for lawn maintainance.

Please jump in here and add your comments here everyone.
Love the post concept.
Our lessons learned:
a) Buy because you love it hear - not based on what real estate agents say makes it a great investment. Example: we were told that The Villages would stop expanding - which would raise our value. Reality - they didn't. I can complain about the Developers - but there is still not place we'd rather be.

b) Golf Carts... everybody has an opinion - based on what they bought. Our lesson (opinion) is: Electric is good if you won't be going great distances - often; Crown is the best in this category = longest distance. Yamaha is likely the best - holds it's value best if you sell used; quite; well built. Suggest buying from outside The Villages - and you'll likely save thousands. We used Carts and Clubs in Ocala; we use Willie's for any repairs.

c. Furniture. If you're from the North, you probably won't like your furniture when you have it here in the South. There are lots of places for furniture. City Fire may be the biggest. We liked Villages Furniture Outlet. That's because they have great quality (Ashley) and we were comfortable buying off the internet (not dissimilar to Amazon). There prices were untouchable - more importantly their service is extraordinary.

d) Meals. Don't be afraid to go "off campus" too! For example, we love NY Deli on 441 for breakfast and sandwiches (they build them - not make them). We love Harry's in Ocala - and our friends have too.

e) Love Boating? We joined a "club" instead of buying. This gives us options including bass boats, pontoon boats, center console and sailing. So depending on our needs, friends and family, we have multiple options of types of boating - and where. There are several good clubs nearby. We chose Adventure in Leesburg.

f. Bored Here? Blame yourself. There is so much to do - try - experiment with. Did I ever think I'd enjoy polo matches? NO! What the heck was bocce - let's try; loved it. Try stuff you never thought of trying. You'll meet great people - and may find something you never thought you'd enjoy!

g. Why Complain? There is always something to complain about here - and you'll here plenty of it. It doesn't mean stop caring. It doesn't even mean don't push back. Here's my analogy. If you went to buy a Cadillac, you would likely still negotiate for the best price - best service - most accessories you could get for your money. Right?

Hope these help!
Old 05-12-2022, 05:45 PM
Default Linda

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Let's do a thread with some advice for newbies, things to do and NOT to do when you first move here.

First I will say not to buy from the door pounders who come to you in the weeks right after you move in. Not because they are all unworthy contractors, but some of them are, and nothing, NOTHING has to be done at once. Take your time and wait for changes to water supply, adding pest treatments, painting driveways or even if you will add downspouts to the back of your home. Wait to see who your neighbors use for lawn maintainance.

Please jump in here and add your comments here everyone.
I agree. Can get caught up with a bad fit. Also, when being rushed through your walk-thru, look at your baseboards. I had floors removed, so baseboards had to be removed, too. What a mess they were. Globbed on paint and peeling in thin, rubbery sheets. Hue Got It rep, Paul, came out and said he could do nothing since the baseboards were removed, but he admitted it was a bad job. He suggested I reinstall them, then he would have someone sand them in the house. But, he felt I would have to throw half of them away. The 'builder' said his hands are tied!! Disappointing to say the least. So, don't rush the walk-thru and look at EVERYTHING!
Old 05-19-2022, 03:26 PM
Default Local fun spots

Please go to the best little coffee shop in the area.

"The standard Coffee Lounge" 1552 Bella Cruz Dr. in the Publix plaza on the opposite end. A group of us ladies go there every few days, it is owned by a young Christian family and they have snacks, pastries, teas. As a Villager; it is important to support local business. They also have a free room to use for small groups in back. LOVE THIS PLACE.
Old 05-27-2022, 11:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkhbeyondthewall@aol.com View Post
So, don't rush the walk-thru and look at EVERYTHING!
Are you talking about a NEW home or a RE-SALE?

We bought a new home in 2016 and didn't pay attention to the details during the walk-thru.

During the first year, we found several problems (like the electric outlets on out lanai did not work). We called the warranty office and they QUICKLY sent someone to fix each problem.
Old 06-02-2022, 12:37 PM
Default Need moving boxes

If anyone is moving the week of June 14 or later north of 44, I would love to have your moving boxes that you have emptied.
Smcfay61@gmail.com
Old 06-22-2022, 10:18 AM
Default Foods I'm looking for near the villages

Editing as I find something new:

On water: I always go with the 5 gallon jug refill station. I used to work at a bottled water plant in Hawaii and since then I could always taste the tap difference anywhere. If it isn't up to my standards I don't drink it. The only other water I was okay with was if they had a home filter. But at some of those prices I just refill the 5 gal at Walmart for $1.45.

Smoke detector: I set mine off a couple times late night cooking. Still getting used to but I seem to have it under control. I love cooking blackened mahi and ahi. The SmokeD loves to go off when I cook that way even if there's no puffs of smoke, it's pretty sensitive. So now I turn the fan over the oven on, plus my living room fan, and open the sliding glass door to let air circulate before turning the heat up high. So to save yourself the high pitched noise - it eventually goes off under a min - turn those fans on early if cooking similar.

Garbagemen: They come early 2x a week so have your trash out the night before. One morning I heard the truck at 6:45am and saw them picking up from my neighbors across the street. Thought dang I missed it, but looked down my street and saw neighbors on my side with bags out. So where I live these guys go down one side and then turn and come back up the other side. So I quicky grabbed my box and small bag and put it out, and saw later that they had taken it coming back around. But don't let it get to that last minute stuff if you really need trash hauled.

Village gates: Do not try and piggyback behind someone. Those arms come down fast after the vehicle in front of you passes through. Even if you think you have quick reactions at a stop light, save yourself the repair bill and wait until it raises again for your vehicle. I lived in a complex with a slow gate before moving here and you could piggyback at normal speed there before the gate closed. Not so in the Villages.

Golf Cars: secure your stuff. Navigating through some curves in the path can send things flying easily even when not going that fast. If it's that important when it flies off to go retrieve it then secure it first. I lost a water bottle (was a bit too big for the holes) and spent 15 minutes trying to find it with no luck. I know a guy who lost his expensive prescription glasses. Save yourself the inconvenience of hunting for your lost stuff or checking lost and found.

Farmer's Market: There's a nice one in Brownwood going on mostly every Saturday. Only a short golf cart ride away for me and it's very convenient. Prices range from pretty good to a little high.

(foods I'm looking for here: a great fresh fish market, cinnamon raisin eng muffins that are not Thomas brand - yuck)

Last edited by mikeycereal; 04-30-2023 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-02-2022, 08:45 AM

Thank you for the wonderful suggestion.
Old 08-09-2022, 02:09 PM

you enjoy it
Old 09-05-2022, 08:41 AM

Solicitors are not allowed in The Villages. If someone knocks on your door to sell something or their services, you need to remind them that it is now allowed. Trust your neighbors for advice on any services.....word of mouth is the best.
Old 10-02-2022, 07:55 PM

Hello new

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.