Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Old 10-02-2022, 07:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjr View Post
Hello new
Welcome!
Old 10-03-2022, 07:12 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjan View Post
Solicitors are not allowed in The Villages. If someone knocks on your door to sell something or their services, you need to remind them that it is now allowed. Trust your neighbors for advice on any services.....word of mouth is the best.
Could you please provide the source for this statement. Most of the roads are public except for the Villa neighborhoods.
Old 10-03-2022, 07:36 AM

Here is a link to the PDF explaing that soliciting is prohibited:

All of the roadways within The Villages are public and the District is not permitted to restrict access to the community. If you see solicitors going door to door in your area, please contact Community Standards at (352) 751-3912 as solicitation is not permitted in The Villages.

https://districtgov.org/departments/...-watch-FAQ.pdf
--------------------------------------------
We live in interesting times
--------------------------------------------
Old 10-04-2022, 12:42 AM

The Villages is NOT a gated community. Anyone can enter any of the neighborhoods by pushing the red button. The gates are for traffic control and safety purposes. I believe there are cameras at the gates that take pictures of those who enter.
Old 10-11-2022, 10:06 AM
Thumbs up Excellent Advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Let's do a thread with some advice for newbies, things to do and NOT to do when you first move here.

First I will say not to buy from the door pounders who come to you in the weeks right after you move in. Not because they are all unworthy contractors, but some of them are, and nothing, NOTHING has to be done at once. Take your time and wait for changes to water supply, adding pest treatments, painting driveways or even if you will add downspouts to the back of your home. Wait to see who your neighbors use for lawn maintainance.

Please jump in here and add your comments here everyone.
You are a wise and thoughtful homeowner sharing your experience in The Villages. We move in shortly so your timely advice will definitely help us. Have a blessed day!
Old 10-13-2022, 09:10 AM

Yes the sales companies trying to sell water purification systems. My neighbor got ripped off over 3,000 and the co was not from County of Sumter nor State of Fl.
Old 01-20-2023, 04:41 AM
Veteran member

Best place for bedding in Costco online. Delivered to you and you can return for full refund after 1 day or 10 years. Savings and return policy is worth the $65
Membership

Old 01-23-2023, 03:20 PM
Default any pet sitters that allow the pets to come to their home?

Quote:
Let's do a thread with some advice for newbies, things to do and NOT to do when you first move here.

First I will say not to buy from the door pounders who come to you in the weeks right after you move in. Not because they are all unworthy contractors, but some of them are, and nothing, NOTHING has to be done at once. Take your time and wait for changes to water supply, adding pest treatments, painting driveways or even if you will add downspouts to the back of your home. Wait to see who your neighbors use for lawn maintainance.

I could not figure out how to make a new post. I am looking for a pet sitter that will allow the dogs to come to their home. How do I post?
Old 02-11-2023, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappy View Post
I could not figure out how to make a new post. I am looking for a pet sitter that will allow the dogs to come to their home. How do I post?
Use the green banner at the top of the page to navigate to the appropriate forum.
Possibly: FORUM> LIFESTYLES IN THE VILLAGES> ALL ABOUT PETS.

Once you're in the forum you want, scroll down to click the red Post New Thread button.
Old 03-02-2023, 05:22 AM

Hi, we are moving to the Villages in April. We purchased an unfurnished patio villa. We are unashamed to say we both lack the skills to properly furnish our home like a designer would do. Does anyone know if those staging companies would do that for our home and sell us the furniture? While hunting for our home we saw so many perfectly designed homes that were staged. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-02-2023, 05:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,900 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfrat2 View Post
Hi, we are moving to the Villages in April. We purchased an unfurnished patio villa. We are unashamed to say we both lack the skills to properly furnish our home like a designer would do. Does anyone know if those staging companies would do that for our home and sell us the furniture? While hunting for our home we saw so many perfectly designed homes that were staged. Thanks in advance!
So I had never furnished a home either, but my wife had, so she trained me by spending entire days walking through furniture stores and looking at very specific types of furniture up NORTH.
I grew up in a new england colonial, with 100 year old passed down furniture. . though very nice doesn't fit in with a florida life style. . So your current likes are based upon where and how you live right now .

If you want a more florida based retirement furnishing, peruse lots of TV houses for sale, and look at the pictures and videos, see what many people have done down in their houses here. We found some very nice additions to the kitchen from other people's houses, and we took screen shots. .

so if you peruse and find furnishings which you like, take screen shots and save them. .
Then go to Babettes or City Furniture, and look around for similar items to get a sense of price. If you go to Leesburg to Babettes, Lifestyle Furniture by Babette'''s | Furniture Store | Leesburg, FL ask for Jenay and she does whole house interior designs, but the important part is to get a bit familiar with the florida warm weather furniture, and prices. . so that you have an idea after walking through 5-6 stores..

consider:
TV location and wall mount or book case type with a 55 inch or so TV.
Types of chairs / recliners / sofas..
and bedroom furniture can be whatever makes you comfortable, as its not for guests, but consider a platform bed for extra underbed storage, since storage is not a lot in the TV basic designs. .

good luck
and you don't have to be Christina from HG TV to furnish your own home.
Old 03-02-2023, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfrat2 View Post
Adding to what CoachKandSportsguy wrote, some of those furniture stores actually have the floor plans of Villages homes in their computers, so they can show you how certain pieces would look in your specific model, what will fit, different themes, etc. They've been doing this for years, and also offer turnkey/rental property furniture packages.

Don't forget about the numerous consignment/thrift stores surrounding The Villages, as you can get furniture in excellent condition for far less than you might think. Skip Smith and Jerry/Linda have done videos on them. J&L also did a video with Ruth Dyer, who has been an interior decorator in and around The Villages for many years - she may be able to help.
Old 03-07-2023, 10:56 AM
TOTV SPONSOR
Smile

Always use licensed contractors in your Villages home for any work.
Estimates for work completed by licensed contractors should also be provided at no charge to you.

Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Logo.JPG
Views:	597
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	97307  
Old 03-07-2023, 04:34 PM

Quote:

Thank you!
Old 03-07-2023, 05:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyHome352 View Post
Thank you!
You sure are restarting a bunch of old tired threads.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.