Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Old 03-22-2023, 12:15 AM

Wow! I’ve never thought of this! Thank YOU!!πŸ™πŸ»
Old 04-01-2023, 01:07 PM
Default Water Meter

I [QUOTE=graciegirl;6

I have a villa that my daughter is going to move into this week. The villa has been vacant for a few months. Yesterday I received the VCCD bill for the villa and it showed the villa used 22,820 gallons of water. I called the Utility Customer Service and asked to re read the meter and they said it was fine. Yesterday I had Scott Plumbing out and he seen the meter run without any water being used. Then I had a irrigation man come checked out the system and everything was good.
I am going to ask the Villages for a new meter, and a credit on the 22,820 gallons of water
that should be interesting to get.
Old 04-12-2023, 06:53 PM

I am so glad I found this forum, you all have so much information to give us moving to the villages. We were going to move this spring however the wife had to have hip replacement surgery so we have to wait a couple more months. All of your advice has been so excellent from moving to furniture and want to do when we get to the Villages. Thanks to all.
Old 04-25-2023, 01:29 PM
Default Need a Plumber? Don't call these guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Let's do a thread with some advice for newbies, things to do and NOT to do when you first move here.

First I will say not to buy from the door pounders who come to you in the weeks right after you move in. Not because they are all unworthy contractors, but some of them are, and nothing, NOTHING has to be done at once. Take your time and wait for changes to water supply, adding pest treatments, painting driveways or even if you will add downspouts to the back of your home. Wait to see who your neighbors use for lawn maintainance.

Please jump in here and add your comments here everyone.
Thank you Gracie Girl. I recently sought estimates for a simple plumbing job - running a water line across a 30' garage to a new outdoor hose bib. I got the following three estimates:

1. Mike Scott Plumbing $350 (no estimate fee)
2. Anthony Torri Plumbing $325 (no estimate fee)
3. Frank Gay Services $2158 ($38 estimate fee)

After two calls to Frank Gay Services, seeking to speak to a manager and being promised a callback, I finally got through to a customer service person who said that they would refund my $38 estimate fee if I signed an agreement to keep my dissatisfaction silent. The form required me to not "post or author any detrimental reviews, blogs, etc. regarding the Company, in any form, whether written or oral."

My silence cannot be purchased for $38. I am a new homeowner in The Villages. The majority of service companies that I have dealt with have been upstanding and a pleasure to do business with, however, when I find a company that exploits and takes advantage of unsuspecting homeowners, I want to share my experience and help others avoid making a bad decision.
Old 04-25-2023, 06:38 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike&Silvia View Post
Thank you Gracie Girl. I recently sought estimates for a simple plumbing job - running a water line across a 30' garage to a new outdoor hose bib. I got the following three estimates:

After two calls to Frank Gay Services, seeking to speak to a manager and being promised a callback, I finally got through to a customer service person who said that they would refund my $38 estimate fee if I signed an agreement to keep my dissatisfaction silent. The form required me to not "post or author any detrimental reviews, blogs, etc. regarding the Company, in any form, whether written or oral."

My silence cannot be purchased for $38. I am a new homeowner in The Villages. The majority of service companies that I have dealt with have been upstanding and a pleasure to do business with, however, when I find a company that exploits and takes advantage of unsuspecting homeowners, I want to share my experience and help others avoid making a bad decision.
They have to pay for all those stupid radio commercials they run. I would have taken the $38 back. Their reputation is well known.
Old 09-12-2023, 11:26 AM
Default Deed restrictions

This applies before you purchase a home but make sure you read the deed restrictions for your district. You can get them online from Village Community Development Districts. Select your district from the "your district" menu and then click on the "deed restrictions" link in the left-hand menu.

You can also view the history of utilities paid for the property. On the same web site above, select "utilities" from the departments's menu and then from the left-hand menu, select "utility bill inquiry". Pretty cool.

Also, before you purchase (existing property), ask if any modifications have been made to the property and if they had been approved by ARC. I just bought a place here and they painted the vinyl siding but didn't have approval from ARC. I made them get approval before I signed the purchase agreement. If you purchase a property that is out of compliance you'll be responsible for bringing it in compliance from what I understand. It might even be wise to check with ARC if anything was ever submitted for the property.

If you want to make any modifications to the outside of your house, talk to ARC first, even if you think it's small and insignificant. Better safe than sorry. That's what I've been told.
Old 09-12-2023, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switter View Post
This applies before you purchase a home but make sure you read the deed restrictions for your district. You can get them online from Village Community Development Districts. Select your district from the "your district" menu and then click on the "deed restrictions" link in the left-hand menu.

You can also view the history of utilities paid for the property. On the same web site above, select "utilities" from the departments's menu and then from the left-hand menu, select "utility bill inquiry". Pretty cool.

Also, before you purchase (existing property), ask if any modifications have been made to the property and if they had been approved by ARC. I just bought a place here and they painted the vinyl siding but didn't have approval from ARC. I made them get approval before I signed the purchase agreement. If you purchase a property that is out of compliance you'll be responsible for bringing it in compliance from what I understand. It might even be wise to check with ARC if anything was ever submitted for the property.

If you want to make any modifications to the outside of your house, talk to ARC first, even if you think it's small and insignificant. Better safe than sorry. That's what I've been told.
Thanks
Old 09-12-2023, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Let's do a thread with some advice for newbies, things to do and NOT to do when you first move here...

"NOTHING has to be done at once."
Well, it's hard to make it a day without internet service. That needs to be done at once. Do they knock on doors?
Old 09-25-2023, 10:30 AM

Moved into The Villages in July 2023. I was born and raised in Rochester and my wife is from Buffalo.

We both love our new lifestyle and would never consider moving back to the cold grey (endless) clouds.

There are numerous clubs, theaters, pools, and golf throughout The Villages offering a variety of entertainment.

Come down for a lifestyle visit and explore the varied amenities.
Old 09-25-2023, 11:15 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 535 Posts
Default Watch out for rental neighborhoods

Research the neighborhood you move into. Designer home streets are less likely to be bought out by investors and future landlords. You don’t want to be located next to a revolving door AirBnB. Court yard villas are prime targets for the STR landlords out for the quick bucks.

β€œ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 09-25-2023, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike&Silvia View Post

Thank you, if there was an easy way I would gladly send you the $38. Hopefully this will prevent a senior from being stolen from.
Old 10-01-2023, 06:48 AM
Default free

Turn down all free gift or can I come over to visit offers except neighbors are ok
Old 10-02-2023, 01:00 PM
Veteran member

go to the golf cart safety clinic is a must. The new resident night that is given every month is also a must. Sign on to Nextdoor.com and The Villages Friendly Folks for lots of helpful information.
Old 02-05-2024, 08:37 AM

If your new street isn't on google maps, set a nearby landmark as a "home base." I did that with the UF Health Clinic which was at the end of my main street - Meggison. Whenever the app guided me there I knew I was in the correct area. Kept me from getting lost.
Old 02-16-2024, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarick View Post
I notice that some here are saying that they receive phone calls from pushy vendors. My question is how did they get your new phone number? Especially if you have a cell phone? or do you have a land line which is posted somewhere?
Please share.
The Villages Resident Directory

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.