Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:22 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big47moe View Post
I purchased a cottage home a year ago and it did not include gutters. Told they were not needed. After a few rains had stains in the front and rear walkways and rain pouring in as you entered the house.
I called the warranty department and they recommended a village builder who cost less then $500 and $1,100 less than having the big box vendor install!
Just a bit of information, if you are looking to have these installed ,they range from 3 bucks a foot to 1 dollar a foot. Downspouts run 30 bucks and down installed. You can use the search box on here and find all the info you need about gutters.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:32 AM

Gracie, we should have known you were a Kindergarten teacher! Remember the poster "Everything I Needed to Learn I Learned in Kindergarten"? It should also say ...and on TOTV!
Old 06-14-2013, 10:18 AM
Gold member

Just my 2 cents worth -

Came up for an LSV 2 weeks ago. Had a definite house in mind - Cottage home - Hammock! Even had an exact house/address.

Long story short - loved the house but not the lot. Everything is a give and take. Found a house - an Anchor. Not our ideal house but loved the lot so we bought it.

Not telling anyone to "settle" but unless you build your dream house you will eventually have to ascertain what features are important to you.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspat View Post
Gracie, we should have known you were a Kindergarten teacher! Remember the poster "Everything I Needed to Learn I Learned in Kindergarten"? It should also say ...and on TOTV!
Absolutely. I so agree. Gracie's warmth and diplomacy shine through. I thought she might have been a teacher or a therapist. Now that we know she taught kdg. it makes perfect sense.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotme View Post
Just my 2 cents worth -

Came up for an LSV 2 weeks ago. Had a definite house in mind - Cottage home - Hammock! Even had an exact house/address.

Long story short - loved the house but not the lot. Everything is a give and take. Found a house - an Anchor. Not our ideal house but loved the lot so we bought it.

Not telling anyone to "settle" but unless you build your dream house you will eventually have to ascertain what features are important to you.

Point well taken. I was unwilling to spend the money on the lot premium to build my originally anticipated house. Then again, even if my dream house existed, I probably couldn't afford it anyway. So, we all settle one way or the other, but I remind myself that it's the people that make TV special.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:29 PM

How does one access "Seniors vs Crime" ? We are moving to the Villages in October. We may need to add a few touches to the preowned home that was taken care of so well.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:05 PM
Gold member

Depending on what county you are in they are listed at this link for "Seniors vs Crime".
Office Locations

Last edited by obxgal; 06-14-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:03 PM

We just closed on our pre-owned courtyard villa in April after close to seven years of studying the situation in TV and religiously following this forum.

It was LOCATION-LOCATION-LOCATION up north and it is the same here... although for different reasons.

If I could offer any advise at all it would be to be doubly cautious of any units location to roads (lanai facing road/cart path) , pickle ball courts and lanais in close proximity to neighbors lanai.

Cart ride distance to groceries is important too.

Maybe it's just me but I think about getting a quart of milk when I'm 80!

Other than that you can hardly miss here.

We just started using cell phones exclusively...no issues.

No sales people of any kind have shown up at the front door...just great people with dinner for two newbies that were obviously worn out!
Old 06-14-2013, 09:45 PM

Graciegirl... great idea for a thread. Thxs. I can only stress, having been a frequent reader here, that anyone with a concern or seeking advice may want to voice themselves here on TOTV. So many friendly and wise contributors.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:50 PM

thinking about moveing to the villages what about the maintance fees
Old 06-14-2013, 11:11 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnertom View Post
thinking about moveing to the villages what about the maintance fees
Best bet - scroll down to the bottom of the main forum page to "Nuts and Bolts of The Villages."

Good 3 part post with a lot of information. (Don't know when it was updated last). Good reading.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
A big mistake would be to rush the buying decision. Rent as long as you can and look at a number of options of where to live. Don't buy on your first visit. The life style is what you are buying.
We don't enjoy renting, so we did just the opposite of what rjm suggests. We decided we wanted to live in "central Villages", and bought on our first visit in 2007. We've never regretted our decision for a minute! We wanted to get to know our neighbors and not rent in a new area every year. We wanted to hang our clothes in the closet, buy a king size bed, and customize our home with solar tubes and a birdcage. We wanted to know that when we travel, we can return to our home in TV, and our bed that is reserved only for our use!

I'm not suggesting this is the right way to do things. Some peeps like to go slow and take their time. Others like to jump in and swim. It's all good.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:44 PM

Thanks for the input......I think we may be trying to do too much. We are trying to get insight from someone who has been there. The hot garage has got to go.....😝
Pauline
Old 06-17-2013, 01:56 PM

Be aware of the Palm tree door knockers too!! I'm not saying that the Palm trees they are trying to sell you are good or bad. I heard pros and cons so do your homework before purchasing.. Again, talk to neighbors. If it is to good to be true then it is.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:25 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by LvmyPug2 View Post
Best advice I got came from a bumper sticker I saw shortly after moving here. It said "we don't care how you did it up north".
The problem here is that usually an issue cuts as much as it kicks. for instance a repeated complaint has been he abuse of a land line. Up north in Minnesota as the population increased instead of recycling phone numbers the stat expand its area codes hence no one had a recycled phone. Like one poster we too were assigned a recycled number and that guy was also a dead beat and for about five years we had collection agencies calling at all hours.. We want a land line in he event of an emergency. Comcast solved our problem with ID caller and now we can dcide if we want to answer a call or not.....

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.