Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 01-04-2019, 10:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimeslayer View Post
I have lived in TV for almost 2 years, so I'm almost a newbie. If I had one thought to add to this thread, it is this; we are taught never to discuss politics or religion in social settings. Maybe we would be better served if we were taught how to discuss politics and religion civilly and thoughtfully. If we never discussed political views with others, we would never gain knowledge other than our own beliefs. Just my thoughts after living here for a short period of time. BTW, love TV!!!!
TWO YEARS ? Not a newbie any longer at all.

I was never taught not to discuss politics and in fact, have been active in politics for years and earned a living at it for a number of years.

Difference today is that we do not discuss ISSUES involved, but we only discuss PERSONALITIES. We seem to hate those who oppose our guy and tend to share that venom. We seem to feel that anyone who opposes us is a bad bad person, no matter the truth of the matter......not marching in step is a bad person.

We seem to have lost the ability to discern truth from fiction, or to have the care to even find out what is true. THAT is important because to discuss like an adult issues that are political demands that both parties being talking about what is real, not alternate reality.

I find it sad that we cannot discuss issues without sharing hate of some form.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:42 AM
TOTV Moderator

This thread is moving away from its purpose. Please return to the topic of advice for New Residents. Further posts on the current discussion will be deleted.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2019, 10:19 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimeslayer View Post
The only suggestion I can offer is attend a session of the "Civil Discourse Club" here in TV. It is a place to discuss many controversial subjects with a diverse group of people with one simple rule....BE CIVIL!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
I am amazed at the new things I learn about The Villages. I have not heard of this club and yet, it sounds like something for which I have been yearning. A yearning, that in a very small way, is satisfied by TOTV.

The Civil Discourse Club has been around for at least 10 years. It grew so much that they eventually went to two meetings for each topic. (I am not sure though if that happens every month.)

During winter, it can be really difficult to get in because of the size limitation of the meeting rooms. If you want to go, I suggest getting there early.

Upcoming Schedule:

“Self-Driving Cars and Society”
01/07 at 10:00 at Colony
Repeated on 1/14 at Savannah

“Presidential Executive Orders: Social Progress or Road to Dictatorship” on January 21 at Colony.

My email did not say anything about a repeat of the January 21 topic.

(I sure hope I do not get a complaint for sharing info on a club in TV that sometimes has political discussion — not always, not usually, just sometimes, and January 21 happens to be one.

For example, November’s topics were “The Five Love Languages” and “The Twelve Greatest Scientists.”)

The way it works is a speaker gives a relatively short, time-limited presentation on the topic. After that, people can go to a microphone, one-by-one, to make comments, also time-limited.

There really is something for everybody in TV. But with the size of the population, it is not always easy to find each other. Clubs that interest you can help — if you can get in the door.

(I still miss the old Lifelong Learning College.)

Last edited by Boomer; 01-04-2019 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 01-05-2019, 01:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
(I still miss the old Lifelong Learning College.)
I miss the old LLC too.

P.S. I always enjoy your posts; they make me laugh.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barefoot For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2019, 07:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post

P.S. I always enjoy your posts; they make me laugh.
Ditto.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:23 PM

I recommend both the screening and the gutters. Well worth the investment. The screens do allow for ventilation but also keep the ceiling of your front porch free of bugs.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Beware the clever and sneaky water system salespeople! They will phone and mail solicitations under all sorts of fake identities, but when you question and press, they'll finally fess up to being water system sales. And they are relentless in their persistence. My father recently bought a house and he has been bombarded for two months now, despite repeatedly telling the phone soliciters 'No thanks', and throwing away the mail disguised as all sorts of government and official looking important papers. Geez, what an irritating group they are!
We moved in in February and were bombarded with water and bug guys
Old 05-12-2019, 04:19 PM

Yes... I think I'm getting the "deep clean" scam too (not in Villages; "up north") Don't know what to do except challenge them on it -- "I brush and floss twice a day? Why to I need a deep clean?"
Old 05-12-2019, 05:45 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back9 View Post
Yes... I think I'm getting the "deep clean" scam too (not in Villages; "up north") Don't know what to do except challenge them on it -- "I brush and floss twice a day? Why to I need a deep clean?"
We get the chimney cleaners. The other day we had the termite control guy but we think it might've actually been a burglary operation, because the Stanley Steamer truck was behind our house, parked on the side of the back driveway that leads to the Senior Housing (our house's driveway is off this back drive to the Housing property, we have a right of way).

I've never seen the steamer guys even on the property, let alone parked out directly behind our fence.

We told the guy if he didn't get off our property we'd call the police. He got lost quick enough.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
In addition I suggest a thumb drive with you at all times.
Last time we moved our doctor sugested we get a thumb drive that had a medic-alert symbol on it and add it to our keys. If something happens when traveling you have all right at hand and emts look for medic alets.
We scanned in the medical files and had a file titled emergency overview at the top listing meds alergies pre existing conditions etc. When my husband had a cardiac problem the nurse took the drive plugged it into the computer and transfered the whole lot into a file with his name on it. No waiting for a link to the files from the doctor etc. Some doctors nurses will set the drive up for you for a fee. But there are two types one that is just a blank thumb with medical markings and the other has software with questions to answer included.

Just a thought
This is the best information ever. Thank you for sharing. You may have saved a life🦄
Old 06-17-2019, 10:08 AM

what an excellent idea. As a former nurse, I can totally see the value in this
Old 06-19-2019, 04:32 PM

We are moving in soon and looking home and health insurance. Any suggestions would be so helpful. Thanks!
Old 11-05-2019, 09:33 AM

Do not buy into getting your landscape done right away. Almost all of the landscapers that go into the new sections of The Villages are selling "wow effect" plants that may be diseased or stressed. Go with landscapers that are established. Take the time to drive around in the older sections of The Villages and take a look at how mature plants grow before planting. Those beautiful ornamental grasses look great, but keep them at a distance. They can attract rodents and snakes. A lot of the palm trees are not really suited for this area, and they can be very messy and require a lot of care. Drive around outside of The Villages too! Take photos of what appeals to you!
Old Yesterday, 05:53 AM

Hello from Kingston Pa. Here for the month of Dec. looking to buy and relocate here