Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Old 03-31-2021, 10:14 AM
Default Buying and leaving

We are passing the end of April and going back north 2 weeks later so any advice about home watchers that are highly recommended
Old 04-01-2021, 09:19 AM
Default Moving books?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohrig View Post
For those yet to move. An old formula in the moving industry is that you can get 6.5 pounds of household goods +/- per square foot of "under roof" house. (Not including the garage and Lanai) For example, if you buy a 2,,000 square foot house you can fit no more than 13,500 pounds. When your mover does their estimate, they will tell you how much the items you are moving weigh. Don't move stuff that will not fit. As stated by previous posters, bring less not more. If the budget allows, bring the good stuff and replace the rest when you get here.
I have a full library, does the 6.5 pounds formula consider books?

Thank you!
Old 04-07-2021, 02:31 PM
Location: Currently Genesee, Colorado but selling house soon and heading out in a van. We’ll be in TV in Kct

Third time I’ve heard of these solar tubes. What are they and what are they for? Is this different than solar panels?
Old 04-07-2021, 02:35 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 4,432 Times in 1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMeso View Post
Third time I’ve heard of these solar tubes. What are they and what are they for? Is this different than solar panels?
six to twelve inch holes cut into your ceiling & roof, tube place in with glass top & bottom to let sunlight in.
solar light tubes - Google Search
Old 05-09-2021, 05:35 AM

We are new owners but not FT until 2022. This is something we learned when starting to think about getting our own golf cart:

1) The Villages Golf Cart stores are so busy with service requests that they were no longer servicing golf carts that were not purchased at their stores. They simply decided that they needed to take care of their own customers first. I have to agree with them. That convinced us that we will buy from them.

2) If you buy a very good pre-owned and certified golf cart, it will be cheaper but it also comes with only a three year warranty. If you buy new, it may be as much as 2-5k more but you will get brand new, you can order it just as you want and it comes with a five year warranty. That convinced us that we will budget and buy new.

3) If you buy new, it takes about a month to order the cart and have it ready. They will give you a free loaner during that time.

Last edited by Lisa22; 05-09-2021 at 05:37 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 05-09-2021, 08:12 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlheinz19@yahoo.com View Post
We are closing next week on a newly built home but not moving until March/April. I contacted one of the companies that does yard maintenance and pest control.
How much of this stuff do we need to have done before we move down?
Obviously mowing but can we wait on everything else?

$85 a week to mow and weed. $75 a week for just mowing
$75 a quarter for pest control
$47 a month for landscaping
$62 bi-monthly for lawn and shrub maintenance
$50 a quarter for irrigation maintenance
You must have an enormous yard. We're on a cul-de-sac in Belvidere and we pay a service $55 a MONTH to mow weekly and he does all the lawns, trims and blows it. Does a great job.
Old Today, 08:21 AM

I am a native Floridian, been drinking the water since 1948, still alive.
The expensive palm trees are not natural Florida, look around Fenney recreation center and Fenney Spring, to see natural Florida.
Get the lawn service the majority of your neighbors have and you won't hear lawn mowers every day of the week.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.