Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Old 02-16-2024, 04:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLonzo View Post
Well, it's hard to make it a day without internet service. That needs to be done at once. Do they knock on doors?
Reputable ones do not. Our home was internet-ready, since it wasn't a new build. I own my own modem/router so didn't need to wait for them to send me one or bring me one. We didn't need or want cable TV service or internet phone, just internet. There's an Xfinity store near here, so going there with proof of address was a piece of cake. It took - literally - a day. That evening we had service.
Old 02-16-2024, 04:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Research the neighborhood you move into. Designer home streets are less likely to be bought out by investors and future landlords. You don’t want to be located next to a revolving door AirBnB. Court yard villas are prime targets for the STR landlords out for the quick bucks.
You might not be located next to a revolving door AirBnB. Until your next door neighbor dies/moves out, and the new owner decides to set up their home as a revolving door AirBnB after you've already moved in. True story.
Old 03-04-2024, 02:00 PM
Unhappy Termites

I see more and more of my new neighbors, in Spanish Springs, with termite baits and I'm very familiar with Florida termites. I used to live in the Fort Lauderdale area. Let me tell you that the folks in that area and on the west coast know termites. When you see a tent going over a house termites live and die there. Next you will see the house next to it will be tented and so on. I had a saw horse outside my garage with two legs on the dirt and two on concrete. I picked it up one day to find the legs that were on the ground were hollow! I pushed to open an outside garage door and it fell out. The frame was hollowed out. Another time in my office, off garage, one time there was a parade of termites coming up out of the concrete floor through a hole they had made. My house was on a deep water canal and they had obviously been living in the wood pilings that support the house.
The geckos lined up to eat the termites, but couldn't keep up with them there were so many. I opened the outside door so they could get out. The exterminators arrived and drilled holes all over our floors and pumped nine million gallons (exaggerated) of poison down into the pilings to nourish them. If you want to watch for termites just put a board down on the dirt someplace around your house. If there are termites they will find it. I haven't seen a house tented in The Villages tented since I moved here in 2000. You will see their activity. Watch for sawdust. Leave a board on the ground near your house. Those options are FREE and very reliable.
Old 03-04-2024, 03:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldj1938 View Post
I see more and more of my new neighbors, in Spanish Springs, with termite baits and I'm very familiar with Florida termites. I used to live in the Fort Lauderdale area. Let me tell you that the folks in that area and on the west coast know termites. When you see a tent going over a house termites live and die there. Next you will see the house next to it will be tented and so on. I had a saw horse outside my garage with two legs on the dirt and two on concrete. I picked it up one day to find the legs that were on the ground were hollow! I pushed to open an outside garage door and it fell out. The frame was hollowed out. Another time in my office, off garage, one time there was a parade of termites coming up out of the concrete floor through a hole they had made. My house was on a deep water canal and they had obviously been living in the wood pilings that support the house.
The geckos lined up to eat the termites, but couldn't keep up with them there were so many. I opened the outside door so they could get out. The exterminators arrived and drilled holes all over our floors and pumped nine million gallons (exaggerated) of poison down into the pilings to nourish them. If you want to watch for termites just put a board down on the dirt someplace around your house. If there are termites they will find it. I haven't seen a house tented in The Villages tented since I moved here in 2000. You will see their activity. Watch for sawdust. Leave a board on the ground near your house. Those options are FREE and very reliable.
I haven't seen a house tented, inside or outside The Villages since 2002. So what is your point?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.