Here we go...Toto!

Closed Thread
Old 01-25-2011, 07:01 PM

when i first moved here some 40 years ago these florida storms scared me big time! but after a while they became commonplace. you will find their bark is much worse then their bite! if it makes you happy to react like that every time a storm roars through here you will be a happy camper!!! nuff said!
Old 01-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
being prepared is one thing. scaring elderly people living alone is quite another!
All the local tv stations will broadcast continually when we have tornado warnings. The reports stay on because the storms move and other areas in their viewing area are in the zone for the storm as it moves, usually towards the Atlantic.

It's frightening to be alone when that weather radio goes off, but I'd rather know what's happening than to be taken by surprise and be injured or worse. I put tv on because the weather people are VERY SPECIFIC about where and when with these unpredictable storms. As VP said, it's better to be afraid than to be in the line of fire.

There was some damage in Lake County, there's a report on the news right now. The woman being interviewed is telling about a tree that has damaged her house....roof very damaged and rain is just pouring in.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

When all three channels were showing FUCHSIA colored area and there was supposedly wind shears in 50mpr range, and they were reporting ROTATION, it was quiet in Hadley, DARK CLOUDS and no rain and not much wind. Then after a while it rained and the wind blew like crazy.

I think those meterologists need to get a little more direction..........or something. But not complaining, I can do without Tornadoes, but I do like a good hell raisin' rainstorm....

Anyway, it seems to be an ordinary rainstorm happening now and I am glad of that.

I asked Helene if she was afraid and she said "No, not when you are here". Ah the power of Mothers...

Little do our chicks know how we sometimes tremble in our boots.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:17 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
when i first moved here some 40 years ago these florida storms scared me big time! but after a while they became commonplace. you will find their bark is much worse then their bite! if it makes you happy to react like that every time a storm roars through here you will be a happy camper!!! nuff said!
Perhaps I need to clarify......I only make preparations like I did today when we have "tornado warnings". I DO take those seriously, after the tornado of 2007 roared through, causing much destruction. If it's a thunderstorm with no tornado warning we do the normal preparation, unplugging our electronics, staying away from windows, etc. No, it doesn't make me "happy" to react the way I do when there are tornado warnings in the area. But, I feel NOT to do so would be foolish. I am not saying there is a "right" or "wrong" way to respond to the warnings. Each of us has to decide what is "right" for us.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Well said. I totally agree! The longer you live here, the less you get excited. I just turn off the fear pushers. Works for me.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
When all three channels were showing FUCHSIA colored area and there was supposedly wind shears in 50mpr range, and they were reporting ROTATION, it was quiet in Hadley, DARK CLOUDS and no rain and not much wind. Then after a while it rained and the wind blew like crazy.

I think those meterologists need to get a little more direction..........or something. But not complaining, I can do without Tornadoes, but I do like a good hell raisin' rainstorm....

Anyway, it seems to be an ordinary rainstorm happening now and I am glad of that.

I asked Helene if she was afraid and she said "No, not when you are here". Ah the power of Mothers...

Little do our chicks know how we sometimes tremble in our boots.
Apparently the National Weather Service was just issuing one alert after another today. I watched WESH and it seemed they were getting updates every few minutes for a while. I'm not a big fan or tornadoes either, Gracie. After that one in Feb of 2007, I don't care how many times my weather radio goes off, I'll just be prepared. Heck, we had to be prepared for earthquakes and fires in CA, being prepared for a tornado is pretty much the same.

I'm glad Helene feels safe with you around. Even if you are quaking in your boots, I'd feel safer with you around, too.

Last edited by pooh; 01-25-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:29 PM

Was worrying about all of you down there. Sounds like things are winding down. We up here in Buffalo feel like it's spring. -10 yesterday, 30 today. We're 40 degrees warmer than yesterday. No snow in the forecast....the Nor'easter is heading up the coast to the I 95 corridor.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:31 PM
Sage

Channel Nine is now showing a picture of a clearly formed funnel cloud that was somewhere near The Villages this afternoon. I'm looking at the picture on tv. Will look to see if I can find it to post here.

Okay, I looked and found it on WESH. The picture states it's Oxford, really close to us. People nearer the Atlantic Coast are now dealing with funnel clouds, heavy rain and strong winds. Apparently lots of wind around our area, maybe not specifically where you live, but there is downed tree damage, power lines down in Bellview, Lake County.

http://ulocal.wesh.com/_Oxford-FL-To...096/63272.html
The Villages Florida

Last edited by pooh; 01-25-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
being prepared is one thing. scaring elderly people living alone is quite another!
Were all "elderly" and plan to be prepared. Also lived through the tornado that shredded parts of the villages.............wasn't prepared then but like "Villagesflorida" said I am now. Also lived in Fl 40+ years.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

We used to live on the east coast of Virginia, and hurricanes were frequent visitors. We lived on a small island right next to the ocean. After a while you get complacent to all the hubbub and warnings and excited weather reporters . . . . until you see white caps in your front yard and railroad ties floating by. Our house survived Hurricane Isabell, but many of our neighbors' did not. We were without electricity in 90 degree weather for 11 days, but some neighbors did not get power for 6 weeks. We were declared a disaster area with the Red Cross camped on our street, and blockades to keep out rubberneckers and looters. Some houses had rip rap (big boulders along the shoreline) come through the front of their house and go out the back, followed by large ocean waves. Others had severe flooding. Others lost roofs and their homes were drenched. We found refrigerators, stoves, washers & dryers, a/c units in the streets. There were dead horses in the trees. Boats not sunk were moved by the water and ended up on dry land.

Once you experience loss and tragedy like this, you never take weather reports for granted. Tornadoes can also cause tremendous damage, and strike much more quickly than hurricanes.

Better to be prepared for the worst and pray for the best. Designate a safe room in your home and keep a stocked disaster kit there.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:02 AM
Gold member

Wow, a funnel cloud sighted in Oxford and yet my weather radio failed to issue a warning. During the entire time that the weather was at its worst and the TV stations were showing ominous radar/doppler images for this area, the weather radio continued to show a yellow light for a watch. Only after everything moved away and things calmed down did it start beeping and changed to red for a warning. Yet, last year at this time when we had a warning in the middle of the night, the radio woke us up and almost immediately we received the reverse 911 calls from the sheriff. This time ... nothing.

Any idea why there was a lack of notification this time? I would think a funnel cloud sighted in Oxford would be enough to sound all kinds of warnings.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:36 AM
Veteran member

Probably because Redtail said not to "scare us elderly people living alone"..........................
Old 01-26-2011, 08:57 AM
Gold member

I am grateful that the TV stations ignored the wishes of some viewers and gave us detailed updates on what this potentially dangerous storm was doing instead of showing Wheel Of Fortune or a Hogan’s Heroes re-run.

It wasn’t the TV stations that escalated this storm to the highest level of storm danger, Tornado Warning, it was our National Weather Service. And that service has spent billions of tax dollars over the years on technology to keep us better informed and prepared when there is a clear and present danger.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdVinMass View Post
I am grateful that the TV stations ignored the wishes of some viewers and gave us detailed updates on what this potentially dangerous storm was doing instead of showing Wheel Of Fortune or a Hogan’s Heroes re-run.

It wasn’t the TV stations that escalated this storm to the highest level of storm danger, Tornado Warning, it was our National Weather Service. And that service has spent billions of tax dollars over the years on technology to keep us better informed and prepared when there is a clear and present danger.
Very, very well said. We can watch these programs on any night of the week but we only have one chance to take cover when a tornado is bearing down on us.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:07 AM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Overkill???

Being new to TV but not to Tornados I did everything that was suggested. I moved the lanai indoor, gathered special things including food and water and placed heavy quilts, etc. in the shower area. After it was all over we put it all back gladly Thanking God that it was not needed. Next time, I will do it all again. I am anything but an alarmist but I appreciate the way this severe weather situation was handled. It certainly beats the alternative had the weather esculated into a tornado.
I lost 30 mns of time but feel that is a small price to pay for the sense of security I felt that I had done all I could to protect myself and my precious belongings. Just MHO. The good thing is that we could all choose how much or how little we wanted to prepare.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.