Here we go...Toto!

Closed Thread
Old 01-26-2011, 10:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALYBOW View Post
Being new to TV but not to Tornados I did everything that was suggested. I moved the lanai indoor, gathered special things including food and water and placed heavy quilts, etc. in the shower area. After it was all over we put it all back gladly Thanking God that it was not needed. Next time, I will do it all again. I am anything but an alarmist but I appreciate the way this severe weather situation was handled. It certainly beats the alternative had the weather esculated into a tornado.
I lost 30 mns of time but feel that is a small price to pay for the sense of security I felt that I had done all I could to protect myself and my precious belongings. Just MHO. The good thing is that we could all choose how much or how little we wanted to prepare.
I agree wholeheartedly, SALYBOW. I just now dragged back into the house all of the stuff I put in the van in the garage yesterday when the tornados threatened! I am actually thinking now that I may put together a suticase of essential clothes and personal items that I can just grab the next time. These could be clothes that we don't wear regularly or some that have seen better days. I can't imagine having a tornado destroy my home and I (if I am lucky) am left standing in the front yard wearing the only clothes I own. I will never forget seeing clothes and other personal items in the trees off Cherry Lake Rd., adjacent to The Villages, after the 2007 tornado. Will a tornado destroy my home some day? Probably not. Am I going to take that chance? Absolutely not!
Old 01-26-2011, 10:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdVinMass View Post
I am grateful that the TV stations ignored the wishes of some viewers and gave us detailed updates on what this potentially dangerous storm was doing instead of showing Wheel Of Fortune or a Hogan’s Heroes re-run.

It wasn’t the TV stations that escalated this storm to the highest level of storm danger, Tornado Warning, it was our National Weather Service. And that service has spent billions of tax dollars over the years on technology to keep us better informed and prepared when there is a clear and present danger.
I agree and could not have said it better myself.........thanks edvinmass
Old 01-26-2011, 12:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue View Post
Wow, a funnel cloud sighted in Oxford and yet my weather radio failed to issue a warning. During the entire time that the weather was at its worst and the TV stations were showing ominous radar/doppler images for this area, the weather radio continued to show a yellow light for a watch. Only after everything moved away and things calmed down did it start beeping and changed to red for a warning. Yet, last year at this time when we had a warning in the middle of the night, the radio woke us up and almost immediately we received the reverse 911 calls from the sheriff. This time ... nothing.

Any idea why there was a lack of notification this time? I would think a funnel cloud sighted in Oxford would be enough to sound all kinds of warnings.
I'm not sure where you're located NJ, but my radio was screaming at me. Many of the alerts were for Marion county and if your radio isn't set for Marion county, you won't get that alert. I live near the junction of all three counties so I've got my radio set for all three ...thus the symphony of alert sounds at my house.

That funnel cloud picture was taken by an individual that sent it along to the tv station. Great picture. Haven't heard if it touched down and gained tornado status or not.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:39 PM

Pooh,
Nothing about it in the paper or on the TV. Plus Dicky said in another thread that it didn't touch down and no tornado.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:22 PM

I am in Tamarind Grove and my weather radio indicator lights went from amber "warning" to red "watch" and stayed at red/watch for more than an hour yesterday. I also got 3 separate calls from Sumter RedAlert saying to take immediate cover - the fire station on Bonita set up my weather radio yesterday and I am guessing it's only set for Sumter county. I am thankful that I got the phone warnings and radio "watch" indicators, especially now seeing the funnell cloud in Oxford - I'd rather know I did my best to prepare and so did the weather alert system.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:43 PM
Sage

Better to prepare for the worst and hope for the best, than be caught unaware and unprepared. Glad all is well!
Old 01-26-2011, 03:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenia View Post
I am in Tamarind Grove and my weather radio indicator lights went from amber "warning" to red "watch" and stayed at red/watch for more than an hour yesterday. I also got 3 separate calls from Sumter RedAlert saying to take immediate cover - the fire station on Bonita set up my weather radio yesterday and I am guessing it's only set for Sumter county. I am thankful that I got the phone warnings and radio "watch" indicators, especially now seeing the funnell cloud in Oxford - I'd rather know I did my best to prepare and so did the weather alert system.
My radio has the amber for watch and red for warning....be it tornado, thunderstorm, etc.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Better to prepare for the worst and hope for the best, than be caught unaware and unprepared. Glad all is well!
Well the aftermath was a VERY windy day, today. We played golf and you could hardly maintain an upright position on the tee.

No. I haven't been drinking.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Wilson View Post
Pooh,
Nothing about it in the paper or on the TV. Plus Dicky said in another thread that it didn't touch down and no tornado.
I only saw it on tv and then on the computer. It was a viewer photo and there were actually two different names associated with three pictures of the funnel cloud. I've not watched the news since yesterday afternoon. Have only seen storm damage while looking on the computer. Lots of wind damage to rooftops, fences.
It was a pretty cool picture, though, wasn't it! Glad it didn't touch down anywhere.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.