Hey dopey!

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
So you got two carts or cars meeting down or path and you will be in the middle (usually golfers speed it to next tee time) street and you want to be dead right. Why not just step,out of the way and go about you’re walk or run. What’s so hard. Usually single walkers/runners not the problem, it’s when you got 2,3 or 4 abreast yaking and not paying attention the problem.
I get it that some pedestrians are not where they should be (facing traffic, not in the middle of the path). However, none that changes the fact that pedestrians have the right of way on the multi-modal paths. The golf cart(s) can just as easily slow down and pass when safe. The same applies to golf carts passing bikes.

Last edited by GoPacers; 03-16-2019 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:24 AM

Which is the correct side of the street
Old 03-17-2019, 06:01 PM
Veteran member

I was driving today on a 25mph non-residential street that has no sidewalks or diamond lanes. A runner was approaching and as soon as he saw me coming about a hundred yards away, he hopped the curb to get onto the grass. There didn't happen to be any oncoming vehicles and I had more than enough room to swing out and give him a wide berth on the street, but I also gave him a small salute as we passed. He couldn't see behind him to know if I had room to move or not, or trust that I would do so, and I applaud his decision to put life and limb above the slight awkwardness and slowdown involved in momentarily hopping the curb.

So there's one good counter example. :-)
Old 03-17-2019, 06:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Yep, that’s smart step out into traffic, why not go to safe side in the grass? O I might get my shoes wet?
I wasn't going to reply but ....... Seriously? Obviously one would LOOK FOR TRAFFIC before stepping into the diamond lane or crossing the road plus the fact most of the way along O'Dell there are hedges, rocks, branches and dog poop right along the "grassy" side of the sidewalk so aside from wet grass (which is a serious concern for foot health as well as possibly slipping and falling and yes, as well as ruining a $180 pair of running shoes). Have you tried running along the sidewalks here at 8AM so you can EXPERIENCE it before complaining about that which you likely have no experience and have all the answers for? You know the old saying about opinions?
Old 03-17-2019, 06:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I was walking on side walk one evening, and a runner came past in the cart lane.
I asked why they did not use sidewalk, and I was informed the concrete sidewalk is to hard on the knees, whereas ashphalt has 'give.'
So there you go!
And a documented fact. Just like wet feet from RUNNING IN THE WET GRASS getting socks wet which can cause a "fungus among us." The Dangers Of Wet Socks | Foot and Ankle Doctor in St. Paul

Problems With Wet Socks

Aside from being uncomfortable, wet socks can cause a couple issue with your feet. They can lead to:

1. Sores and Blisters – Wetness can increase the friction between the foot and the sock, and if it’s not taken care of, it can lead to sores and blisters on your feet.

2. Rashes Or Athlete’s Foot – Dampness is a breeding ground for bacteria, and rashes or fungus can develop if your feet are constantly in a wet sock or shoe. Keeping your feet dry can help prevent similar issues like athlete’s foot.

3. Trench Foot – Named for soldiers whose feet were constantly exposed to cold and wet conditions, prolonged use of wet socks and shoes in the winter months can lead to damage to the skin, blood vessels and nerves in the feet. It can take months for your foot to heal, and it may never regain some sensations if damage is extreme enough.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 03-17-2019 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:14 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
And a documented fact. Just like wet feet from RUNNING IN THE WET GRASS getting socks wet which can cause a "fungus among us." The Dangers Of Wet Socks | Foot and Ankle Doctor in St. Paul

Problems With Wet Socks

Aside from being uncomfortable, wet socks can cause a couple issue with your feet. They can lead to:

1. Sores and Blisters – Wetness can increase the friction between the foot and the sock, and if it’s not taken care of, it can lead to sores and blisters on your feet.

2. Rashes Or Athlete’s Foot – Dampness is a breeding ground for bacteria, and rashes or fungus can develop if your feet are constantly in a wet sock or shoe. Keeping your feet dry can help prevent similar issues like athlete’s foot.

3. Trench Foot – Named for soldiers whose feet were constantly exposed to cold and wet conditions, prolonged use of wet socks and shoes in the winter months can lead to damage to the skin, blood vessels and nerves in the feet. It can take months for your foot to heal, and it may never regain some sensations if damage is extreme enough.
OMG......really?....That's pulling at straws!!
Steve
Old 03-17-2019, 08:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

For those of you who like to run, Southern Oaks has some beautiful, wide asphalt walking paths that do not allow golf carts.

Today we parked our car at the new CatTail pool, took a look at the new golf course, and went for a long walk (by our standards) on the walking path along Marsh Bend Trail. We saw plenty of golf carts, but they had to stay on the road and deal with the cars. We could walk side-by-side with no fear of being run over.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
OMG......really?....That's pulling at straws!!
Steve
Ya think? I dare you to run (or walk) 5-7 miles a day 6 days a week with damp socks/shoes from stepping in the grass in the mornings.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
For those of you who like to run, Southern Oaks has some beautiful, wide asphalt walking paths that do not allow golf carts.

Today we parked our car at the new CatTail pool, took a look at the new golf course, and went for a long walk (by our standards) on the walking path along Marsh Bend Trail. We saw plenty of golf carts, but they had to stay on the road and deal with the cars. We could walk side-by-side with no fear of being run over.
Been up there (I mean down there) and it's beautiful but to drive ~11 miles down there every day is just a hassle. Nice every so often though for a change of pace (no pun intended).
Closed Thread

Tags
sidewalk, street, side, learn, dopey

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.