Hey dopey!

Closed Thread
Old 03-15-2019, 05:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

If you like to walk or jog, moving to TV north of route 44 was a mistake.

If you do like to walk or jog, move to Southern Oaks where they have walking trails that do not allow golf carts. They will also have walking trails that do not even allow bikes or dogs.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:10 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pklein9747 View Post
I know what you're talking about. There has a been a woman running on Odell Circle in the golf cart lane facing traffic. But there's a sidewalk that runs the entire length of Odell on the other side of street. Why is she putting her life...and those of the people in the carts...in danger?
That is what the OP is talking about.
I recall hearing about a woman awhile ago that was killed doing that.
One morning I rounded a corner and was surprised to come upon a woman walking her dog
in the cart lane, and there was a sidewalk available.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Ahh just another day in... MY! Paradise
Old 03-15-2019, 07:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Every morning I work I see a guy walking with the traffic on the MMP. One day I slowed up beside him and asked if I could give him some advice about walking against the traffic; he said "no, keep your advice to yourself". I smiled and said, "suit yourself, but when your get run over someday, remember today".

Idiot.....
Old 03-15-2019, 09:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishon View Post
Hey dopey!

Use ya blinka!

LOL, quite a few never turn them off. That's worse because if you ASSume the person is turning and they don't ... wham.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pklein9747 View Post
I know what you're talking about. There has a been a woman running on Odell Circle in the golf cart lane facing traffic. But there's a sidewalk that runs the entire length of Odell on the other side of street. Why is she putting her life...and those of the people in the carts...in danger?
Just a guess here from my own experience. Maybe the sidewalk is full of walkers on a nice morning and she would have to run into the street diamond lane with (not against) traffic to get around them? Does she stay in the diamond path when carts are coming toward her or go onto the grass until they pass? When I run (I'm a "he" not a "she") I find it very uncomfortable running on a concrete sidewalk especially where the "blocks" are sometimes dangerously raised enough to trip on and prefer blacktop which is much softer on my feet and old knees so my only WORSE option would be to run WITH traffic on the diamond lane heading down towards Mallory CC to pick up the MMP. That is worse so I go on the other side of the road and watch for oncoming GC's and if I see one go onto the grass. We are all old enough to take responsibility of our own actions and both runners/walkers and GC all drivers need to be observant.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:38 PM

Well that was easy to figure out.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
Please pass the popcorn, thank you!
Old 03-16-2019, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Does she stay in the diamond path when carts are coming toward her or go onto the grass until they pass? When I run (I'm a "he" not a "she") I go on the other side of the road and watch for oncoming GC's and if I see one go onto the grass. We are all old enough to take responsibility of our own actions and both runners/walkers and GC all drivers need to be observant.
Yes, I've seen her up on the grass as I drive by.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:33 AM

According to what I read of Florida pedestrian law, if a sidewalk is provided then pedestrians are "required" to use the sidewalk. If no sidewalk is provided then pedestrians can walk facing traffic. I think the debate is whether the golf cart paths alongside the roads are considered multi-modal paths or not (I believe they are not defined as multimodal paths by the Villages). I am a runner and I appreciate that concrete is very hard on knees/legs and many of us would much rather be on blacktop when that's available but that doesn't make it legal. While golf cart drivers likely have a legitimate concern with pedestrians in the golf cart paths it does amaze me how inconsiderate and unsafe many golf cart drivers are on the true multi-modal paths. Pedestrians most definitely have the right-of-way on those paths.

All the above does is establish who is at "fault" in the event of an accident. I run regularly and I experience significantly more inconsiderate golf cart drivers on multi-modal paths compared to pedestrians I've ever seen in golf cart lanes. If you want to test this, go for a 2-mile walk/run on the multi-modal path and the odds are you'll experience more than one inconsiderate golf cart driver.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishon View Post
Learn to walk on the correct side of the street.
If there is a sidewalk, use it!
I hate when people call my name and then don't have much to tell me. It makes me Grumpy.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
LOL, quite a few never turn them off. That's worse because if you ASSume the person is turning and they don't ... wham.

Majority don’t use them
Old 03-16-2019, 08:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPacers View Post
According to what I read of Florida pedestrian law, if a sidewalk is provided then pedestrians are "required" to use the sidewalk. If no sidewalk is provided then pedestrians can walk facing traffic. I think the debate is whether the golf cart paths alongside the roads are considered multi-modal paths or not (I believe they are not defined as multimodal paths by the Villages). I am a runner and I appreciate that concrete is very hard on knees/legs and many of us would much rather be on blacktop when that's available but that doesn't make it legal. While golf cart drivers likely have a legitimate concern with pedestrians in the golf cart paths it does amaze me how inconsiderate and unsafe many golf cart drivers are on the true multi-modal paths. Pedestrians most definitely have the right-of-way on those paths.

All the above does is establish who is at "fault" in the event of an accident. I run regularly and I experience significantly more inconsiderate golf cart drivers on multi-modal paths compared to pedestrians I've ever seen in golf cart lanes. If you want to test this, go for a 2-mile walk/run on the multi-modal path and the odds are you'll experience more than one inconsiderate golf cart driver.
So you got two carts or cars meeting down or path and you will be in the middle (usually golfers speed it to next tee time) street and you want to be dead right. Why not just step,out of the way and go about you’re walk or run. What’s so hard. Usually single walkers/runners not the problem, it’s when you got 2,3 or 4 abreast yaking and not paying attention the problem.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Just a guess here from my own experience. Maybe the sidewalk is full of walkers on a nice morning and she would have to run into the street diamond lane with (not against) traffic to get around them? Does she stay in the diamond path when carts are coming toward her or go onto the grass until they pass? When I run (I'm a "he" not a "she") I find it very uncomfortable running on a concrete sidewalk especially where the "blocks" are sometimes dangerously raised enough to trip on and prefer blacktop which is much softer on my feet and old knees so my only WORSE option would be to run WITH traffic on the diamond lane heading down towards Mallory CC to pick up the MMP. That is worse so I go on the other side of the road and watch for oncoming GC's and if I see one go onto the grass. We are all old enough to take responsibility of our own actions and both runners/walkers and GC all drivers need to be observant.
Yep, that’s smart step out into traffic, why not go to safe side in the grass? O I might get my shoes wet?
Old 03-16-2019, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

I was walking on side walk one evening, and a runner came past in the cart lane.
I asked why they did not use sidewalk, and I was informed the concrete sidewalk is to hard on the knees, whereas ashphalt has 'give.'
So there you go!
Closed Thread

Tags
sidewalk, street, side, learn, dopey

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.