Hey You Fenney Residents.........

Closed Thread
Old 12-09-2018, 08:41 AM

We haven't golfed in years so the lack of a championship course was not a deterrent. The villages in that area (Fenney, Desoto, McClure) allowed us to get what we want in our price range. It's not like I have to go through an immigration checkpoint to go to BW, LSL or SS. We have heard form the MIL that it is so far! It isn't, I've made the trip from her place in Sunset Point to the Fenney Grill in 22 minutes. Perspective is important within the next two years more amenities will open up with Marsh Bend, Lindenwood and DeLuna.

Was anyone a pioneer when LSL or BW was being built?
Old 12-09-2018, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Hey Dew. Been down Morse all the way lately? They are turnin' ground big time. Bet it won't be long until there will be more golf course in those parts.

They certainly are committing loads of their money into making all promised things happen, looks like to me.
I agree, in couple years Brownwood will be the center of the villages.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:02 AM

We take golf cart to one of the 4 executive courses here. As for championship courses, where I used to live it was 1/2 hour to nearest course and there were not many to chose from. A round of golf with cart was $70. So if I have to drive to one here and pay 1/2 of what it cost up north AND because we have no bridge yet the cart is free, I am all-in.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Was anyone a pioneer when LSL or BW was being built?

When my wife and I first came here, LSL was not there. I would not swear to it, but I seem to remember that the golf courses used to go in before, or alongside the new builds, never seemed to be a new area, without its golf course ready for use.
Seemed that way, but memory not as good as it used to be!
Old 12-09-2018, 02:54 PM

Great questions dewilson58!

Short context first; I just bought a home in the Village of DeSoto a couple months ago... not quite retired yet, but getting close. In general, I am very active.

1. What is your view on golf?:

I was a casual golfer 20 years ago; Wed. PM golf league, an occasional 18 holes with guys from work on weekends, chip & putt courses. Since that time, I haven't been an active golfer. I do anticipate that I will play again in retirement. I am very much attracted to the idea of executive golf courses and view golf, in general, as a great social activity!

2. Golf not important to you?:

It was definitely something i was looking for in a retirement community, but it was not number 1 (not even close).

As an side, I am a big walker and one of the things that was really attractive to me about the Fenney Area was the extensive dedicated walking paths down there.

3. You are assuming courses will come?:

As it is today, there are 4 executive courses within a mile of my home (Red Fox, Gray Fox, Loblolly, & Longleaf). There is another executive course planned further north of the Fenney area (Lowlands), but south of the turnpike. I am more excited about the chip & putt course (Marsh View) opening in the spring as I have played those a bunch earlier in my life and I really enjoy that. Now, the one wild card in all this will be the ability to schedule tee times as buildout progresses and there are more folks in the area. To the best of my knowledge, there are NO courses planned for the Linden and Monarch Grove areas. This could be an issue, although I doubt it given my anticipated playing time.

4. You don't mind driving a car to golf?:

Obviously, it is not a factor for me today. IMO, the bigger issues are NO Regional Rec Center (Everglades construction has just started) and NO local grocery/shopping center. The latter, Magnolia Plaza, has moved from a projected Fall 2019 opening to now a "2020" date?

That's what I got for you today!

Leo
-Tom Robbins
Old 12-10-2018, 08:45 AM

My husband and I both golf mainly the championship courses and we moved to McClure right in Longleaf. We now love the longer executive courses all around us. They are all beautiful!! We’re happy to drive to other courses In Our air conditioned car when we golf championship!! With so many courses within 25 mins. We are super happy!!
Old 12-11-2018, 02:27 PM

I bought in Fenney a year ago but only just visited for 2 weeks in July (yeah I know...HOT). We're renting the place for now and will be visiting again in a week.

Anyway, I golfed a lot when I was younger. Caddied at a nearby Country Club and learned the game. I fully intend to get back "in the swing" when my wife and I finally move in full time in about a year or so. Having said that, the proximity of Championship courses didn't enter into my decision to purchase in Fenney.

When I visited in July, I traveled with my 2 brothers to Lopez and we had a good afternoon. Didn't mind the drive at all, although if it weren't for my brothers' serious golfing attitude I would have gratefully gone to the Red Fox Executive course. As I'm just getting back in the game, that's no doubt where I'll be headed the next time I tee it up.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, courses, important, car, part

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.