Hints on storing automobile

Closed Thread
Old 03-01-2019, 09:02 AM
Default Hints on storing automobile

I am a seasonal owner/resident. Here 5 months per year. I am thinking about buying a car and leaving it in the garage during our time up north. Does anyone have any experience doing this? What do I need to consider? What is the potential downside to the car just sitting for an extended period of time? I appreciate any thoughts from anyone who does this.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

If you are friends with one of your neighbors, you might have them take the car out for a ride once a month, or if you use a house watch service you can see if they will do this. Most newer cars have a constant drain on the battery (computers, etc.), not a big drain, but over that period of time I would expect a dead battery which will probably need to be replaced. I tried a trickle charger on a car we have in storage, and the battery still failed after several months. If the battery completely drains, there may be some drive-ability problems until the computers re-calibrate themselves.
Bottom line, I would try to arrange to have the car driven several miles at least once a month.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:35 AM

Thanks tinker
Old 03-01-2019, 01:41 PM

We take care of a friend's car when they go back north for the summer. After the battery failing and having to replace it, the guy from AAA recommended that the battery be disconnected when not being used. We just hook the battery up every week or so in order to take the car for a short trip then disconnect until the next time.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:22 PM
Veteran member

You can hook up a smart trickle/maintainer charger to the battery while you are away. The are lots to choose from.

Amazon.com: trickle battery charger automotive
Old 03-01-2019, 02:49 PM
Veteran member

I let my car & tractor sit for 7 months up north. Add gasoline stabilizer and drive to use up about 1/4 of tank, then fill with gas and add stabilizer before storing. Connect a battery maintainer to battery. Walmart has a 1 1/2 amp "Battery Tender Plus" (works well) about $40.
I leave "decon" mouse poison in my garage up north to keep rodents away.
Not necessary to start or drive car.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:04 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,327 Times in 1,442 Posts

7 months is a long time to leave a car sit idle without starting or driving it. I would go along with having someone trustworthy drive it every couple weeks and use the fuel stabilizer for sure. Make sure he or she is covered by insurance.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:11 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,611 Times in 1,760 Posts

If the tires are not rotated they develop flat spots from the weight of the car, especially in an unairconditioned garage in the summer. Also watch for "wrecking yard rot" in the sidewalls of the tire from the heat. At least TV has no ozone problem because environmental ozone is hard on tires in places like LA.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-maintena...m-storage.html

Top 5 Reasons Your Car's Tires Are Failing: Mechanic's Diary

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-01-2019, 04:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
7 months is a long time to leave a car sit idle without starting or driving it. I would go along with having someone trustworthy drive it every couple weeks and use the fuel stabilizer for sure. Make sure he or she is covered by insurance.
I've done this for 6 years without a problem.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:06 PM

I use these Schumaker trickle chargers. They work great. I (in my humble, worthless, internet attacked opinion) believe that the battery is the only real major issue.

Amazon.com: Schumacher SC1319 1.5A 6V/12V Fully Automatic Battery Maintainer: Gateway

You can put in StaBil gas stabilizer if you have a full tank of gas, but if you leave it with a small amount of gas in the tank, then you can go get a full tank of fresh gas when you get back.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:38 PM

I leave our FL car sit for 7 months. Disconnect the battery, fill tank and add fuel stabilizer, over-inflate the tires to 50+ psi (this year I may put on blocks). Sometimes have to jump start the first time and put some air in tires. Hasn't been a problem for past 4 years.
Closed Thread

Tags
car, time, experience, downside, thoughts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.