Default Hip roof or not?

Do you like the hip roof design to not?
Old 03-27-2021, 01:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner52 View Post
Do you like the hip roof design to not?
We went with a hip roof for the simple fact that it came standard with the house we built. The next upgraded elevation was about $3,500 more. Figured I could better spend that elsewhere in the house.

On a practical note and I'm not sure if I'm right or not, the hip roof seems like it would handle strong winds better since it has no gables for the wind to catch.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 03-27-2021, 01:09 PM
Veteran member

Yes, Insurance is less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
We went with a hip roof for the simple fact that it came standard with the house we built. The next upgraded elevation was about $3,500 more. Figured I could better spend that elsewhere in the house.

On a practical note and I'm not sure if I'm right or not, the hip roof seems like it would handle strong winds better since it has no gables for the wind to catch.
Old 03-27-2021, 01:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

The hip roof is the main feature in a Cracker style house like those in The Villages. It is based on the chickee huts used by the Native Americans.

Read the book "Classic Cracker" written by professor Ronald Haase, who was originally from New England but now teaches at the University of Florida, or at least he did when he wrote the book..
Old 03-27-2021, 02:13 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts
Default Not completely true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
The hip roof is the main feature in a Cracker style house like those in The Villages. It is based on the chickee huts used by the Native Americans.

Read the book "Classic Cracker" written by professor Ronald Haase, who was originally from New England but now teaches at the University of Florida, or at least he did when he wrote the book..
did a google search and some chickee huts and some had the sloped roof on only two sides. Pretty sure houses in old England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland had many thatched roofs with 4 sloped sides
Old 03-27-2021, 03:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,223 Posts

Hip roofs can help earn a wind mitigation discount.
Old 03-27-2021, 03:33 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

If more than 90% of your total roof is Hip, you will get the Hip roof credit for Wind Mitigation. Also, homes with hip roofs are typically easier to paint, repair stucco, etc.

If you install gutters it will take more linear feet of gutters. Some Hip roofs will cut down on the attic storage area, dependent on the slope of the roof, size of the home, etc. Most homes in The Villages have a 6/12 pitch. I prefer a Hip roof.

Frank D.
Old 03-27-2021, 03:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,880 Times in 2,426 Posts

Quote:

Ouuuuu, that sounds ———?
Old 03-27-2021, 04:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post

One of the big findings after Hurricane Andrew is that fewer homes that had hip roofs were destroyed and those that were damaged were damaged less than gable homes. So yes, you are right. It makes a big difference and this is reflected in the insurance premium discount.

I would not own a home in a hurricane prone area that wasn't hip roof all around. While TV has not historically taken any major hits, there's always the risk of damage.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:48 PM

Quote:

Classic Cracker seems like a very racist name. Surprised that would be referenced today.

The hip roof helps mitigate wind “lift”.
Old 03-27-2021, 05:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neils View Post
Classic Cracker seems like a very racist name. Surprised that would be referenced today.
You can always find the book in the library and tell us what parts seem racist to you. While you are there, you can also find the magnificent book "A Land Remembered" by Patrick Smith. It is historical fiction about a Cracker family that moved into Florida after the Civil War.

Since I have spent 20 years of my life living in Florida, I understand that qualifies me as a Cracker. I like that.
Closed Thread

Tags
hip, roof, design

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.