Historic section

Closed Thread
Old 08-11-2018, 12:21 PM
Default Historic section

We are looking at modular homes in this section and were wondering if anyone can advise about what to look for. My wife is worried about high wind damage and I have seen gray pipes replaced on some sale adds any thing would be appreciated
Old 08-11-2018, 01:48 PM
Sage

Many who live there...seem to love it. But that said, I personally wouldn't live in one here in FL (or anywhere) as they do seem to be damaged more easily in bad storms. IF you're looking...speak to the neighbors and ask them what their feelings (good and bad) are. When Irma hit last Fall though---they were without power and some got flooded (near the ponds). We rarely get hurricanes in Central FL but they do happen.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,118 Times in 2,237 Posts

Check on the age of the mobile/modular home, my stepson has one (not in TV), but these have some unique items in their construction. We evacuate him during high wings, hurricane, or tornado warnings. Also, IMHO, have a detailed building inspection done, you do not want to buy one that will be in need of repair in the near future.
As mentioned above, be sure to talk to any potential neighbors about the effects of IRMA, there were flooded roads in that area.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

The Villages are tearing down the older and less cared for manufactured homes as fast as they can get there hands on them making the area even more beautiful. Some of the manufactured homes look(ed) terrible but there are some amazingly beautiful manufactured homes there and it is easy to find one relatively inexpensive. We spent a month renting there before moving to a different area here in TV but we really loved it. The people "seemed" on average older and also "seemed" a lot more friendlier (both personal opinions). There are no bonds there even on new construction which is a good thing. We did find after speaking to a number of insurance agents that getting hurricane insurance and even homeowners insurance on the manufactured homes is more expensive and that many companies won't even write it due to how they are constructed (mainly the roof) and because they are considered mobile homes. After the hurricane the area was without power for (IIRC) around 2 weeks probably because the main power trunk lines serving the area were above ground. There was some wind damage but not nearly as extensive as we thought it would be.

We actually were a signature away from buying a newly built 2/2 home there except the woman who owned it (for 2 months) wanted almost 15% more than she paid for it which we thought was not permitted for the first year but it is under certain conditions. Since we were under a time constraint we looked elsewhere and ended up buying in another Village. If you are ready to buy there you won't be sorry just look all around where you want to buy for condition of homes around you and look into insurance costs. See how many homes around you are rentals and empty for 1/2 the year. We were also concerned about the "gray pipe issue" but were told most every home had it taken care of. You won't be sorry for buying there and if you do your "due diligence" and ignore some of the BS the Villages Sales Agents tell you. If you do find a place BEFORE buying check with local insurance agents and see what kind of coverage you can get and how expensive it is.

All that being said, one of our friends just (1 1/2 yrs ago) had a brand new manufactured home rolled onto their property and since it was "built" under all the new Florida specs they had some better luck with insurance. It replaced a home their mother owned that was totally infested by mold and couldn't be saved and is REALLY nice and quite large.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:21 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Most have been around for thirty to forty years so apparently they are not as vulnerable as some might think. I have heard that they are hard, and expensive, to insure. You should check with an insurance agent prior to committing. In addition to everything else the resale appreciation will likely be much less than a home or villa. If you are satisfied it is the right thing for you -- enjoy, you will be able to enjoy the same lifestyle as someone in a premier home.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:26 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Also if budget is the concern, and you don't care about the TV amenities, you should look at Water Oak, Spruce Creek South, Continental Country Club and other similar nearby communities. You can still enjoy the squares, the restaurants, and the shopping.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

The other communities mentioned have strong points no doubt but the big thing other than the obvious attractions to The Villages that we have going for us is we own our property, I like that. It changes a Mobile Home to Real Estate. You can get a Reverse Mortgage down the line if needed here but not at the other communities. I don’t like the idea of registration being needed on my home like the other places. The others are cheaper going in but the monthly cost is very high. Check out the specific’s and see if that way works for you.

Insurance wise, no problems here. Since your only insuring the home and not the property your cost will run between $700 and $2000 depending on your coverage and deductibles. When you factor in the tax’s and the insurance cost our opinion is it works.

The roughest part for us was before and during and after Irma. We are prepared better now in every way. Good luck to you OP. It’s been good for us so far other than the Electrical Outage after the storm. All is forgiven as long as it doesn’t happen for the exact reason again. Duke Energy is our power company and did their best afterwards I believe.

Last edited by Nucky; 08-11-2018 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:19 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Well maintained manufactured home is easy to find on the historic side - as are some not so well maintained! Best ins company with good coverage and affordable cost for manufactured home - All In One insurance, Lady Lake [www dot all in one ins dot com] 526 N HWY 27/441, Lady Lake, FL 32159, allinwon@bellsouth.net 352-674-9015 877-838-3417 (Toll-Free Number) Most important concern is making sure the tie down system is up-to-date and floors have not gone spongy. That lost power after Irma was because of a problem with the central station that feeds Lady Lake.

Best features of the historic side besides the neighbors...no traffic, no additional development other than the new gentrified site built homes, mature landscaping, convenience to shopping and medical offices and restaurants [other than TV country clubs], no traffic, easily navigated roads for walking and biking, neighbors who won't complain because you have statutes/flags/plastic flowers in your yard, neighbors who will flock to your new neighbor meet n greet driveway party and will bring their own chair and liquid refreshment, the only brick and mortar post office IN the Villages as well as close proximity to the main Lady Lake P.O., golf cart accessible gas station, no traffic, convenient golf path cart accessibility to lowes/aldi/walmart/cracker barrel/bealls/etc, 3 golf courses, reg'l rec center w/family pool and 2 adult pools that stay open later than other pools and one that has a hot tub and one with a lift chair, cell phone coverage is plentiful and did I mention no traffic? If you prefer traffic, congestion driving on roads with cars and carts, and having shopping and medical offices further from home - another Village might better suit your needs.

The historic side is more like the legacy side now since many of the original owners have passed and willed their property to heirs or their homes have been sold to younger folks. And resale difficulty? lol You're looking there - aren't you? And some of those other communities - homeowners don't own the land their home is situated on - they pay additional rent for the pad the home sits on...Water Oak for sure.

Please know that I am not affiliated with the developer! lol We have only been snowbirds for 10 years - on the historic side - and would not live anywhere else...even if we were permanent residents! Feel free to private message me if you want to discuss further.

Last edited by njbchbum; 08-11-2018 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:17 AM
Platinum member

If you are set on the Historic Side, you could try looking for a new built home. They look really nice and have bigger yards if you are into that. Best of luck in your search!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazdad View Post
We are looking at modular homes in this section and were wondering if anyone can advise about what to look for. My wife is worried about high wind damage and I have seen gray pipes replaced on some sale adds any thing would be appreciated
Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2018, 08:27 AM
Veteran member

There are homes in The Historic side that are stick built, ,there are many, I have one!
Old 08-12-2018, 10:02 AM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

You won’t get full coverage on a modular home. For example if u pay $150k u won’t be able to get that amount in coverage. The insurance co will discount the coverage depending on the age of the unit. So be sure to check what coverage is available before buying
Old 08-12-2018, 11:15 AM

My folks lived in the Historic section for many years in a modular home and loved it. That is until one of the big hurricanes came through (I think it was 2005). They thought the house was going to lift off and fly away with them in it. They sold right after that and moved to a villa in the newer section.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:31 PM

Thanks to all how replied information will come in handy
Old 08-16-2018, 06:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Several friends live on the historic side. One of the most beautifully decorated homes we have ever been in and assuredly the best maintained is owned by one of them. They enjoy the area very much.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:47 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Given our ages, aren't we all living in the historic side.
Closed Thread

Tags
section, gray, damage, worried, high

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.