Historic Side Ongoing Gate Problem

Closed Thread
Old 10-14-2019, 02:02 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
A real gated community, that would be classy! But how would the workers get in, lawn mowers etc? And how much would it cost to switch over.
I believe they are talking about the hole on the wall on the historical side only.

Anyone been to Disney with finger print technology? Might weed out some problem individuals and Disney updates the info constantly.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Well, we could start with the historic side as a gated community, everything else started there.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:43 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Well, we could start with the historic side as a gated community, everything else started there.
Cheaper to put up a wall like the developer tried several years ago. The rest of the Villagers use their cars when necessary, no reason Historical side can’t. You don’t want to be paying for private roads as a gated community.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:05 PM

I don't understand why everyone is so worried about Stonecrest residents being able to drive a golf cart into The Villages.

They can already drive their car where ever they want to go within The Villages. They already can come to the squares and dance to music in the squares. They already come to our restaurants and stores and keep those businesses profitable so they can remain open for the rest of us Villagers. They already can come to our country clubs and play golf. And they can already come to the polo field, attend golf fest, and all the other "special" events.

But even though they can do all those things, they can NOT play on our Executive courses, swim in our pools, play on our pickle-ball courts, or use any of our other amenity functions.

So why are we so upset that they want to drive their cart on our cart paths???? Think about it.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:14 PM
Veteran member

How about a gate that is tall enough that nobody could pass the key card over to someone else? Maybe offset the gates with a barrier between the sides? Sounds harsh, but it would be better than no gate at all!
Old 10-14-2019, 04:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
Cheaper to put up a wall like the developer tried several years ago. The rest of the Villagers use their cars when necessary, no reason Historical side can’t. You don’t want to be paying for private roads as a gated community.
I see your point but solving the problem we are facing now would only cause other problems for people who have been here a lot longer than PROBABLY you and I combined.

When I'm Upset about this I think Build The Wall. That's not a good answer. It would hurt very elderly people (constructive) and those who have looked forward to going to Wawa for Golf Cart Gas and Meatball Sangwiches and the Best Coffee In The Villages since the project was announced almost 2 years ago. (kidding)

Onward for constructive ideas.

Aces, what is there in your Village that's important to you that would upset you if it was taken away? See how the wall would hurt others? I'm sure there is something that would hurt your Village if it was taken from you. We don't want to act like that, do we? We are a Community not Enemies! Let's work on an answer and we can sing Kumbaya, later.

You said: The rest of the Villagers use their cars when necessary, no reason Historical side can’t.

I said: We're talking about a Golf Cart Gate, not cars but since we are slightly off-topic when Irma passed thru or over or around us did you have power? We didn't for between 6 & 8 days. I know its a different subject but those of us who suffered feel like we suffered enough on the Hysterical Side. Our Electrical Equipment was supposedly underwater as per a Duke Energy Repairman. We don't want to be penalized anymore because it is the easy way out. I did my best to express myself in a proper manner. Please keep this thread positive until we get an idea that's an answer. Peace Out! If you haven't seen the gate take a ride. It's really nice over her.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:39 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I see your point but solving the problem we are facing now would only cause other problems for people who have been here a lot longer than PROBABLY you and I combined.

When I'm Upset about this I think Build The Wall. That's not a good answer. It would hurt very elderly people (constructive) and those who have looked forward to going to Wawa for Golf Cart Gas and Meatball Sangwiches and the Best Coffee In The Villages since the project was announced almost 2 years ago. (kidding)

Onward for constructive ideas.

Aces, what is there in your Village that's important to you that would upset you if it was taken away? See how the wall would hurt others? I'm sure there is something that would hurt your Village if it was taken from you. We don't want to act like that, do we? We are a Community not Enemies! Let's work on an answer and we can sing Kumbaya, later.

You said: The rest of the Villagers use their cars when necessary, no reason Historical side can’t.

I said: We're talking about a Golf Cart Gate, not cars but since we are slightly off-topic when Irma passed thru or over or around us did you have power? We didn't for between 6 & 8 days. I know its a different subject but those of us who suffered feel like we suffered enough on the Hysterical Side. Our Electrical Equipment was supposedly underwater as per a Duke Energy Repairman. We don't want to be penalized anymore because it is the easy way out. I did my best to express myself in a proper manner. Please keep this thread positive until we get an idea that's an answer. Peace Out! If you haven't seen the gate take a ride. It's really nice over her.
Nucky, I’ve been here over 15 years. We have to get in our cars for many trips in the 466a area. We could break down the fence in the Trailwinds area for convenience and many other areas because we too enjoy our golf carts.

Were you living here several years ago when an outsider riding around on our golf cart paths went over the centerline and severely injured a biking Villager? There are reasons for the boundaries and trying to keep the number of carts on our paths to a limit.

No animosity, the Historic side can deal with their choices but then shouldn’t complain about the encroachers. Just a thought but you could move between 466 and 466a and have better electrical service
Old 10-14-2019, 07:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
We don't live in the historic section, although we like the area very much and strongly considered buying there. We use the gate in question very often and feel the Villages would be loosing something valuable if "the wall" was put back up. And not all Villagers own a car, some depend exclusively on their golf cart for transportation. We finally picked up a used car for our Villages home, but we survived just fine for several years with only a golf cart (in part because the gate gave us access to places we needed to get to for supplies). Other people depend on the gate for access to medical providers or to get to work.

As I see it, there are only two viable solutions to the gate problem at hand. One would be to have the gate manned 24/7 by a gate attendant that would only allow access to people with a valid Villages ID. The other would be to install a virtually indestructible gate that can only be opened with a valid Villages gate card (along with security cameras for additional protection).

One solution mentioned, removing the gate and allowing anyone access, is simply not an option. This would set a dangerous precedent that anyone, from any property abutting the entire perimeter of the Villages, is free to drive their golf carts on the cart paths that are maintained by the amenity fees paid for by Villages property owners. Many of the golf cart paths are already often overcrowded and dangerous. Allowing a potentially very large number of non-Villagers golf cart access, who are unfamiliar with the cart traffic system, would be a very bad idea. It's already bad enough during busy season when the wave of Villager's guests try to navigate the cart traffic system.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:39 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
We don't live in the historic section, although we like the area very much and strongly considered buying there. We use the gate in question very often and feel the Villages would be loosing something valuable if "the wall" was put back up. And not all Villagers own a car, some depend exclusively on their golf cart for transportation. We finally picked up a used car for our Villages home, but we survived just fine for several years with only a golf cart (in part because the gate gave us access to places we needed to get to for supplies). Other people depend on the gate for access to medical providers or to get to work.

As I see it, there are only two viable solutions to the gate problem at hand. One would be to have the gate manned 24/7 by a gate attendant that would only allow access to people with a valid Villages ID. The other would be to install a virtually indestructible gate that can only be opened with a valid Villages gate card (along with security cameras for additional protection).

One solution mentioned, removing the gate and allowing anyone access, is simply not an option. This would set a dangerous precedent that anyone, from any property abutting the entire perimeter of the Villages, is free to drive their golf carts on the cart paths that are maintained by the amenity fees paid for by Villages property owners. Many of the golf cart paths are already often overcrowded and dangerous. Allowing a potentially very large number of non-Villagers golf cart access, who are unfamiliar with the cart traffic system, would be a very bad idea. It's already bad enough during busy season when the wave of Villager's guests try to navigate the cart traffic system.
I think there should be a three hundred dollar fine for anyone caught trespassing on the paths but as I said earlier, I don’t think any extra cash should be spent on gates when the Historical area residents want to share their neighborhoods with open gates rather than walls.

I have no problem with their decision, enjoy!
Old 10-15-2019, 07:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Well, I'm gonna go against conventional wisdom here, but that gate was put there to solve a problem that never existed. For years and years, there was no gate at that location and I remember, there was a ****ing contest between the Morse family and another nearby developer that caused; first, the impassable wall and then, after an outpouring of criticism, the current gate was constructed. (sorry...run on sentence)

...and for those of of you worried about paying for the cart paths....ok, I get that. I live in Sumter county and pay for the upkeep of the roads in this county...ie 466, 466a, etc. However, all of you folks come to Sumter county and drive your cars on the roads I'm paying for... We, in Sumter county, aren't advocating for a gate to keep everyone, who isn't paying for it, out! That's ridiculous, right ?? So is the gate!

The Morse family has done a lot of good things, but they are the ones that created this controversy.....The gate should be permanently removed and allow free flow of golf carts through that location.

Just one man's opinion.....
Old 10-15-2019, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,455 Times in 3,086 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Well, I'm gonna go against conventional wisdom here, but that gate was put there to solve a problem that never existed. For years and years, there was no gate at that location and I remember, there was a ****ing contest between the Morse family and another nearby developer that caused; first, the impassable wall and then, after an outpouring of criticism, the current gate was constructed. (sorry...run on sentence)

...and for those of of you worried about paying for the cart paths....ok, I get that. I live in Sumter county and pay for the upkeep of the roads in this county...ie 466, 466a, etc. However, all of you folks come to Sumter county and drive your cars on the roads I'm paying for... We, in Sumter county, aren't advocating for a gate to keep everyone, who isn't paying for it, out! That's ridiculous, right ?? So is the gate!

The Morse family has done a lot of good things, but they are the ones that created this controversy.....The gate should be permanently removed and allow free flow of golf carts through that location.

I like the idea of a gate, but it would probably be better to have a red button at it to allow people in and out without needing a gate pass. For the purpose of traffic control rather than security.

Otherwise you'll see people driving cars through that opening, which is only able to handle the width of 2 golf carts each going in the opposite direction of the other.

That golf cart path is sandwiched between the side yards of two residential homes. So it can't be widened to accommodate a car going in each direction, it has to be exclusively a golf cart path.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:30 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post

That would be great! All areas of The Villages would then need to open up to locales carts want to reach. Hear that sucking sound? Opening up the walls of the paths would lower property values in a heart beat and many, many of us would move to the outlining neighborhoods just as quickly and love to use the amenities, thank you for ponying up and paying for my luxuries after I move out.

Last edited by Aces4; 10-15-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:16 AM

During one of the previous dust ups I asked about MMP ownership. I emailed Ms Tutt and this is what I got.

Harry Gilbert
Dec 14, 2013, 9:08 AM
to janet.tutt

Ms Tutt,

I’ve been following the recent dust up on TOTV concerning the use of the Multi Model paths there. With the amount of opinions expressed that the paths were bought and now maintained through the use of amenity fees and the fact that the road system is County owned and maintained has garnered my curiosity. Here in NJ and from what I can find about most states, these types of trails are a gov’t function and not a homeowner owned property. So instead of trying to decide which of the opinions have merit I’ll come right out and ask. Are these paths privately owned and maintained by The Villages VCDD or are they part of the County transportation system?

Thank you for your time

Tutt, Janet <Janet.Tutt@districtgov.org>
Dec 15, 2013, 8:53 PM
to me

Good Evening,

The paths ARE owned by the Community Development Districts (which are government entities). They are maintained through the assessments (taxes) each of the Districts levy on residents annually. The “on road” paths are the responsibility of the government entity that owns the road.

Hopefully this helps.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Have a great week and happy holidays!

Janet

Janet Y. Tutt
District Manager
Village Community Development Districts
3251 Wedgewood Lane
The Villages, Florida 32162
Cell 352.267.4523

"Hospitality, Stewardship, Innovation & Creativity, Hard Work"

Note: Under Florida Law, email communications are public records. If you do not want your email address or email contents released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic email to this entity.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:00 AM

Anyone have an idea when the gate will be fixed. It's been almost 2 weeks.

Rollie
Old 10-23-2019, 08:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollie View Post
Anyone have an idea when the gate will be fixed. It's been almost 2 weeks.

Rollie
Do you think someone posting here is involved in the repairing of Villages gates?

Try asking someone from DPM using this link:

VCDD District Property Management
Closed Thread

Tags
gate, back, historic, card, missing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.