Historic Side Ongoing Gate Problem

Closed Thread
Old 10-14-2019, 09:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I was careful to not accuse anyone of anything because I don't know for sure. I did mention that I saw gate cards being shared between two different Golf Carts. This has happened several different times. The people look at you as if they are intimidating you while they are doing the card sharing. If I'm gonna get down over an issue, this isn't the one I would choose. When I've been asked for my card by a stranger I just point to my ears, shrug and drive away.

The Gate is constructed differently than most. It is a square white ALUMINUM GATE that is very slow to open and close on the articulated arm that folds inward. That in itself sends most people into orbit. My answer would be a substantially heavier gate that would damage anything that ran into it and was impossible to be disassembled. Aluminum can be manipulated by some of the customers who are legit or otherwise. I like the picture dewilson58 supplied but imagine the cost would be through the roof.

I don't know the answer. I'm just reporting the news. Not making the news. My answer would be a very unpopular one if I owned the joint but I'll hold it back for now. What a shame that adults can't be trusted to do the right thing when nobody but a camera is looking. I guess it's the way of the world to do what feels good now instead of what is the right thing to do. Shameful.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You are right on except I think we are allowed to go to Stonecrest. I don't know about Spruce Creek. Anyone can come into The Villages driving a car. My objection is that it just adds more golf cart traffic on our paths maintained by The Villages. I recall two accidents involving golf carts from outside areas that caused harm to villagers. We have enough bad drivers without more golf carts. Including us OLD people.
You are correct, Villagers are allowed to go to Stonecrest. I know this because last winter we drove our golf cart there to play 18 holes. Their golf course is not bad and it is much less expensive and easier to get a t-time there during the busy winter season. We plan to return again for a round of golf this winter.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

The gate is missing, the persons who did it need to pay for it, whether they are Villagers or Whoever. Either the camera there recorded the event or not. If not then why are there cameras there if they do not record critical incidents?
If someone asked to use my Village ID I would say, sure that will be $1908 because that’s what I pay per year to use it.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
The gate is missing, the persons who did it need to pay for it, whether they are Villagers or Whoever. Either the camera there recorded the event or not. If not then why are there cameras there if they do not record critical incidents?
If someone asked to use my Village ID I would say, sure that will be $1908 because that’s what I pay per year to use it.
The gate is missing probably because it is being repaired. This is commonplace with this gate. Usually it is gone for a couple days and caution tapes put up. You will most likely see Villages Watch sitting in their truck observing from time to time while the gate is gone. The aluminum bars break at the welds when hit.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,462 Times in 3,089 Posts

The downside to the whole gate pass issue, is that if the golf cart without the pass is in front of you, then you're pretty much at their mercy. Either you swipe YOUR card to let them through, or you're stuck in the medical center parking lot unable to get home because that is the -only- way to get from that medical center to the Villages via golf cart.

Would probably be more useful to have the windshield magnetic-digital stickers that so many other communities have for their gates. I imagine the stickers would be more prone to theft though, unfortunately.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
The downside to the whole gate pass issue, is that if the golf cart without the pass is in front of you, then you're pretty much at their mercy. Either you swipe YOUR card to let them through, or you're stuck in the medical center parking lot unable to get home because that is the -only- way to get from that medical center to the Villages via golf cart.

Would probably be more useful to have the windshield magnetic-digital stickers that so many other communities have for their gates. I imagine the stickers would be more prone to theft though, unfortunately.
So, are the mag stickers a good or bad idea....or what?
Old 10-14-2019, 11:15 AM
Sage

What would happen if we had 2 passes? One would permanently attach to your vehicle (not stealable) like a sunpass (Villagers who want one would pay for it) and a Village ID you could use for other purposes. I’d love to be able to drive up to the gate and just have it open automatically.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
At least it was a good thought. That would mean re-arming a lot of people with a Sun-Pass like device. That's what we are supposed to be doing looking for solutions. We already know the problem. I like the idea of a very sturdy gate with the hardware to disassemble the arm and gate mechanism impossible to get to by an amateur and if someone tried to run thru the gate you would find the Cart at the point of impact.

I would be freaking out if I lived near this open gate. I know all gates are open after a certain time but there is just something about the one we're discussing that is a little bit more distressing. The people in that hood should be ringing the right phone off the hook till a solution is found.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
What would happen if we had 2 passes? One would permanently attach to your vehicle (not stealable) like a sunpass (Villagers who want one would pay for it) and a Village ID you could use for other purposes. I’d love to be able to drive up to the gate and just have it open automatically.
It's a good thought, but it wouldn't keep people without valid gate pass from breaking the gate.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Yeah I'm confused too! But if I liked them so much..... I would move to where they have them!
Old 10-14-2019, 11:54 AM
Sage

AS long as there is a RED button to operate the gate, the idea of a gate PASS is ludicrous--anyone can access any and all gates in TV, their purpose is vehicle control, not security-- really wish we could program a vehicles homelink to operate the gates, was able to do that in NC--gated community
Old 10-14-2019, 12:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
AS long as there is a RED button to operate the gate, the idea of a gate PASS is ludicrous--anyone can access any and all gates in TV, their purpose is vehicle control, not security-- really wish we could program a vehicles homelink to operate the gates, was able to do that in NC--gated community
NO RED BUTTONS THERE!
Old 10-14-2019, 12:03 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
The Paradise Gate [the gate in this topic] does not have the red button and cannot be accessed without a gate card - necessary for ingress AND egress - unless one chooses to destroy the gate without the use of a gate card.

Homelink would be cool!

Old 10-14-2019, 12:11 PM
Sage

A real gated community, that would be classy! But how would the workers get in, lawn mowers etc? And how much would it cost to switch over.

Last edited by Velvet; 10-14-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,462 Times in 3,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
The Paradise Gate [the gate in this topic] does not have the red button and cannot be accessed without a gate card - necessary for ingress AND egress - unless one chooses to destroy the gate without the use of a gate card.

Homelink would be cool!
The gate in this topic is a also only a golf cart gate. There's no way to get a car through it.

To Bogie Shooter: I like the IDEA of a mag strip. The ones I've used and seen in other communities could be peeled off the windshield, and that would make them impractical for golf carts, that generally don't have doors you can lock to give some measure of security against theft.

Velvet brings up a possibility of a mag strip that can't be stolen - I'm reminded of stickers for different stores where, if you try to peel them off, they rip and become useless. The downside to THAT, is vandalism, random ne'er do wells ripping them intentionally.

It's called brainstorming, Bogie Shooter. It's a fun exercise when you have a challenge that interests you.
Closed Thread

Tags
gate, back, historic, card, missing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.