Do you have a land line phone here or just cell phone?

Closed Thread
Old 04-12-2013, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Do you have a land line phone here or just cell phone?

It has been an ongoing question for me whether to give up the land line and just use cell phones. With the improved 911 capability of cell phones/GPS cel phones, I see little advantage for keeping a hard wired phone in the house.

What do you think/do?

btk
Old 04-12-2013, 09:28 AM
Platinum member

Tell me about "911" capability of cell phones. We were considering a landline just because of 911.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:31 AM

We just have cell phones.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:36 AM

Majicjack Plus is what we use for a land line. The cell phone is ok, but with the Majicjack Plus we use it through the internet connection and it lines to the base phone which then lets the other phones around the house have a connection.

Cost is minimal and uptime is good as long as Comcast internet is live.

It has a 911 designation for our house address so that should be ok.

Only problem was I was unable to get a 32159 zip code phone number so had to select one in Dunellon. That throws people a curve when I dial them from the land line. But you can transfer an existing phone number over to the Majicjack and do it that way.

I had the plain Majicjack earlier, but it required usb connection to running computer. the "plus" version does not require a computer usb connection, but rather a usb connection at your cable/internet router instead.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:49 AM
Sage

We've got cell phones as well as a traditional landline (in OH). The ONLY reason we've got the landline is for our home's security system. Those usually have reliability issues when sending info to the monitoring center in the event of a problem/break-in if it's not done via a hard-wired landline.

Bill
Old 04-12-2013, 10:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

We have a copper landline because it will work during a power outage.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

We've had cell phones only, since about 2004.

You might want to test it out, by forwarding your home phone to your cell phone for a couple months. Try to only use the cell phones, even when at home and see how you like it. You'll also need to be sure you have the adequate cell plan to afford you the additional minutes.

Good Luck!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:23 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
We've got cell phones as well as a traditional landline (in OH). The ONLY reason we've got the landline is for our home's security system. Those usually have reliability issues when sending info to the monitoring center in the event of a problem/break-in if it's not done via a hard-wired landline.

Bill
I think some of the security companies have really improved the wireless technology now. I know that used to be a big problem, but not so much any more. The big problem with the wired security systems are that any burglar with any knowledge will find and cut a land line before they attempt to break in. With the wireless systems, that's not possible. We have Frontpoint Security, a wireless system, at our home in TV and in Kentucky and have never had any problem with the communication with the monitoring center, and we have accidentally tripped it and found out. :-)

Thus, we only have cell phones.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano_hoosier View Post
Majicjack Plus is what we use for a land line. The cell phone is ok, but with the Majicjack Plus we use it through the internet connection and it lines to the base phone which then lets the other phones around the house have a connection.

Cost is minimal and uptime is good as long as Comcast internet is live.

It has a 911 designation for our house address so that should be ok.

Only problem was I was unable to get a 32159 zip code phone number so had to select one in Dunellon. That throws people a curve when I dial them from the land line. But you can transfer an existing phone number over to the Majicjack and do it that way.

I had the plain Majicjack earlier, but it required usb connection to running computer. the "plus" version does not require a computer usb connection, but rather a usb connection at your cable/internet router instead.
There are two other low cost device providers (and their service):
Free Local and Long Distance Calling with netTALK's DUO

Free Home Phone Service | Ooma

I would not overlook (or assume) anything about the security features of any VOIP provider or their devices. That goes double for the really cheap ones. There are differences in the VOIP services... more than just the bells and whistles.

OOMA claims to secure communication traffic over the internet with encryption.

I have not used any of them. So I have no personal experience about how well they work.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:56 AM
Veteran member

Have Ooma for over 2 years and it works great. Only pay federal tax which is about $4.50 a month. Initial purchase of hardware around $200.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xj9a_YRr3w]Ooma Internet phone service review from Consumer Reports - YouTube[/ame]
Old 04-12-2013, 02:01 PM
Gold member

Landline having lived in hurricane areas over the last 20+ years.
Cell phone when traveling.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:11 PM
Veteran member

Cell phones and no landline
Old 04-12-2013, 02:36 PM
Veteran member

We have a landline that is used for OUTGOING calls only. The ringer is turned off and it has no answering device connected to it. We use it to make calls or fax and NEVER give that number to anyone. Otherwise we do everything on our Wally-Mart Straight Talk cell phones.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:21 PM
Gold member

Cell phones only.
Got rid of the land-line about 2 years ago. Mostly because everyone who calls me knows that I always have my cell phone so just got "garbage calls" on my land-line.
No problems.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:40 PM

Also have land line that was bundled with all the services. Cost $10 per month. Prior to that all we had was cell phones for years. We were able to reduce the cost of minutes on the cell phone and it comes in handy for MSG recording faster than the cell, security systems, and not scrambling to find a cell phone when there is a call. There ar e4 phones in the house so near one. Got at Walmart cheap.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.