Holes in window screen?

Closed Thread
Old 02-22-2011, 08:56 AM
Default Holes in window screen?

We have two holes in a window screen, about 3 to 5 inches from the bottom. One is about the size of a penny, the other the size of a dime. There is a flower pot outside underneath the window.

So, my question is, was this some animal chewing at the screen? (there are little pieces of screening on the sill inside the screen and outside) If so, I guess that means nothing outside underneath the window.

Thanks for any info you might have.

MargaretR

PS Still under one year in new house. Is this something home warranty would cover?
Old 02-22-2011, 09:04 AM
Sage

Sandhill cranes were damaging the screens on my friend's lanai. They'd make similar holes to what you've described. Maybe you have the birdies doing the same thing at your home?

Her damaged screens were replaced initially by warranty because they (owners and warranty dept.) had no idea what was causing the damage. Later on, she discovered the culprits and any screen repair was at her expense.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:21 AM

Should have mentioned I am in a courtyard villa and this was a window inside the courtyard. Don't know if a sandhill crane would be in the courtyard, but maybe it was another bird?
Old 02-22-2011, 09:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Should have mentioned I am in a courtyard villa and this was a window inside the courtyard. Don't know if a sandhill crane would be in the courtyard, but maybe it was another bird?

Could be another bird, Margaret. Are your windows reflective? In our other house in CA, we had a tinted vinyl material on the inside, looked almost like a mirror from the outside in certain light. For a while we had sparrows beating the heck out of the windows and screen...thought they were seeing other birds. Hopefully soon you'll find out what's causing the screen damage.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:57 AM

I think I just saw something like a mouse run through my house!
Old 02-22-2011, 12:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I have seen birds pick out the wires in a screen until the whole screen has been removed. I think they use the wire to build their nest.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I think I just saw something like a mouse run through my house!
You can buy a "humane" mouse trap that doesn't kill the mouse, but traps him inside a little box. Use peanut butter as bait.

The mouse will be completely closed inside the box and then you can pick it up and take him far far away (even by car) and release him to enjoy the rest of his little mouse life.

These humane traps are sold at most stores that carry other mouse traps, like Walmart, Walgreens, hardware stores, etc.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:45 PM
Veteran member
Thumbs up I bought a great in-human trap at home Depot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
You can buy a "humane" mouse trap that doesn't kill the mouse, but traps him inside a little box. Use peanut butter as bait.

The mouse will be completely closed inside the box and then you can pick it up and take him far far away (even by car) and release him to enjoy the rest of his little mouse life.

These humane traps are sold at most stores that carry other mouse traps, like Walmart, Walgreens, hardware stores, etc.
Works with a battery , you put a bit of peanut butter at the end inside. When it walks in to eat ZAPPO. You just carry it to outside garbage and tilt, out it slides. No mess reusable.
Wanabee future TVer
Old 02-22-2011, 12:48 PM
Veteran member

Margaret-

Best way to catch a mouse in your house is to release a snake in the house. A 5 foot long king snake would be ideal.

Yes, it does sound as though a mouse has been chewing on the screen. Unfortunately, warranty does not cover mouse damage. If you are into humane traps that will not kill, go for that. Otherwise, the kind that snaps quickly on the mouse neck is the cheapest.

Be sure to patch up the screen holes immediately so other mice or bugs cannot get in. I have Massey Pest Control. They guarantee against mice and rodent damage as well as insect and insect damage.

But...the 5 foot long king snake is still a good option.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Tsk, tsk, diskman....that mouse is just lost. He wants to be outdoors where all the fun is waiting. He's probably chewing a hole in the screen to get OUT. Death is not a fair judgment for being in the wrong place.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:38 PM

Massey is hopefully coming out this afternoon. If they don't use humane traps, we will go out and get some ourselves. I also hope the mouse can be caught by tonight so I can get some sleep!

Tbugs - Snake not an option!!! I'd be checking into a hotel if that were the case! I guess I should be thankful it is just a mouse.

Thanks all for the input.

Margaret
Old 02-22-2011, 07:51 PM
Platinum member

Borrow a neighbor's cat.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:46 AM

So, Massey came out yesterday. Said the holes in the screen were caused by either a sand hill crane (not sure I buy that since we are in a CYV) or a grasshopper (yuk). He also found lizard poop on the inside window sill, so evidently a lizard found the hole and came in the house and it was a lizard I saw scurrying around yesterday, not a mouse. Haven't seen anything since, so I guess there is a lizard somewhere in my house.

MargaretR
Old 02-23-2011, 03:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Thanks for the update. Got this "how to catch a gecko" info from an internet source:

If you find a gecko on the walls of your house, try to coax it to get onto a flat surface like a table. This coaxing should be done with the help of a stick. Just tap the stick gently behind the gecko till it moves. However, make sure that you do not use the stick to poke it. This may injure the lizard.

Once the gecko reaches the flat surface, quickly place a plastic container over it. Once you have the gecko covered, take a newspaper or thick piece of cardboard and slide it under the container. While sliding, try to once more coax the gecko to get onto the newspaper or the cardboard. Once this is done, slide your hand under the newspaper (or cardboard) and then use the other hand to hold the container and take the gecko outside. Then, release the reptile in your garden, in a place where your other pets cannot reach it.

You can even try to catch the gecko with your hand provided you have no qualms about holding a reptile. However, make sure that you do this gently and not hurt the reptile in the bargain. If you are manually catching the gecko, make sure that you immediately wash your hands with soap and warm water as reptiles are known to be carriers of the salmonella virus. Do not try to catch the gecko by its tail as it will come off and the gecko will escape.

The Villages Florida

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.