Home Generators in TV?

Closed Thread
Old 05-14-2020, 05:54 PM
Default Home Generators in TV?

Please share good or bad comments if you have one hooked up to your home in TV. Were there any times it was needed? Thanks
Old 05-14-2020, 06:06 PM
Veteran member

We have a natural gas whole house system that was installed by previous owner. Ours ran for about 1 hr. and 3 hrs. during the last 2 hurricanes, and once for 4 hours a few years ago when a pole on a feeder line to our area of The Villages was knocked down in a truck accident. Other than that, it dutifully tests itself for 15 minutes each week. In short, I would not buy one myself. SECO which serves our area is top notch at maintaining and following up on problems in their system.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Wasn't the power in Pine Hills/Pine Ridge out for numerous days after Irma? I wonder how many people in that area now has generators?
Old 05-14-2020, 07:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

It was really fun after Irma in the Historical Section. About a week give or take without power. I bought one that is the correct size for a Fridge, Window A/C, Television and the Internet and a couple of lamps. uses about 2 1/2 gallons in 12 hours so we'll manage. Many around us have Generacs and love them. It's a personal choice.

The brand new window A/C would go in at the beginning of the power outage and out the minute it's over. I know the rules. Nobody is gonna bust you for trying to survive the heat.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:44 PM

SECO manages our power grid. One outage in 6 years lasting 3 hours.
Piney Hills on the other hand is served by Leesburg Electric which on its better days has been compared to Thomas Edison's first DC power plant in downtown Manhattan.
Old 05-15-2020, 05:44 AM

What it boils down too is this, Does it make you feel more safe/secure/at ease? If it will then get one and who cares what others opinions are.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I've been here for eight years and we lost our power for about five days after Irma. I was fortunate to be able to have borrowed a generator from a friend and ran my refrigerator a couple of lights and a fan off of it.

We've talked about buying one but it seems that it's not worth the money for a few days every eight years.

Are there any generators that are not made in China?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I've been here for eight years and we lost our power for about five days after Irma. I was fortunate to be able to have borrowed a generator from a friend and ran my refrigerator a couple of lights and a fan off of it.

We've talked about buying one but it seems that it's not worth the money for a few days every eight years.

Are there any generators that are not made in China?

Best Portable Generators Made in USA: 2020 - All American Reviews
Old 05-15-2020, 06:58 AM
Veteran member

Thank you for your research, that was nice of you.
Old 05-15-2020, 03:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

I've been here 12 years and hadn't needed a generator yet. I don't think the power going out is an issue so much with underground untilities. I think I'll just wait until it goes out once at least before I shell out $$$ for a generator.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Wasn't the power in Pine Hills/Pine Ridge out for numerous days after Irma? I wonder how many people in that area now has generators?
we're in pine hills and the power was only out for about 8 hours after Irma

for me it's basically about 'pay back' on the investment

we try to run down our freezer when hurricane season approaches
we stock up on non=perishable foods (and if we don't use them, in November we donate all of it to a local food bank)

I bought a huge snow blower after the blizzard of '78 in Massachusetts...I'd still be looking to break even on that sucker

the older areas of TV were without power for much longer than we were...and maybe it was just plain luck

that said, if you want to have electricity no matter what...go for it if it will make you happy and feel safe....it's short money

I've been in FL full time now since 2015...been through a few hurricanes...I'm still trying to get my head around buying or not buying a generator
Old 05-16-2020, 02:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,046 Times in 5,336 Posts

New to area and something new to consider
Old 05-16-2020, 03:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,714 Times in 5,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
we're in pine hills and the power was only out for about 8 hours after Irma

for me it's basically about 'pay back' on the investment

we try to run down our freezer when hurricane season approaches
we stock up on non=perishable foods (and if we don't use them, in November we donate all of it to a local food bank)

I bought a huge snow blower after the blizzard of '78 in Massachusetts...I'd still be looking to break even on that sucker

the older areas of TV were without power for much longer than we were...and maybe it was just plain luck

that said, if you want to have electricity no matter what...go for it if it will make you happy and feel safe....it's short money

I've been in FL full time now since 2015...been through a few hurricanes...I'm still trying to get my head around buying or not buying a generator
You were lucky in Pine Hills if you only lost power for 8 hours. Parts of Pine Ridge were out for 18 hours during Irma. Both villages are served by Leesburg Electric.
Old 05-16-2020, 03:14 PM

We just bought here after moving from the panhandle. A little town called Port St Joe. Hurricane Michael (Cat 5) leveled the neighboring town and crippled us, leaving us without power for 3 weeks. I was the only house on the block with a generator. I ate well and cook lots of food for the neighbors. Came here and have one in the garage. $500 and a little piece of mind.
Old 05-16-2020, 04:29 PM

Moved here in feb. 2017 from St. Thomas, Virgin Islands where we experience many hurricanes and the VI got clobbered by 2 Cat 5 Hurricanes, back to back, Irma and Maria.
I hadn't lived without a generator in decades until I moved here.
When Irma came by up here, I lost power for over a week.
I decided NOT going without a generator ever again. Bought a whole house propane generator with auto transfer switch and now have peace of mind.
I've been without power in the islands for 3 months on more than one occasion but you can get a breeze there if you open windows, have cistern to get water from and everyone has a propane stove. Everything up here is electric/electronic and one really does need AC plus gas stations close and no place to get ice if there's no power for refrigeration.
Many stores, gas stations, grocery stores in VI have generators.
Up here, not so much.
I'd rather have a generator and never have to use it than not have one and need it.
Closed Thread

Tags
home, needed, times, hooked, generators

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.