Leaving the grandkids

Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2008, 12:58 PM
Default Leaving the grandkids

I imagine this subject has been discussed before. We just spent a month in TV and loved every minute of our time. Our biggest stumbling block in moving here is our two adult children and four grandchildren (age 9 to 4). They would be happy for us but we cannot agree on moving 1,000 miles away from them. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:19 PM
Default Re: Leaving the grandkids

We moved to Florida seven years ago. My wife was troubled by the same thing. I told her that she could fly back on occasion to see the kids when she wanted to. Well its been seven + years and she has not flown back yet. We spend seven months in Florida and five months up North and the kids come down school vacation every year. It has worked out well for us.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:28 PM
Veteran member

We shared the same concerns, We are not yet full time TV but my wife wishes we were.
Wife ia watching the grandkids up north this week and she looks like she aged some 15 years . Next week she is coming down to TV and I'll join her week later.
Make the move the grandkids will come down and visit often. Sometimes too often.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Gold member

Much angst over this subject before our move to TV last November.
So far we are surviving. The kids ages 2-7 ,will be down in March and April. I went back for Christmas, and we speak and see them once a week via web-cam. ;D ;D
Old 02-18-2008, 06:40 PM
Veteran member

In the first few years, snow birding might be the answer for you, if you can afford it.

You will not be surprised to find out that many adult children and grandchildren LOVE to visit the Villages. I don't have my own children but my nieces and nephews do love to come here to visit and we love having them down from New York.

It might take a while, but once the grandkids grow a bit older, you wouldn't see that much of them anyway. In the meantime, snow birding and their visits will be great for you.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:28 PM
Sage

My granddaughter just left yesterday for Pa. They will visit you in TV. Our kids and grands adore visiting here. They also bring friends and they love it. You may find they want to come to often and your social calendar is interrupted. Ours zip down every chance they get and that's pretty often. They want to live here now and just skip all the working years in between youth and retirement!!!
Old 02-21-2008, 12:43 AM

I struggle with this question also. I only have one grandchild (18 mo. old boy) but I only get to see him now, maybe, every few months. They live an 1.5 hrs. away and are too busy working (fast pace jobs) to do much visiting. So, I usually drive down to see them. The way I figure it, as he gets older, I may see him more IF I move to TV. My other three kids live in other states too so right now, I only see one of my four, maybe once a week. It's hard to break away but I can't stay here just for that reason. My problem is leaving my ailing mom, dad, aunt. That's why I may buy in the spring/summer (to get a good price now), bite the bullet on mortgage payments (I rent up here in NJ) and move there when I feel the timing is right. On and on I could go. Life is full of hard decisions, isn't it?? Cheers.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:03 AM

I asked the same question a few weeks ago and got allot of good advice
See our problem is where snowbirds now and i want to move to TV full time
But my wife says she doesn't want to leave the kids and her sister(I think its her sister
the most)

Like i said before I'M GOING TO MISS HER :hot: :beer2: :hot:
FT BENJAMIN HARRISON
FT LEE
TAIWAN
QUI NHON VIETNAM 66-67
Old 02-21-2008, 02:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I had the same problem with Mrs, Fumar .......One day I handed her a new cell phone and told her I would call her everyday.........Well not only did she come with me but now she is having trouble remembering the grandkids names ........This sounds shocking but it really isn't , shes so busy with her new life that that she even forgets me on occasion...
fading fumar ;D ;D ;D ;D
Old 02-21-2008, 04:12 AM

I think the women have more of a problem with this than the men. My husband has wanted to get to somewhere warm for awhile now. After spending two months in Florida, I'm ready, too.
New Jersey
Old 02-21-2008, 04:16 AM
Sage

Fumar, you are one funny man. Thanks for the laugh.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.