Home Inspection on a new build???

Closed Thread
Old 06-10-2022, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

D’Angelo Inspections found stuff I would never have. There was romex(electrical wire) touching the vent pipe to our outdoor kitchen. Steve the inspector had to go to the farthest part of our attic to find this. They also found a few minor issues like insulation that had settled. Warranty quickly addressed all the items that D’Angelo submitted, quickly and without question.

Also if you have a smoker, Frank is a great resource for advice and ideas.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 06-10-2022, 09:51 AM
Default Helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
It depends.

It depends on you and your wife................the skill-sets you have.

People who are no comfortable or confident on self inspection should spend the $$$.

If you &/or wife have skill-sets............save your money for other purchases.

Good Luck.
Bad advice! Regardless of skill set, you or your wife is not climbing on the roof or in the attic.
Besides, we bought our house for under $300k seven years ago and is reportedly going for above $700k. If you can’t afford the few hundred dollars for a serious house inspection, then you can’t afford to live here.
Old 06-10-2022, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyrich2 View Post
We had a home inspection the day we closed. They found several items we never would have seen such as missing roof shingles, cracks, tear in screen on lanai and more. The inspection was sent to warranty department and they started working on it immediately. When you hire the inspector to come back before your year is up again, they should provide a discount. It was well worth the extra cost to us to get that head start on repairing what needed to be repaired.
the inspector is not going to give you a discount unless you got something in writing as part of your deal with him, I’ve bought 5 new homes here , I never had many problems and none major what you usually see when you first move in is cosmetic problems that even a non mechanical guy like me can spot , I did have home inspection a few months before the year was up , a couple of the homes had some missing nails in roof , maybe I’ve been lucky , but so have many of my friends , all I can say is the builders do a good job here
Old 06-10-2022, 10:07 AM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi

I recommend very much you get a home inspection from what I have seen published by owners on the talk of the villages who is not any way connected with the builder. From LIc Master Plumber NYC. Especially Plumber, Electrical, windows, sink holes, drainage,, HVAC, structure, sheet rock,, painting, roofing, Make sure you shadow him. Never trust a builder.
Old 06-10-2022, 10:15 AM

The builder will do a walk through shortly after you close. Take notes he will give you valuable tips, like putting 1 gallon of water through your A/C drainage line per month to keep it clear. Turning off your house water if you'll be away for a while etc.
Then the builder will tell you that you have 15 or 30 days to submit a punch list of items that need to be addressed. Check for any hairline cracks in walls, ceilings etc., paint drips on the walls, smooth edges on your window edges, check your exterior water drainage when it rains. (my neighbor reported water buildup between our houses through his warranty, they didn't fix it satisfactorily as it was killing the grass, but 18 months afterwards he was persistent and The Villages installed a drain between both houses to deal with the water at no cost to either of us because he had reported it several times through warranty) Once your punch list is submitted the warranty department will contact their contractors to schedule fixing the issues with you.
Then as others have suggested about 9 months from closing schedule a home inspector to go through your house inside and out. Our inspector found there wasn't enough insulation in the attic along with a number of other things. He submitted the list to the warranty department and they arranged for contractors to come fix everything. It was money very well spent as it saved us quite a bit on repairs.
An inspector that comes highly recommended is D'Angelo Inspections 352-250-7818
Good luck and welcome to The Villages!
Old 06-10-2022, 11:24 AM
Default Quality of build

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
the inspector is not going to give you a discount unless you got something in writing as part of your deal with him, I’ve bought 5 new homes here , I never had many problems and none major what you usually see when you first move in is cosmetic problems that even a non mechanical guy like me can spot , I did have home inspection a few months before the year was up , a couple of the homes had some missing nails in roof , maybe I’ve been lucky , but so have many of my friends , all I can say is the builders do a good job here
You can say the builders do a good job here. That is your personal opinion based on you and your friends being "lucky." Were any of those builds in 2021 or later?

There are many people who are fortunate to not have major or even minor issues. Also, there are those who don't notice problems and there are some who notice and don't care. Unfortunately, I don't fall into any of those three categories.
Old 06-10-2022, 11:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanStCatherine View Post
You can say the builders do a good job here. That is your personal opinion based on you and your friends being "lucky." Were any of those builds in 2021 or later?

There are many people who are fortunate to not have major or even minor issues. Also, there are those who don't notice problems and there are some who notice and don't care. Unfortunately, I don't fall into any of those three categories.
excuse me did you read my whole post , I never said not to get an inspection I said to get one a few months before home and FYI 2020 and yes I sold it after an inspection NO PROBLEMS, not sure (old 83 memory not the same lol ) but I’ve had around 14 homes couple of condos mostly new , so I’m not a novice

Last edited by charlieo1126@gmail.com; 06-10-2022 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-10-2022, 02:35 PM

Totally agree with the others who said to wait 10-11 months after you close. The things you find before then, submit to the TV Warranty Dept and they fix right away. Inspection at 11 mo. mark and submit to the TV Warranty dept after that. Frank DeAngelo is an excellent inspector if you need some options to explore..
Old 06-10-2022, 04:55 PM

That’s what I did and the warranty department worked right from the inspection report.
Old 06-10-2022, 07:20 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

I didn't read the entire list, but it seems most are saying wait until before your one year anniversary. We didn't, we had Frank DeAngelo and it was done before move in. Then again 3 months before the 1 year anniversary.

It costs a little more that way, but we enjoyed having everything fixed sooner. Then the second inspection takes care of anything that comes up later.
Old 06-10-2022, 08:12 PM
Sage

Could I ask what they find on your new home in first inspection
Old 06-10-2022, 09:57 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Could I ask what they find on your new home in first inspection
I suggested two, are you asking me?

We received a detailed report with photographs. It has been almost 3 years now, but it seems like it was over 20 pages. Amazingly detailed. Tiny little scuffs on refrigerator door, that I did not see until it was pointed out. caulking issues on a bathroom sink, sealing around a window in the garage.

All issues were marked with blue painters tape to make it easier to find.

The list was sent into the warranty people and they contacted us letting us know the schedule for repairs, and they contacted the contractors to do the repairs. It was an amazingly positive experience.

The second inspection found fewer issues, some of which were our own fault - things we did or didn't do right.

I have purchased a few homes myself over the years, and the prices put in place here was nothing short of amazing. Every other home I purchase I inevitably felt like I was in the middle between warranty and repairman. Both of them often pointing their finger at the other. I had to coordinate everything. Here NONE of that. Everything was taken care of and I was notified when it would be done. No questions, no haggling - just service.

EDIT: One example was our refrigerator door with a tiny scuff on the top edge. They had to replace the door 3 times to get it perfect. There was never a question of "is this good enough", we said it was, they said, nope, and ordered another. Until they were satisfied it was perfect.
Old 06-10-2022, 10:53 PM
Default Generalized comment

Quote:
excuse me did you read my whole post , I never said not to get an inspection I said to get one a few months before home and FYI 2020 and yes I sold it after an inspection NO PROBLEMS, not sure (old 83 memory not the same lol ) but I’ve had around 14 homes couple of condos mostly new , so I’m not a novice
Yes I read your entire post and my issue is with you generalizing that all of the homes built are of good quality . If you purchased in 2020 then that was prior to PGT windows and Wellborn cabinets - so you cannot say what the current quality of the home build is. A lot can change in a year or two.
Old 06-11-2022, 05:32 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanStCatherine View Post
A lot can change in a year or two.
Based on this comment we should never use any review of any product or company anywhere that is over a year old.

Also, I have found that no product is perfect, more important to me is does the company stand behind it, and make it right. My experience with the developers was excellent customer service, and talking with new comers I see no reason to change the opinion.
Old 06-11-2022, 11:49 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom&JenC View Post
We close on our new home (Village of DeLuna) in 2 weeks. Is it worth getting a regular home inspection on a brand new home? This is our first new home so we're not sure about this. Is the new home guarantee enough protection? it would be nice to save a few bucks, I guess. I'm in favor of getting it, the wife not so much.
On a new house, I would not get an inspection. You do have a warranty and inspection will not show hidden problems
Closed Thread

Tags
home, inspection, protection, wife, favor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.