Home insurance

Closed Thread
Old 04-26-2021, 06:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeroger View Post
We have Progressive Insurance through AAA. They are an unbiased group. Watch out for No-Name insurance peddled by The Villages insurance. They tried to sell me insurance that no one ever heard of - no history of claim payment, not rated by BBB & not listed in JD Powers website. YES, they were cheaper than other companies.
The Villages Insurance recommended Progressive.

After checking with other companies on our own, they were the cheapest, by far...

-Tom Petty
Old 04-26-2021, 06:36 AM

Interesting replies, I have TVI, and they told me Travelers was the lowest quote. So that's whom I went with.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:48 AM
Location: Near Sumter Landing; come down when we can; still live in Forest Hills, a suburb of NYC

My sister just recommended this co to me. She said their price was a little bit better than others, full coverage, speak directly to a person who knows the plans instead of a broker who goves back & forth with info.

Have not used them myself, but i might.
If you call them, please let us know what you think.

Kin Insurance Achieves $100 Million Premium Run Rate in 1.75 Years
Old 04-26-2021, 06:56 AM
Veteran member

When we bought 20 years ago the insurance company did not mention when mitigation reports. This is for a stick build house not a mobile home however and we did not realize the huge discount was available when we found out from a new company about them it was about $50 to get the report and we could save about $200 a year I was really mad about the original company agency not talking to me after all they're supposed to represent me aren't they.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:59 AM
Veteran member
Default Insurance companies

Please keep in mind that there are well over 50 or 75 insurance companies operating in Florida. You should really contact the State department that handles insurance and get a list or go online. Something I never realized is that there is some companies it only handle insurance for a certain groups, like companies or or Banks for armed forces, or firemen. You should also go and get as many quotes online as possible as the rates can vary 100 or 200%
Old 04-26-2021, 07:00 AM
Veteran member

You should also know that rates vary according to your credit report scores and that if you or your partner have a better rate you should apply in that person's name first, the same goes for auto insurance
Old 04-26-2021, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427dave View Post
We got a letter from AIG this month stating they were changing our deductible for roof replacement from $500 to $15,000 deductible. This is for wind and hail, however hurricane is still $500. They stated the reason is because they are having to replace a lot of roofs in the Villages. They then say if you still want the $500 deductible their new rate for that is $2000/year which is double what we were paying. Reminds me of years back when State Farm dropped insuring homes in The Villages due to too many hurricane claims in Florida.
We are actively getting quotes for our new home and not only did State Farm give us a quote, they were one of the lowest.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:15 AM

Do you know of any other Progressive agents?
Old 04-26-2021, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I am looking to hear your recommendations and/or red flags about HOME INSURANCE companies and agents in TV. Any details regarding rates and/or claims for a 2 bdrm, 2 bath mobile home would be helpful.
Callie Bridges
Frank Slaughter Insurance Agency, Inc
Phone: (352)748-2221
Fax: (352)748-0342
callie@frankslaughterinsurance.com

I used her for a mobile home in FL. She went through foremost. They are a major mobile home insurance carrier. She was great.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:51 AM

Every one will have someone. Each is different. Just start calling you will find your home.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:27 AM
Veteran member

Talk to an agent at AAA in Spanish Springs or at Sumter Landing. I changed from the Villages Insurance to working with AAA. What have you got to lose?
Old 04-26-2021, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
We have Progressive through The Villages Insurance. I found progressive's pricing to be very competitive and remember when comparing prices the amount of coverage you have for liability and contents contributes to the cost so be sure to compare apples with apples. That being said, I would not recommend The Villages Insurance and will most likely keep progressive but change agents at some point. TV Insurance has very pool customer service, at least with my experiences with the, and many times you have to wait 24 hours or an entire weekend to talk with anyone over there. Most independent agents will get back to you quickly.
Insurance is interesting. There is no shortage of companies to sell you insurance. If, you have a loss, a claim, only then do you discover how good is what you have been paying for.

My mother worked for an insurance broker. It was amusing to hear about the nonsense claimants would pull. Later, not in Florida, we had a neighbor who was an insurance investigator. Similar tales. At the time, I was into fishing. Some guy put in a claim for
several stolen fishing rods valued at about $100 each complete with a paid receipt for them. Only trouble with the claim is the fact that the store never sold equipment in that price category.

All insurance companies are rated. Auto insurance for example. Your car is totaled.
You are completely innocent, your car was legally parked at the time. The insurance company offers to pay you $$$$$$. You will find you cannot buy the same car you had for that little. Or, again you are completely innocent. Your car is damaged and you have it repaired. Later you go to sell that same car. It is worth less because it has been repaired. You never recover that loss. For that matter you never recover for the time to complete the forms, time on the phone. letters etc. It can and usually does cost you hours.

NO, I've not had a claim in over 25 years. That one my car was legally parked. Someone
decided they could squeeze by I was there at the time. I had a film camera with me-pre cell phones. I got the name phone number from the repair guy who was up on a ladder at the time and was laughing at the stupidity of the driver who hit my car. The company was GEICO. Took them over a year to recover my deductible. I had rental car coverage.
I went through hell to get that money paid and they used this as an excuse to dramatically raise my rate. Some nonsense that due to their error I was paying too little.
I am still amused that they call me trying to sell me insurance. You would not want to be some poor snook calling me to sell me GEICO insurance.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C. View Post
Talk to an agent at AAA in Spanish Springs or at Sumter Landing. I changed from the Villages Insurance to working with AAA. What have you got to lose?
We tend to think I've been with this company for xxxxxx years. So if there is a claim they will know I am a loyal customer. Only a small percentage of customers shop and change.
When, you shop around you will likely find a better deal. They need to attract new customers. A loyal customer will likely be rewarded by paying more for the same coverage.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:16 AM

I have TV insurance. I live in Buttonwood. It has gone up $450 this year. YIKES !!! They said it went up because so many people got new roofs
Old 04-26-2021, 09:26 AM

also if you go thru the villages they prohibit you from contacting the insurance company directly. that is put into your file at the insurance company.
Closed Thread

Tags
home, insurance, and/or, mobile, bath

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.