Home insurance

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2007, 06:01 PM
Default Home insurance

For those of you who have recently bought. How expensive and was it difficult to obtain home insurance at TV? I understand many insurers have pulled out of Florida because of loses due to hurricanes and tornadoes. Anyone has any idea of approximate costs to insurance homes in the $300-400 price range? There was an article in US Today mentioning insurance in coastal area in the $8,000 range. That's way too high. Our home in Chicago is over 1/2 million and our insurance is less than$2,000/year.

Thank you all!!! :-*
Old 09-18-2007, 08:05 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: Home insurance

I received a quote last week. It was for 400K on the dwelling alone with a 2% hurricane deductible and a $1,000 deductible on everything. Total premium was $1,100.

Personally I would not take a $1,000 deductible on non hurricane perils. It's too low. You would want a percentage deductible of at least 1% of the total policy or 3K. You should be buying HO insurance primarily for catastrophic losses and not small claims barely exceeding $1,000. Making claims in that range gets you canceled. The agent quoted that price and I didn't indicate what I really wanted. Since we aren't closing until November I didn't mention what I wanted at the time.

Don't be alarmed by the coastal rates. TV a lot cheaper. Frankly, the homes on the water at the coast shouldn't even be insured at all.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:50 PM
Default Re: Home insurance

Got our insurance through The Villages insurance. Call them and tell them what you are looking at. They were very helpful. They will give you an idea of what you will be looking at. I called them a month before we went down to house hunt.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.