Home insurance deductible

Closed Thread
Old 08-25-2020, 08:01 AM
Default Home insurance deductible

A friend showed me his home owners insurance renewal. There was a new deductible of $15k for wind damage. Looks like it's an attempt of the insurance company to limit their exposure for new roofs for wind damage that has been happening in TV a lot lately.

It will be interesting to see if this is a trend.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Yes, fraud, but lot of starving lawyers out there.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Yes, fraud, but lot of starving lawyers out there.
I don’t understand your post.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:42 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Insurance is for what you can not afford...........base your deductibles accordingly.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,043 Times in 5,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
I don’t understand your post.
Lawyers looking for lawsuits so as to make money. This is what I think he means.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misky1951 View Post
A friend showed me his home owners insurance renewal. There was a new deductible of $15k for wind damage. Looks like it's an attempt of the insurance company to limit their exposure for new roofs for wind damage that has been happening in TV a lot lately.

It will be interesting to see if this is a trend.
You need to read your homeowners policy very carefully. You may have as many as 3 different deductibles for wind depending on what type of wind occurs. There could be a wind deductible, a "named storm" deductible, and a hurricane deductible. These may all be different deductible amounts, even though the damage was caused by wind. You can also purchase additional coverage with different deductibles depending on what you think you need.
Old 08-25-2020, 01:06 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Most home owners have $500 or $1000 deductible. On a declared Hurricane your deductible is 2% of homes value. That what ours is.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:44 AM
Veteran member

Sounds like insurance companies trying to stay in business. Too many call 1-800 fill in the blank lawyers. Someone has to pay and that is us, the consumer.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:12 AM

hurricane wind deductible.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:17 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS Beef View Post
Sounds like insurance companies trying to stay in business. Too many call 1-800 fill in the blank lawyers. Someone has to pay and that is us, the consumer.
Perhaps you can answer a question for me. If I buy new shingles for my roof, they come with a warranty, perhaps twenty-five years, or forty, depending on the quality. However, that warranty is pro-rated, so if my shingles start falling apart in ten years, the maker will only pay part of the cost for replacement, and perhaps not the labor for removal or replacement.

But if you claim shingle damage from a storm, do insurance companies usually pay full replacement cost, minus the deductible, which might be only $500? So if someone is willing to climb onto your roof and certify that you have storm damage, you can file a claim and receive a new roof that might cost $25,000? You get this even though you live in a house that is 22 years old, and your shingles were 25 year shingles and were due to be replaced in the near future, paid for entirely by yourself. The damage by storm might be minimal and debatable, but maybe some lawyer is willing to threaten a law suit if your insurer won’t pay, and the insurer would rather pay than have to spend that much having its own lawyers defend it in court.

I realize that with insurance, we essentially pool our money nationwide so those in need can get paid. I realize this is legal, but getting these new roofs seems rather close to insurance fraud. It saves us a LOT of money we probably don’t have (maybe more than we have paid for house insurance in our entire lives), but actually, usually our “storm-damaged” roofs are still working fine and not leaking. Are we sort-of making false claims and passing on the costs to our neighbors? Is this moral? Does it give anyone qualms?
Old 08-26-2020, 08:27 AM
Red face Ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
Most home owners have $500 or $1000 deductible. On a declared Hurricane your deductible is 2% of homes value. That what ours is.
Our deductible is the same as posted here.

Not understanding original post either!
Old 08-26-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choro&Swing View Post
Perhaps you can answer a question for me. If I buy new shingles for my roof, they come with a warranty, perhaps twenty-five years, or forty, depending on the quality. However, that warranty is pro-rated, so if my shingles start falling apart in ten years, the maker will only pay part of the cost for replacement, and perhaps not the labor for removal or replacement.

But if you claim shingle damage from a storm, do insurance companies usually pay full replacement cost, minus the deductible, which might be only $500? So if someone is willing to climb onto your roof and certify that you have storm damage, you can file a claim and receive a new roof that might cost $25,000? You get this even though you live in a house that is 22 years old, and your shingles were 25 year shingles and were due to be replaced in the near future, paid for entirely by yourself. The damage by storm might be minimal and debatable, but maybe some lawyer is willing to threaten a law suit if your insurer won’t pay, and the insurer would rather pay than have to spend that much having its own lawyers defend it in court.

I realize that with insurance, we essentially pool our money nationwide so those in need can get paid. I realize this is legal, but getting these new roofs seems rather close to insurance fraud. It saves us a LOT of money we probably don’t have (maybe more than we have paid for house insurance in our entire lives), but actually, usually our “storm-damaged” roofs are still working fine and not leaking. Are we sort-of making false claims and passing on the costs to our neighbors? Is this moral? Does it give anyone qualms?
While I see how you can come to that conclusion, let me say our house is 12 years old. We are in an area that Owens Corning admitted to have inferior roofing products.

We have to have a new roof. When our adjuster showed up he blatantly said the roof should have been replaced several years ago. My hubby who KEEPS EVERYTHING, had the paperwork from Owens that they inspected the roof and it was fine. Evidently Owens was cherry picking homes to reroof, ours not being one. Same thing with my neighbor.
Seems to me the fraud is with Owens Corning AND the building inspectors that we pay for through tax dollars.

As far as I’m concerned my insurance company should go after Owens. One thing I know for sure INSURANCE COMPANIES DON’T PAY UNLESS THEY HAVE TO!!! So some are under the influences of the conspiracy theories that everyone including ADJUSTERS are dishonest and make big bucks off of this. My suggestion to them is to relook at who the fraudulent parties are.

Anybody remember the siding debacle? Where were the inspectors when the homes were being built. That was our area too. Had to have an inspection for that too, so far the siding hasn’t blown off the house, thank goodness.

By the way a house 20 year old home with a 25 yr roof, will not be paid for by insurance. The roof will be considered end of life.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choro&Swing View Post

Yes the roof business fraud is alive and well. Just check out all the roofing going on now that is being attributed to a "storm". Also the roofers will put a different amount on the bill but charge less so that they customer does not have to pay any deductible. They just tell the customer they will not have to pay any deductible and that sounds good to the customer and they say "Yes, I want a new roof". The insurance companies are getting gouged by these new roofs that do not even qualify for storm replacement. They have gone to Tallahassee to plead their case with the politicians and State attorney but to no avail. So now if you check your property insurance you will notice for the past 3 years it had gone literally through "the roof". This is so the insurance companies can pay for all the "damaged" roofs.

Last edited by rmd2; 08-26-2020 at 09:11 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-26-2020, 09:26 AM

Is it possible to post the name of the alleged insurance company. Only a rumor until you post a name to go along with your accusations
Old 08-26-2020, 09:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie1950 View Post
By the way a house 20 year old home with a 25 yr roof, will not be paid for by insurance. The roof will be considered end of life.
That is not true. Policies that insure the quality of homes in TV will almost certainly have "Replacement Cost Value" (RCV) meaning when you replace the damaged item it will be paid at full replacement cost ie: new. The insurance company accepted the risk of insuring a roof that is 20 years old it is on them to pay any legitimate claim.

I disagree they pay only when they "have to". The policy is a contract. If something is covered by the policy/contract they are going to pay. Otherwise it is bad faith and that cost them a LOT more than paying claims they clearly owe based on the policy.

I don't mean to come off defending Insurance companies but the reason Florida has marginal (and I'm being kind) insurance carriers is because all the lawsuits and unscrupulous contractors out there taking advantage. If writing an estimate large enough to cover your deductible isn't insurance fraud I don't know what is. Again, we are the ones paying for it in the end.

Tags
insurance, home, damage, wind, deductible

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.