Home insurance deductible

Closed Thread
Old 08-26-2020, 11:20 AM

If you bought homeowners ins from the villages they charge you twice the rate with no sinkhole damage or flood. My insurance is DIRECT with Progressive who owns ASI my second renewal was $460- and I got a refund check on my car ins because I bundled ! If you get auto with progressive you don’t need AAA towing etc because that’s included
Old 08-26-2020, 02:56 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,199 Times in 461 Posts

I have heard stories of people who take advantage of this insurance gimmick, or seems like one to me, to have insurance pay for a new roof. I do not know how they do it or why an insurance company would fall for it but WE are paying for that roof and seems morally questionable. That does not seem to bother people, as long as it is themselves who are profiting. Very sad if true.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM0614 View Post
If you bought homeowners ins from the villages they charge you twice the rate with no sinkhole damage or flood. My insurance is DIRECT with Progressive who owns ASI my second renewal was $460- and I got a refund check on my car ins because I bundled ! If you get auto with progressive you don’t need AAA towing etc because that’s included
Not true.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 08-26-2020, 06:34 PM
Platinum member

Please note, I am not defending the insurance companies or the homeowner. Just adding some insight to the conversation. For full disclosure, we had our roof replaced and the insurance company paid our claim.

We had our roof inspected at our request. It was not someone knocking on the door or leaving a door hanger. The company inspecting the roof told us there was evidence of storm damage. I am 68, with arthritis, and am not climbing up on a roof to verify what we were told. A claim was filed with the insurance company using the information and photos from the initial inspection. The insurance company sent THEIR inspector to look at the roof. He agreed with the initial report and our replacement was approved. I personally think the cost of the replacement was to much, but that is between the roofing and insurance companies. My deductible was the same (2% of house value) if the roof was $5000 or $20000.

Here is what I think is complicating the issue. At some point there was a code change from 3-tab to 4-tab shingles. Most of the roofs being replaced are 3-tab. If there is storm damage to a 3-tab roof, it cannot be repaired. You cannot replace just one shingle or one section. If the shingles are in bad shape, repairing one begets to repairing another, then another, then another, and before you know it the entire roof is replaced. Is it the insurance company’s responsibility to repair the one section, leaving the homeowner on the hook for the rest?
Old 08-26-2020, 06:43 PM

How can you say the insurance companies are being gouged? They have inspectors -- either it's wind damage or not. If it is, it's covered. You pay the premium, you make a claim.....
Old 08-26-2020, 06:46 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM0614 View Post
You need to check your facts. You are correct American Strategic Insurance - ASI is owned by Progressive. Bundling usually save you money.

However, what you need to check is, The Villages Insurance writes homeowners insurance with American Integrity Insurance - AI based in Tampa. From other comments and posts, AI is the company many are complaining about. Not ASI.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:55 PM

Sorry, but the Villages does write HO with ASI Progressive. I have had ASI for HO and umbrella for over two years. I have progressive for auto and get a discount.
Also, someone wrote previously that losses are shared nationwide. Not true. Losses are shared by state and most Florida insurance companies are a Florida only, even though they maybe a national company.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:17 AM
Platinum member

I have been in the insurance adjusting business for 40 years. What you are saying is correct. Insurance fraud is rampant especially where we now live in South Florida. Still working on claims for Hurricane Irma. Lawyers/Public adjusters are pursuing claims alleging that windows in buildings need to be replaced in buildings were damaged where in the wind GUSTS were 60 MPH+/- . We found 3-4 pieces of glass which were actually damaged in a condo complex consisting of over 200 condos.

For a frame home in South Florida and insured for $300,000 we pay $4,000 a year. Concrete block home would have cost us approximately $3000. That takes into consideration that we needed to have storm shutters or impact resistant glass(we paid $30,000 for impact resistant glass) and in the villages we are paying <$1500 a year.

If these trends continue insurance rates will continue to rise much higher than the cost of living increases.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:54 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshgun View Post
Sorry, but the Villages does write HO with ASI Progressive. I have had ASI for HO and umbrella for over two years. I have progressive for auto and get a discount.
Also, someone wrote previously that losses are shared nationwide. Not true. Losses are shared by state and most Florida insurance companies are a Florida only, even though they maybe a national company.
But it is American Integrity that has a reputation of not paying roof claims and has a pending class action lawsuit against them. Not true for most insurance companies are in Florida only. You example, ASI/Progressive is nationwide. Then you have Allstate, State Farm, Nationwide, and The Travelers. These are all national companies.

Tags
insurance, home, damage, wind, deductible

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.