Weather Radios

Closed Thread
Old 06-20-2011, 12:40 AM
Default Weather Radios

I am trying to determine what weather radio to buy for my CYV in Belle Aire. Does it make a difference in what county or even area of the county in choosing? What requirements should I look for? Or should I get a "radio" and something else? I have noted that some folks get "alerts" on their phones/cell phone. How does one sign up/unsubscribe to these alerts after they feel they no longer need to get them?

N. Reading, MA; Hampstead, NH; last stop SummerChase Cottages,TV!
Old 06-20-2011, 06:28 AM
Gold member

I have and like the Midland WR-300 weather radio, available at Wal-Mart for ~$50. It allows you to select which stations (counties) to listen to for alerts and it also allows you to select which alerts to sound an alarm for. I have turned off the alarm for severe thunderstorm watch because during the summer, it would be sounding an alert almost every day in the afternoon.

4/2/2013:

I must change my approval of the WR-300 because mine has failed me the same way it has to a bunch of other people as reported on the amazon.com website for this product. It seems that after a while the weather receiver fails and no longer works and no longer reports any alerts.

I just ordered a Reecom R-1630 and am hoping it lasts longer than the Midland.

Last edited by EdV; 04-04-2013 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Changed recomendation
Old 06-20-2011, 06:30 AM
Veteran member

Publix has one for around $30.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:44 AM
Veteran member

I got my Midland emergency weather radio at WalMart for about $30. It has very easy instructions on programming it to whatever county you want. I set mine to Sumter County only. It has an audible alarm for severe thunderstorms and for tornados. The radio has a battery backup in case the power goes out. You can also have it programmed for free at any firestation.

Very good idea to have one of these emergency weather radios.

I would also recommend buying the Lightning Protection System (lightning rods) for your house. Have it installed by a professional. Lots of lightning strikes around here.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:58 AM
Veteran member

We took ours down to the fire department and they graciously programmed ours.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.