Home Number Two

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2020, 12:47 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts
Default Home Number Two

Well, we said we would never move again, yet we are downsizing to a small designer in Chitty Chatty. We have discovered that the homes are being built with SHEET VINYL flooring in the kitchens, baths and dining areas. Being from the linoleum generation, that gave us an uneasy feeling. Our Villages realtor has convinced us that it is very tuff and wears well. Has anyone got a few yeas with this product that could give a review? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-09-2020, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
Well, we said we would never move again, yet we are downsizing to a small designer in Chitty Chatty. We have discovered that the homes are being built with SHEET VINYL flooring in the kitchens, baths and dining areas. Being from the linoleum generation, that gave us an uneasy feeling. Our Villages realtor has convinced us that it is very tuff and wears well. Has anyone got a few yeas with this product that could give a review? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Are you "designing" your designer home or is a spec home? You should be able to specify the flooring you want. I chose tile throughout our house and have been very pleased. I would never choose vinyl myself.
Born and raised in Toronto; also lived in Sudbury and Winnipeg while growing up; migrated to Atlanta where I lived for almost 30 years and also spent a year in Milan and two years in Rochester, MN (brrrr).
Old 05-09-2020, 06:23 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenneyGuy View Post
Are you "designing" your designer home or is a spec home? You should be able to specify the flooring you want. I chose tile throughout our house and have been very pleased. I would never choose vinyl myself.
It’s a spec and was built with the sheet vinyl. Worst case is to rear out the vinyl and put in laminate. We have all tile now and find the grout to be trouble on and off.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:26 AM

Quote:
It’s an excellent product. So easy to clean and long lasting
Never use wax on it
Only clean with water or a little bit of vinegayin a water mixture
Old 05-09-2020, 07:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,931 Times in 2,454 Posts

My house is tile, I hate it, hard on you’re feet and makes house loud due to noise bouncing off floor and walls.. Got to be carful, you don’t drop something heavy on it will crack.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:26 AM

No need to tear it up, they put laminate right over it. Best to have baseboard removed and reinstalled, nicer looking job. Better yet, put new baseboard. I hate the cheap, small baseboard the villages use. 6" looks great .

IT'S SNOWING Here in MA. In MAY !!!!

Last edited by Kilmacowen; 05-09-2020 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:53 AM
Platinum member

I've had tile for 12 years and would again. It is so easy to clean. I have had no issues with grout.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:02 AM

I had tile floors. Like the OP I had grout issues. It always looked dirty after a couple of years. Should have had it sealed. Tile flooring was very noisy. Ended up putting carpeting through the house to deaden the noise. Now have sheet vinyl. Low maintenance and durable. Very satisfied. Just not as classy as tile.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:10 AM
Veteran member

We recently had Vinyl plank flooring installed over our existing tile. Warmer, quieter and softer to walk on. We asked our flooring company ( Stick and Stone, Wildwood) about the sheet vinyl in the new homes in TV and they said lower cost for product and lower cost for installation.

We had all our small baseboard replaced with 6in, much classier...
Old 05-09-2020, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Just don't come on here in 9 months and say your floor is not wearing "as promised".
Old 05-09-2020, 08:48 AM
Veteran member
Default Love vinyl!

I've lived with both tile and vinyl. I much prefer vinyl. It isn't like the vinyl of the old days. It is wonderful and I would love to have it again. My tile is hard and cold, and sometimes sweats when my windows are open and it is a humid day. I truly hate it. Vinyl is not cold and has a bit of cushion to it. It looks beautiful and is so easy to care for. I even read an article recently saying vinyl is making a comeback because of these reasons. Good wishes for your new home.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:52 AM
Veteran member

I had sheet vinyl installed in my kitchen and bathrooms. There's a wide range of prices and quality to match. A lot of vinyl is more expensive than laminate per sf.

It's been about six years and it's proven to be very durable. (Although it can tear or gouge if you're trying to drag a fridge across it or something.) I have the cushiony type that doesn't have a slick surface, and it does need to be mopped more often than my previous tile since dirt/dust isn't as readily swept away. But I also choose a light color that shows more dirt. D'oh.

Since it's already in the house you want, there's always the option to replace it later if you're dissatisfied.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:01 AM
John41

bought in 2006 near Lake Sumter Landing and our 14 year old vinyl flooring still looks new. just mop with warm water, easy cleanup.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:08 AM

We have sheet vinyl in our home. Very cheap product. When furniture placed makes dents in the vinyl. In one area when couch moved vinyl ripped a little. Putting down luxury vinyl flooring soon.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

I’ve had 5 new homes in villages , first things I do is take up floor , change ceilings fans, put solar tubes in baths and kitchen area , add plantation shutters and replace the slider blinds and paint . I’ve had wood and tile I find that because I leave the AC at 80 and shut it off when I sleep the tile keeps everything a little cooler , but I like the look of the wood a little better and think next home will be wood or some of the new laminated wood , in the end it’s just your preference, but3 things I find important are plantation shutters, solar tuber and painting, you’ll see the difference they make I also find if you can afford it , to do these things early so you’ll enjoy now I do all these things before I move in house because I sell all the furnishings with the home and no I never lose money because of the way everything is set up. I also have a vision of each homes decor . before I buy anything . Remember this is new home have a little fun with it be bold
Closed Thread

Tags
realtor, villages, convinced, feeling, uneasy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.