Home Owners Association

Closed Thread
Old 03-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Veteran member
Post Home Owners Association

Just received mail from The Villages Home Owners Association and am looking for input as to whether or not this is something we should join. If this thread has appeared someplace else, my apologies. I searched using the site search engine and found nothing.
I'm not looking to open up a can of worms...just looking for some insight. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:56 PM
Sage

There are 2 H.O.-type of groups for TV residents:

The Villages Homeowners Association

Property Owners, Association of Florida

It's not a requirement to join either one.

Bill
Old 03-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Platinum member

There are really two entities purporting to represent homeowners in The Villages.

The Villages Homeowners Association (VHA) works with The Developer to maintain standards and address issues.

The Property Owners Association (POA) is perhaps an older organization but has, in some circles, a reputation for negativity and for actually fighting The Developer.

I joined the VHA almost as soon as I moved here some 7 years ago. I do not belong to the POA, mostly because they were, for a very long time, dedicated to vitriolic diatribes against the various injustices they saw. Their tone has cooled down lots - and, I mean, lots - in the last couple of years, and I may, someday, decide to join them.

The VHA does some very worthwhile stuff, and I think it's definitely a worthwhile organization. Membership dues are so modest as to be ridiculous - the last I remember, $12 for a two-year membersip for your entire household!

SWR
Old 03-03-2012, 04:14 PM
Sage

We joined the POA mostly because it has taken the lead in addressing problems that seemed to be ignored. The vinyl siding issue and the A/C copper line issue are two that immediately come to mind. They have been proactive in contacting ATT about poor service in southern areas of TV and are collecting information about golf cart accidents that seem to be ignored by the Sun.

I agree that when I first got here about 6 years ago, the POA was more strident and even confrontational, but it has reduced the rhetoric and adopted a very professional attitude in addressing issues and keeping the homeowners informed (see: IRS issue).

IMO, both groups have a purpose, but the POA appears to be more concerned about taking care of homeowners.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:13 PM
Gold member

We are members of both as I believe that each, in their own way, has done some good things.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 03-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swrinfla View Post
There are really two entities purporting to represent homeowners in The Villages.

The Villages Homeowners Association (VHA) works with The Developer to maintain standards and address issues.

The Property Owners Association (POA) is perhaps an older organization but has, in some circles, a reputation for negativity and for actually fighting The Developer.

I joined the VHA almost as soon as I moved here some 7 years ago. I do not belong to the POA, mostly because they were, for a very long time, dedicated to vitriolic diatribes against the various injustices they saw. Their tone has cooled down lots - and, I mean, lots - in the last couple of years, and I may, someday, decide to join them.

The VHA does some very worthwhile stuff, and I think it's definitely a worthwhile organization. Membership dues are so modest as to be ridiculous - the last I remember, $12 for a two-year membersip for your entire household!

SWR
It appears there has been a change in their approach to problems. I agree they were combative and negative but I find they are now approaching problems with a lot more finesse. I believe their roll as watchdog is invaluable.

The HOA is the Developer's tool. I am not saying they are not worth the price of membership. They just don't tackle issues that may cast the Developer in a negative position.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Veteran member
Smile

Thank you all for your comments. You've made the decision much easier. I asked because I know of cases (not in TV) where HOAs were virtually meaningless to the property owners and accomplished nothing.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:34 AM
Eternal Member

A side benefit is that you do join the Home Owners Association or the Property Owners Association you can use your membership card for discounts in many of the shops and restaurants in TV.

I am a lifetime HOA member and I figure I have already paid for my membership several times over.

If the POA had a lifetime membership option, I would think about getting their card also.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Gold member
Default The POA

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
It appears there has been a change in their approach to problems. I agree they were combative and negative but I find they are now approaching problems with a lot more finesse. I believe their roll as watchdog is invaluable.

The HOA is the Developer's tool. I am not saying they are not worth the price of membership. They just don't tackle issues that may cast the Developer in a negative position.
Agree with the above. Keep in mind that the POA's past stridency in its dealings with the Developer, while probably a strategic mistake, was more than justified by some of the Developer's actions. Take a look at the facts behind the class-action lawsuit. If we, as residents need representation in a future dispute with the Developer, e.g., an unfavorable outcome of the IRS investigation, the POA will be there for us. The Developer-subsidized HOA will not.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.