Whitney Houston, right wing tribute

Closed Thread
Old 02-13-2012, 10:16 AM
Default Whitney Houston, right wing tribute

This is NOT a political statement, although the following was put out by the Campaign to Defeat Barrack Obama (CDBO). Rather, midst all the stories about Whitney over the past few days I feel this to be the most comlimentary I've seen...and I'd simply like to share it with you. So, hopefully, if judge you must, please judge the contents (Whitney), not the package (CDBO).

Also, apologies if the link to the 1991 Super Bowl video doesn't show (a novice here). But you can easily get it at YouTube by simply searching "Whitney Super Bowl" there. The article.....

"This weekend the world was rocked by the news that singing sensation Whitney Houston had died - apparently the result of an overdose of prescription medications combined with alcohol.

"Ms. Houston obviously battled many demons in her life, scarred by the pressures and stress of an overwhelming fame that few of us will ever know or understand.

"Regardless of your views about Whitney Houston or her politics (which she kept largely under wraps), we can all appreciate her enormous talent.

"One thing in Whitney Houston's career stands out for us as a shining moment of greatness. The year was 1991, and just 10 days previous, President George H.W. Bush had committed America's military men and women to the Persian Gulf War to help liberate Kuwait, and protect Saudi Arabia, from invading Iraqi armies under the control of Saddam Hussein.

"We can argue about the merits of that military intervention, but the fact remains this: the Commander in Chief of the United States military had committed our sons and daughters to combat, and the nation was gripped in attention, wondering how this would play out for our troops and America's interests. The recording of her performance was released as a single, and for the first time in American history, the Star Spangled Banner became a Top 10 song on the nation's music charts.

"What you may not know is that Whitney Houston dedicated her proceeds from the single to veterans of the Gulf War. Following the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks her performance of our national anthem was once again released as a single, and again Ms. Houston donated her proceeds - this time to the firefighters and first responders who bravely served this nation.

"Ms. Houston could have gone down the politically correct path of so many other celebrities and refused to perform. Or she could have botched or mocked the performance the way that Roseanne Barr had (when she grabbed her crotch and spat after her screeching performance) or botched the words of the national anthem - as Christina Aguilera recently did.

"Instead, Whitney Houston lent her talents and abilities to proclaim her love for this country. With millions watching, and thousands on hand - including some of our brave military men and women - Whitney Houston gave her heart and soul for this great nation.

"It is times like these where labels such as Republican or Democrat, conservative or liberal, are rendered trivial and meaningless. What unites us is that we are ALL Americans, and on this momentous day, Whitney Houston gave her talents to celebrate the greatness of this nation, and to show honor and respect for our brave military men and women.

"We hope you'll enjoy watching her performance, and that it will touch your heart and soul as much as it has for all of us. On this day, we all stood united, and the spirit of patriots and freedom-loving Americans was given voice by Whitney Houston. Before you watch it, you might want to grab a Kleenex - this performance will touch your heart and likely lubricate your tear ducts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=5jeUINzHK9o

"Above: Whitney Houston casts a gaze at Old Glory
This morning we posted a link of this tremendous performance to our Campaign to Defeat Obama Facebook page. Most people were appreciative and were in awe of Whitney Houston's performance. However, a handful of people wondered why we would celebrate someone whose life ended in such disarray.

"With all due apologies, to those people who feel that way, we respectfully disagree. We all are sinners, we all are imperfect individuals, and we all face our own demons.

"What we CAN do, is celebrate that which is good. We can set the ideal for what we strive for, what we cherish and hope to achieve. On this momentous day in 1991, Whitney Houston gave to all of us the better part of her humanity. That is something that should be celebrated and honored, and we are pleased to do such today."

Last edited by BostonCelt; 02-13-2012 at 10:27 AM. Reason: post link
Old 02-13-2012, 10:24 AM
Sage

That's a great tribute to Whitney Houston!

Chuck
Republicans for President Obama

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 02-13-2012, 10:27 AM
Veteran member

I just said this morning that Whitney's "National Anthem" should be played everywhere...all the time...it is such a moving performance and brings tears to my eyes everytime I hear it.

I am so proud to be an American. Thank you, Whitney, for reminding me of that.

And thank you, Boston Celt, for a excellent post.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:36 AM
Sage

I saw Whitney's performance of the Star Spangled banner on the New York Daily News web site.

It is the best rendition I ever heard. Spectacular and moving.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-13-2012, 10:43 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonCelt View Post
This is NOT a political statement, although the following was put out by the Campaign to Defeat Barrack Obama (CDBO). Rather, midst all the stories about Whitney over the past few days I feel this to be the most comlimentary I've seen...and I'd simply like to share it with you. So, hopefully, if judge you must, please judge the contents (Whitney), not the package (CDBO).

Also, apologies if the link to the 1991 Super Bowl video doesn't show (a novice here). But you can easily get it at YouTube by simply searching "Whitney Super Bowl" there. The article.....

"This weekend the world was rocked by the news that singing sensation Whitney Houston had died - apparently the result of an overdose of prescription medications combined with alcohol.

"Ms. Houston obviously battled many demons in her life, scarred by the pressures and stress of an overwhelming fame that few of us will ever know or understand.

"Regardless of your views about Whitney Houston or her politics (which she kept largely under wraps), we can all appreciate her enormous talent.

"One thing in Whitney Houston's career stands out for us as a shining moment of greatness. The year was 1991, and just 10 days previous, President George H.W. Bush had committed America's military men and women to the Persian Gulf War to help liberate Kuwait, and protect Saudi Arabia, from invading Iraqi armies under the control of Saddam Hussein.

"We can argue about the merits of that military intervention, but the fact remains this: the Commander in Chief of the United States military had committed our sons and daughters to combat, and the nation was gripped in attention, wondering how this would play out for our troops and America's interests. The recording of her performance was released as a single, and for the first time in American history, the Star Spangled Banner became a Top 10 song on the nation's music charts.

"What you may not know is that Whitney Houston dedicated her proceeds from the single to veterans of the Gulf War. Following the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks her performance of our national anthem was once again released as a single, and again Ms. Houston donated her proceeds - this time to the firefighters and first responders who bravely served this nation.

"Ms. Houston could have gone down the politically correct path of so many other celebrities and refused to perform. Or she could have botched or mocked the performance the way that Roseanne Barr had (when she grabbed her crotch and spat after her screeching performance) or botched the words of the national anthem - as Christina Aguilera recently did.

"Instead, Whitney Houston lent her talents and abilities to proclaim her love for this country. With millions watching, and thousands on hand - including some of our brave military men and women - Whitney Houston gave her heart and soul for this great nation.

"It is times like these where labels such as Republican or Democrat, conservative or liberal, are rendered trivial and meaningless. What unites us is that we are ALL Americans, and on this momentous day, Whitney Houston gave her talents to celebrate the greatness of this nation, and to show honor and respect for our brave military men and women.

"We hope you'll enjoy watching her performance, and that it will touch your heart and soul as much as it has for all of us. On this day, we all stood united, and the spirit of patriots and freedom-loving Americans was given voice by Whitney Houston. Before you watch it, you might want to grab a Kleenex - this performance will touch your heart and likely lubricate your tear ducts:

This morning we posted a link of this tremendous performance to our Campaign to Defeat Obama Facebook page. Most people were appreciative and were in awe of Whitney Houston's performance. However, a handful of people wondered why we would celebrate someone whose life ended in such disarray.

"With all due apologies, to those people who feel that way, we respectfully disagree. We all are sinners, we all are imperfect individuals, and we all face our own demons.

"What we CAN do, is celebrate that which is good. We can set the ideal for what we strive for, what we cherish and hope to achieve. On this momentous day in 1991, Whitney Houston gave to all of us the better part of her humanity. That is something that should be celebrated and honored, and we are pleased to do such today."
I believe this is the link you were trying to enter: Star Spangled Banner Whitney Houston - YouTube

As for the handful that question why the CDBO would celebrate someone whose life ended in such disarray, I wonder if they equally question why Jennifer Hudson as well as the Grammy Awards Show for doing the same. I'd bet not!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 02-13-2012, 11:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
"It is times like these where labels such as Republican or Democrat, conservative or liberal, are rendered trivial and meaningless. What unites us is that we are ALL Americans"

We all are sinners, we all are imperfect individuals, and we all face our own demons.

"What we CAN do, is celebrate that which is good. We can set the ideal for what we strive for, what we cherish and hope to achieve."
I think we have all forgotten that we are all brothers and sisters in one nation, under God, The United States of America.

These are words to live by.

Thank you to whomever wrote this.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:44 AM
Sage

Quote:

Whitney Houston (1963-2012) - Super Bowl XXV (1991) - The National Anthem of the United States - YouTube

EXCELLENT POST. VERY WELL SAID. What gets me is that she isn't even cold in her grave yet and they are talking about her drug abuse non stop.

If it was the anti anxiety prescription meds mixed with alchohol as thought to be.......the physicians wrote the prescriptions for the psychotropic drugs and she , for whatever reason, probably in a groggy state , consumed the pills with alchohol.........but who really knows? She was at the age of perimenopause, so that might explain her being "sweaty" when exiting the party. The news must really have been slow this past weekend.

When John F. Kennedy died, no one rehashed his sordid past or womanizing. The press had a bit more finesse in those days.

I do not condone taking drugs....it's just "have a little respect for the dead".
She had a beautiful voice, was and is a beautiful and generous soul.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.