Old 07-30-2011, 09:45 PM
Veteran member
Default 2008 maps

Wonder what current map looks like?
Old 01-18-2012, 12:06 PM
Default Home owners insurance rates

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkpender View Post
I recently read that insurance companies in Florida are going to readjust rates on homes inland to be comparable to the rates that they charge to coastal properties. It's based on the assumption that the risk from hurricane damage is higher inland than they previously thought. As someone who is considering moving to central Florida (The Villages) in the future I was wondering what the approximate yearly rate for homeowners insurance is for a $200,000 home in TV.
Anyone want to weigh in on currant rates and coverages.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:25 PM

Current homeowners' insurance rates as of Feb, 2012: Dwelling coverage is for $290,000 (excludes land value). Includes $500 deductible for sinkholes and hurricanes. Cost is around $1,050.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:19 PM
Default Anyone use AARP (Hartford)??

I use AARP for auto and H/O in CT. Has anyone got coverage with them down here?
Old 01-18-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTgolfer View Post
Current homeowners' insurance rates as of Feb, 2012: Dwelling coverage is for $290,000 (excludes land value). Includes $500 deductible for sinkholes and hurricanes. Cost is around $1,050.
Who do you have insurance with?
Old 01-19-2012, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodie View Post
Who do you have insurance with?
Our HO insurance is with Security First Insurance. We purchased it from AllState near Walmart on 466. You can get a quote from Elaine Fissette at (352) 753-4340.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
I have ASI coverage for my Designer model through the Villages Insurance. July '09 - $1300. July '11 $1800.00. Same coverage, no claims. Hardly in keeping with the inflation rate.
Unfortunately that's what happens when you lose alot of large insurance carriers to compete with. Supply and demand. I guess the most important thing is that insurance to cover a loss is available, and they are solvent enough to pay the claim.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTgolfer View Post
Our HO insurance is with Security First Insurance. We purchased it from AllState near Walmart on 466. You can get a quote from Elaine Fissette at (352) 753-4340.
Thanks for info. I did call them, but Elaine was busy so I talked to Mike. He said that all of their companies don't write policies covering the minor sinkhole, only the catastrophe sinkhole.

So, I have called the Villages Insurance who want me to go with Ark Royal, which is a sister company to ASI. The agent said that ASI stopped writing policies in this area over a year ago.

Has anybody dealt with Ark Royal?
Old 02-13-2012, 05:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodie View Post
Thanks for info. I did call them, but Elaine was busy so I talked to Mike. He said that all of their companies don't write policies covering the minor sinkhole, only the catastrophe sinkhole.

So, I have called the Villages Insurance who want me to go with Ark Royal, which is a sister company to ASI. The agent said that ASI stopped writing policies in this area over a year ago.

Has anybody dealt with Ark Royal?
What is a minor sinkhole?
Old 02-13-2012, 10:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member

There are two types of Sinkhole coverage and you really need to know what you have in your policy. All Florida policies will have catastropic ground cover collapse coverage with the typical deductible at what ever your all perils deductible is for your policy. Most are written at either $500 or $1000 deductible. This insurance kicks in when your house is ordered to be vacated by government authority and at the point of being condemed. Alot of people assume this type of coverage to be "sinkhole insurance" but its all in the definitional terms.

The Issue before us that is causing the high insurance rate increases deals with 'Sinkhole loss" which is defined as the gradual movement of earth supporting your property(or sinkhole activity) and typically idenitifed with cracks in the wallls or foundations, or doors and windows cannot open properly. This is the so called "Minor" sinkhole loss but believe me if you need repairs for this type of damage it is very expensive. This type of damage does not get the front page newspaper reports and your house is not typicaly ordered to be vacated by a government authority.

Do not confuse Catastropic Ground Cover Collapse as being sinkhole insurance that covers gradual movement of earth supporting your property. They are totaly different in what they cover and their cost and deductibles. To make many policies affordable for sinkhole coverage that includes "gradual earth movement" companies are starting to impose a 10% deductible on such coverage. For a home valued at $300,000 and insured for $250,000 (no land), your deductible (OR YOUR OUT OF POCKET EXPENSE) would be $25,000 before the insurance company would start paying. This makes the hurricane deductible at 2% seem like a bargain.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:23 AM
Veteran member

Our annual bill just came in. Raised the hurricane coverage. all in all 10% increase

"The difficult we can do immediately the impossible just takes a little longer"
Old 02-14-2012, 08:26 AM
Gold member
Talking

I agree with you Russ!! I'd rather we could stick to the question or statements, WITHOUT bringing politics into the fore front!! Keep up the good work. Hopefully we can get back to Property Insurance, and find out if we can get a higher deductable on Sinkhole Insurance to bring premium down??

Last edited by PaPaLarry; 02-28-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.