Home Security

Closed Thread
Old 10-25-2021, 06:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,605 Times in 942 Posts

So someone with 1 post asks about security systems and people are telling the person what type of security system they have; that they dont lock their doors?
TV is safe, but some things shouldn’t be shared on social media.
It’s not that hard figuring out where most people live - i know there are past posts from some folks that I live in XXXX village, or near this street……

Admins should be a little more vigilant here.
If you’re moving to TV, would your first post be about security systems????
Old 10-26-2021, 08:04 AM

I purchased a Ring system prior to moving here (at Costco, back in home state). Back there, I had a monitored system that cost about $40 a month. We didn't use it all that often, but it gave peace of mind.

I didn't want spend that much money again on a subscription -- especially since my wife works from home.

I have a Ring camera and the Ring security system and it costs $10 per month. Still don't use it that often, but nice to have for trips and late nights out.

I think I like outdoor cameras more than the security system. We have several Blink cameras that we have facing doors and it alerts when someone comes into frame.

Last thing, even though this is the "The Villages," we have a lot of non-residents in our neighborhood. Half the houses are still being built. If you read the villages----news.c0m, you might even be worried about the adult children of Villagers among us. Having a security system is not a bad idea, but I don't know that it is necessary. Ten bucks a month to me is worth the option of using the system when I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeg_55 View Post
Do people find the need to install a security system for their home

If so what system do you install
Old 10-26-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
We have a dog that is very vocal. However, at Nick's Vintage Train store in downtown Wildwood, that's located right across from City Hall, I do have a very good ADT system.
How is your new store going? I've got to get over to see it soon. Hope business is good!
Old 10-26-2021, 09:26 AM

Best system is a good neighbor. I have a dozen great neighbors.

No wires required!
Old 10-26-2021, 05:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
So someone with 1 post asks about security systems and people are telling the person what type of security system they have; that they dont lock their doors?
It’s not that hard figuring out where most people live - i know there are past posts from some folks that I live in XXXX village, or near this street……

Why not..
If they are new to their neighborhood, their first concern is to protect their investment…. If you ask about anything else everyone tells you not to change anything in their house until they have lived in the house for awhile.

I think you would be surprised at how many get their ducks in a row, way before closing. We have owned homes since 2010, did everything remotely, for lawn care, home watch, pest, heating, cooling, electrical and plumber. TOTV was our go to advice for use of contractors.

And yes we got info for security, as each home we built, was one of the first ones to move in, with only couple of homes occupied.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

Quote:

Don’t Worry Be Happy
Old 10-26-2021, 06:49 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

So I guess I shouldn't let them know where the UA 571-C Automated Sentry Guns are emplaced then?

I have cameras on the house, I have a NEST doorbell cam, I have a garage camera, heck I even have a camera on my garage door opener. Most of that was because we didn't live here full time, but it's still there and working and it's nice to review when when something comes up.

Like what was the animal in the back last night? Enormous rabbit! What got the garbage? Ricky Raccoon! When I'm not home, the wife makes sure the security is on. Peace of mind. Low crime here, sure. Unlikely? Sure. It's unobtrusive, not very expensive so why not?
Old 10-26-2021, 09:20 PM
Platinum member

Any security system that uses the internet can easily be blocked by a smart burglar as they approach your property.
Perhaps more important is the detection of smoke or a broken water pipe in the house causing a flood.

Skip
Old 10-27-2021, 07:48 AM

I was a police officer in a relatively high property crime city. Break ins were uncommon there unless you were a known drug dealer with stashes of drugs and cash.

I had a blink camera system on my home up north because of all the cop hate, but I never had any issues. I have that same system on my home here because I like to know when I get deliveries.

Blink is cheap, easy to set up, easy to use, and there are no subscription fees.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:38 AM

How much is peace of mind worth?

That's something every individual family has to decide for themselves.

As a side note, Check with your insurance carrier may be a discount
Closed Thread

Tags
home, security, system, install, find

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.