home style

Closed Thread
Old 12-14-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Crocker View Post
I want stucco just because it seems more like Florida. The sided homes are beautiful, inside and out, but I have had sided here in Michigan and love the 'tropical' look of the block.
We live in the Grand Rapids area and we also have only had sided homes. Hopefully, TV will be in our future.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Sage

Less maintance on stick, more wind protection with block, although once a window or door goes then the wind could lift the roof off on either. You pay quite a lot less for stick and that's what I have after living the last 58 years in nothing but block in S. Florida. We don't have the strick wind codes that they have in S. Fla. so I guess they figure we have less of a chance of getting a catagory 3 or higher hurricane.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

We moved into our poured concrete wall CYV in July and we found setting our A/C on 81 degrees was perfect. On occasion if I just came back from riding somewhere in the open golf cart on a hot day I might turn it down to 80 for a few minutes and I never put it on 79 because that was too cold. My electric bills in Maryland were $300 to $400, so my $90 to $130 bills here have been nice.

Vinyl siding I hear is an attraction for snakes, they like to slither up inside the space between the vinyl siding the the plywood walls. Although most snakes are harmless, I still wouldn't care to see one crossing my yard when I'm walking my dog. That's one reason I bought a CYV was for the fence and the protection from other creatures. Also as someone wrote, I had a vinyl siding home up north and stucco looks more Floridian to me.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Gold member
Default what I was told

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
Thanks for the info. I had several concerns about frame built homes with the main concern being bug or termite damage. The other concerns were holding up to the weather and the insulation value of the walls.
The salesman I was with , told me that you can have termite damage with a cement or block home...the termites can eat the roof rafters ,So the lesson here is to get termite protection...I too thought termites would not harm a cement house.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Vinyl siding I hear is an attraction for snakes, they like to slither up inside the space between the vinyl siding the the plywood walls. .
For those that don't know, the vinyl siding is ATTACHED TO the plywood walls.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy steam View Post
The salesman I was with , told me that you can have termite damage with a cement or block home...the termites can eat the roof rafters ,So the lesson here is to get termite protection...I too thought termites would not harm a cement house.
Termites eat wood. A block home will have furring strips nailed to the wall that holds the wallboard inside. Most of the walls have metal studs, but mine has some wood studs. Of course the roof is all wood.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:04 AM
Gold member
Default Decision

It is something you will go back and forth with for quite awhile. And maybe why many Villagers move three times we have been told?

Gracie and Bill spell out the reasons for both quite well. Some people have no option for a Block Home only the Frame is available.

I talked to several builders before deciding. My curb appeal heart was leaning toward Block but my Garage and my wife's Lani requirements had us end up with a frame.

Remember Block or Frame. The roofs can both be ripped off just as easy if the force is strong enough. When I asked my builder to double the Hurrican strapping he re - assured me that was not necesary. With the strapping codes now required if they fail then we should not be any where near or in that home.

Bugs will get into any home! As will mice and other critters. Pest control is a fact of life and will protect any home is done properly and on time.

It all comes down to budget space and curb appeal. My saleperson, God Bless his sole was so helpful in our decisions.

One thing I did was upgrade to stronger two sided coated steel doors with 1/3/8 solid foam centers.

Herv
Old 12-15-2011, 04:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuys View Post
One thing I did was upgrade to stronger two sided coated steel doors with 1/3/8 solid foam centers.

Herv
The code in S. Fla. says all exterior doors must open OUT. Regardless what they are made of, if the door isn't supported by a frame all around it on the inside as an outside opening door it will only be held from blowing in by the latch. The first thing I noticed when we bought our house was the door opened in unfortunately.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
We live in the Grand Rapids area and we also have only had sided homes. Hopefully, TV will be in our future.
Hi fellow Michigander! I have a granddaughter that lives in the Grand Rapids area, we're just outside of Detroit. Have you been to TV yet? I see you just started posting so welcome to TOTV!
Old 12-16-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingtothevillages View Post
I just completed my search, etc. and bought a concrete and stucco. I like to looks better than frame/vynal and have spoken to several residents who were in the frame/vynal and sold to purchase a concrete/stucco - they stated that their utility bills were significantly lower. I just purchased a Courtyard Bungalow at Mission Hills and it has poured concrete/stucco rather than the block and stucco - ANYONE know what difference I might notice with poured concrete rather than block ???????
vinyl
Old 12-16-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
As with anything there are pro's and con's to each. I own one block and two stick built homes. Termites may be worse in stick built, but your going to have to have a termite contract on both and the price is the same so not sure that is an issue.

Block or poured concrete homes need to be painted every 5 to 7 years vinyl does not. And both require pressure washing at a minimum annually.

Stick built gives about 1.2% more square footage home for home. 4 inch walls vs 8 inch walls. Stick built is a whole lot easier to add electric outlets or exterior wall mount TV's or new cable outlets in the future.

Concrete seems to be a little quieter, maybe less energy, but I can't prove that and so far all measures I have done prove the opposite. Only thing I can guess as to why is the stick built homes have better wall insulation as both have the same attic insulation.

No data to prove, but I agree with Bill, concrete and hip roofs should hold up better in high wind.

Concrete costs more and will increase your tax bill slightly FOREVER.

Having both and lived in both, I am not sure I would prefer one over the other. Location, location, location should far out weigh the concrete vs stick built issue. If building new on a specific lot and could chose either, would probably chose block for the better storm protection if budget was not an issue.
Lots of great points,but if finances are not an issue,i would go with stucco/block home every time.Like that old adage "you get what you pay for."
Old 12-16-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuys View Post
It is something you will go back and forth with for quite awhile. And maybe why many Villagers move three times we have been told?

Gracie and Bill spell out the reasons for both quite well. Some people have no option for a Block Home only the Frame is available.

I talked to several builders before deciding. My curb appeal heart was leaning toward Block but my Garage and my wife's Lani requirements had us end up with a frame.

Remember Block or Frame. The roofs can both be ripped off just as easy if the force is strong enough. When I asked my builder to double the Hurrican strapping he re - assured me that was not necesary. With the strapping codes now required if they fail then we should not be any where near or in that home.

Bugs will get into any home! As will mice and other critters. Pest control is a fact of life and will protect any home is done properly and on time.

It all comes down to budget space and curb appeal. My saleperson, God Bless his sole was so helpful in our decisions.

Herv
You are a teacher after all---"SOUL"
Old 12-16-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Crocker View Post
Hi fellow Michigander! I have a granddaughter that lives in the Grand Rapids area, we're just outside of Detroit. Have you been to TV yet? I see you just started posting so welcome to TOTV!
Thanks for the welcome. We were at TV two weeks ago and loved it. I'm ready to move but my wife has a little more time before she can retire. We're still trying to get as much information as possible before we make the move.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:47 PM
Gold member
Default Garage Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
The code in S. Fla. says all exterior doors must open OUT. Regardless what they are made of, if the door isn't supported by a frame all around it on the inside as an outside opening door it will only be held from blowing in by the latch. The first thing I noticed when we bought our house was the door opened in unfortunately.
Sorry for the confusion. I was refering to the Garage Overhead Doors! not the others,
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.