home style

Closed Thread
Old 12-14-2011, 09:02 AM
Default home style

Which type of home is better, frame built or block and stucco? We were at TV last week and saw both but I'm curious what current residents have to say.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:22 AM

I just completed my search, etc. and bought a concrete and stucco. I like to looks better than frame/vynal and have spoken to several residents who were in the frame/vynal and sold to purchase a concrete/stucco - they stated that their utility bills were significantly lower. I just purchased a Courtyard Bungalow at Mission Hills and it has poured concrete/stucco rather than the block and stucco - ANYONE know what difference I might notice with poured concrete rather than block ???????
Old 12-14-2011, 09:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

In the same style home, for example, Gardenia,Camellia, the block stucco ends up having a little less square footage inside because the walls are thicker. Or so I have been told.

It seems that the roofs were blown off frame and block stucco alike during the tornado that touched down here a few years ago.

I think some framed homes with the newer cuter shingles are just as nice looking as the block stucco.

We had a frame in Hadley and loved it and we have a block stucco now and love it.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:56 AM
Sage

Any of the three types of home construction being built presently in TV (stick-built, CBS, poured walls) meet current construction code requirements. Many people feel that the two concrete-based construction types will hold up better in high winds. Choose whichever type of construction you'd prefer - much of it comes down to personal preference.

A couple of other thoughts about construction types:

- I feel that the two concrete-based home types will be more resistant to pest intrusion. Strictly a logic-based conclusion on my part. Stick-built homes will have a gasket material of some type between the outside walls' sill plates and the concrete slab. My guess is that, even with the gasket closing up the gap between the bottom of the sill plate and the slab, there will still be ways for insects, etc. to get inside. Poured walls and concrete block exterior walls - it's concrete/mortar right on the slab. No gaps.

- I believe you'll find that homes with gable roof construction will be somewhat more expensive to insure than homes with hip roof construction. Winds will have more of a tendency to flow over a hip roof whereas gable roofs provide additional vertical surface to the exterior walls of your home which will have more of a tendency to be impacted by high winds.

JMHO!!

Bottom line - Pick what YOU like the best in a home. "It's all good!"

Bill
Old 12-14-2011, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the info. I had several concerns about frame built homes with the main concern being bug or termite damage. The other concerns were holding up to the weather and the insulation value of the walls.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Any of the three types of home construction being built presently in TV (stick-built, CBS, poured walls) meet current construction code requirements. Many people feel that the two concrete-based construction types will hold up better in high winds. Choose whichever type of construction you'd prefer - much of it comes down to personal preference.

A couple of other thoughts about construction types:

- I feel that the two concrete-based home types will be more resistant to pest intrusion. Strictly a logic-based conclusion on my part. Stick-built homes will have a gasket material of some type between the outside walls' sill plates and the concrete slab. My guess is that, even with the gasket closing up the gap between the bottom of the sill plate and the slab, there will still be ways for insects, etc. to get inside. Poured walls and concrete block exterior walls - it's concrete/mortar right on the slab. No gaps.

- I believe you'll find that homes with gable roof construction will be somewhat more expensive to insure than homes with hip roof construction. Winds will have more of a tendency to flow over a hip roof whereas gable roofs provide additional vertical surface to the exterior walls of your home which will have more of a tendency to be impacted by high winds.

JMHO!!

Bottom line - Pick what YOU like the best in a home. "It's all good!"

Bill

Thanks for info on the hip vs gable roof. Can you elaborate a little. My insurance company that I might go with just asked if our house will have a hip or gable roof. We are building a Lantana with a hip roof. I just don't know what the difference between hip and gable is.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:21 AM
Sage

Here is some info on hip and gable roof construction with a photo or two:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_roof

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gable

Bill
Old 12-14-2011, 10:32 AM
Sage
Default Choices during construction?

When building, do we have the choice of poured concrete or concrete block?? Do we also have a choice of hip or gable roof? Don't know just how many choices we have with construction.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
When building, do we have the choice of poured concrete or concrete block?? Do we also have a choice of hip or gable roof? Don't know just how many choices we have with construction.
Those things are dictated by which particular home/floor plan you choose.

Some models that are stick-built will have a version that is CBS construction - some won't. Some are poured wall construction only - Allamanda, for example.

If you look at a particular floor plan on TV's web site, the page that gives you the details on it will tell you about the type of construction it is.

Bill
Old 12-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodie View Post
Thanks for info on the hip vs gable roof. Can you elaborate a little. My insurance company that I might go with just asked if our house will have a hip or gable roof. We are building a Lantana with a hip roof. I just don't know what the difference between hip and gable is.
Many insurance companies give a small discount for hip roof. Apparently less damage in wind storms. If you havew one make sure your agent knows about it.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:09 PM
Gold member

I want stucco just because it seems more like Florida. The sided homes are beautiful, inside and out, but I have had sided here in Michigan and love the 'tropical' look of the block.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:27 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

As with anything there are pro's and con's to each. I own one block and two stick built homes. Termites may be worse in stick built, but your going to have to have a termite contract on both and the price is the same so not sure that is an issue.

Block or poured concrete homes need to be painted every 5 to 7 years vinyl does not. And both require pressure washing at a minimum annually.

Stick built gives about 1.2% more square footage home for home. 4 inch walls vs 8 inch walls. Stick built is a whole lot easier to add electric outlets or exterior wall mount TV's or new cable outlets in the future.

Concrete seems to be a little quieter, maybe less energy, but I can't prove that and so far all measures I have done prove the opposite. Only thing I can guess as to why is the stick built homes have better wall insulation as both have the same attic insulation.

No data to prove, but I agree with Bill, concrete and hip roofs should hold up better in high wind.

Concrete costs more and will increase your tax bill slightly FOREVER.

Having both and lived in both, I am not sure I would prefer one over the other. Location, location, location should far out weigh the concrete vs stick built issue. If building new on a specific lot and could chose either, would probably chose block for the better storm protection if budget was not an issue.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:08 PM
Sage
Smile

If the storm is bad enough, it really doesn't matter. In 2007 when the tornado hit TV, my frame cyv neighborhood was completely decimated as were brand new concrete block homes nearby.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:32 PM
Platinum member

My Gardenia is block/stucco. When it was built nearly 7 years ago, the stick version had a different model name (can't remember now what it was). An option I had was to fill the blocks with a spray-foam insulation, which I believe makes it "snugger!" I doubt that the "poured concrete" can accommodate that.

Having seen many poured concretes in the construction phase, I'd hazard a guess that the so-called loss of interior space caused by blocks would be regained, as the walls seem quite thin.

Termites. I resisted (unsuccessfully) any treatment against them when I built. Today, I was visited by a Massey rep wanting me to do a renewal program. He made it clear that even the smallest settlement cracks which have appeared over the years are prime locations for termites to get in! After much reluctance, I signed off on getting a renewed treatment.

I was told that the original treatment had a "shelf life" of just about 5 years. The new treatment will cover for 10 years.

I still think the threat of termites is over-blown, but now I should never have to worry ever again. Or, so I've been led to believe!

As others have said, build what you want! The quality of product (homes) has always been excellent.

SWR

Last edited by swrinfla; 12-14-2011 at 02:33 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-14-2011, 03:01 PM
Veteran member

Our CBS Courtyard villa is $135.00 per year less for insurance. I know this because the agent rated it first as a stick built and I pointed out that we had a CBS and she rerated it. We also like the looks better than sided. I think it is a bit quieter too.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.