Home swimming pool

Closed Thread
Old 08-29-2020, 10:21 AM
Veteran member

With 89 Swimming pools in TV I don't understand why anyone would go to the expense of having one built and then paying to have it serviced but have it. I had one in Atlanta before moving here eight years ago and I will never have another one.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:22 AM

We moved here from just up the road (Gainesville). Opted not to go the pool route here, but had one for 13yrs. in Gainesville. We did not have an auto fill, and never had any problems, but, if you are away for months at a time, and don't have a pool service while you are away, OR, if pool situations are different here from most places, you might want one.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Private pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForChange View Post
With 89 Swimming pools in TV I don't understand why anyone would go to the expense of having one built and then paying to have it serviced but have it. I had one in Atlanta before moving here eight years ago and I will never have another one.
Everyone has a different perspective. I would not live here without a pool. Privacy, convenience, and night swimming are a few of the reasons why. Additionally I control the water temperature and my pool water is cleaner than TV pools.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:26 AM

ABSOLUTELY YES!! We've had ours for 15 years and NO problems. It is actually identical in appearance and function to a toilet and we have one on our pool and one on our spa. Again, no problem with either one.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:28 AM

I think some folks are self conscious about swimming, pool sitting, etc. in public, and they like being able to just walk outside 2-3 times a day (especially with little grands). We are at the point that you are, and would rather load up and drive the golf cart. I will say, even with a screen enclosure, which we had in Gainesville, I would never have a pool that wouldn't accommodate a (removable) barrier fence.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisR View Post
Don't even build a pool. It's a total waste of money if you live in TV. Spoken with 30+ years as a pool owner.
Totally disagree. We use ours every day unless there are thunderstorms.
Bought our (3rd) house here intentionally for the pool after giving up a few years ago on swimming in TV pools, so many pools yet nowhere to swim a few laps. Sports pools are classes and volleyball all day, too hard to find a few lap lanes. Even if you do, waiting in the heat for your turn only to find someone else jump in ahead and take your lane is NOT my idea of fun. If you try to swim a lap or two at neighborhood pools, you get dirty looks. All those pools in TV and none are SWIMMING pools.
As with other 'amenities' too many people competing for a spot makes it impossible to enjoy them. 'The Lifestyle' is great in theory, but the reality is a joke. Now with the pandemic and having to stay home, I'm especially glad to have my own pool. Just saying.

Medicated Vet ... For your protection.
Quote from Boot Camp Company Commander: "I'm gonna have to issue you all plexi-glass belly buttons, so when you have your heads up your asses, you can at least see where you're going."
Old 08-29-2020, 10:41 AM

YES! I would not have a pool without it. keeps it at a perfect level too much rain it drains and too much heat with evaporation it fills it
Old 08-29-2020, 10:54 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,549 Times in 418 Posts

Why have a pool? Because some people prefer to step onto their lanai and into a pool that they don't have to drive to. I personally don't care to sit at a pool and have to see big, fat man teets, speedos, open wounds, and people who spend hours in a pool and never seem to need to go to the restroom.
I especially enjoyed my pool during the closure of all pools in TV. I was very popular with friends who don't have their own pool.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:54 AM

Definitely get the auto flow and overflow drain. We hear the pool with solar and it is the only way to go. Also have a hot tub that we heat with propane. Buried a tank and fill it once a year. It feels grand on the old bones. We’ve had the pool for 4 years and have not one regret.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:58 AM

We have had our pool since 2004. Only once I replaced the auto fill insert. It was not expensive. When I was thinking about it like you before our pool was contracted one or two people told me about stories they heard. It stuck and over willed the pool. We have never experienced this issue. Remember, there is a certain evaporation rate fir every pool. It depends on a lot of factors. One nice thing is if you leave on vacation you do not have to worry about the pool level.
I would not be without it. Good luck in your decision.
Old 08-29-2020, 01:45 PM

I think that putting a new pool it would wise to include the valve. We have had a hot 90s and low humid 35 in Michigan we have been adding an inch daily. My brother has an automatic refill valve in AZ. Don’t know if that’ helps for Florida since the humidity is always high.
Old 08-29-2020, 05:12 PM

Yes - get the auto fill.... it’s nice to not have to drag a hose around the pool deck.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:29 PM

Yes a pool autofill/ drain is a must saves a lot of headache when it rains or evaporates. Make sure it is installed correctly and works correctly. Splashtime installed ours and it never worked correctly and refused to fix it. After dozens of emails and phone calls they refused to fix it. I ended up fixing it myself with a $3 part. That's why I will never use a discount pool company again .
Closed Thread

Tags
pool, home, appreciated, owners, advice

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.