Home swimming pool

Closed Thread
Old 08-28-2020, 10:35 AM
Default Home swimming pool

Our pool is scheduled to be built at the end of September. We’re trying to decide if we should have auto fill. Any advice from pool owners would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2020, 10:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner812 View Post
Our pool is scheduled to be built at the end of September. We’re trying to decide if we should have auto fill. Any advice from pool owners would be appreciated. Thanks.

Get the auto fill...I think it also keeps the water down if we get deluged with rain.
Old 08-28-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:

We have what they call a Weep Line. This takes out water automatically if we get a lot of rain. Never had Auto Fill. We rarely have to put water in the our pool with all the Florida rain. We have had 6 pools and love having our personal pool. We also changed from Solar Panels to Electric Heat for the water. We really like this. Only added about $10-$15 a month on our electric bill for this. We like our water in the high 80's. We are born Floridians and don't like cold water pools.

Enjoy your pool.
Old 08-28-2020, 11:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Neighbor had the autofill fail between home owners, the home watch did not notice the new pond between homes, and the neighbors had to call it in. Ho idea how much water was wasted.
Old 08-28-2020, 01:07 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts

Get it, no more hassles with adding makeup water. It's a simple device and has a very long history of operation. Take the top off the auto fill and off the back of the toilet, they are the exact same device and do the exact same job.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 08-28-2020, 04:36 PM

Thank y’all for the responses. Very much appreciated.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:36 PM
Platinum member

We have auto fill and are glad we did. Our neighbor does not and lost his pool pump when the water level went down when he was gone. He thought the pool cleaners were tending to it and they didn't.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:24 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts

We have auto fill. It uses the same mechanism as a toilet. Like a toilet it has a overflow tube.

With ours the over flow tube was cut to length for an ideal water height. The float on the toilet valve was also set to ideal. So in practice the rain drained away and each time we used it the movement of our bodies and the displacement of water of two humans caused water to be drained away, in turn auto fill refilled it.

The home was vacant for a while. The vacant home used 380 gallons in the winter time. No it was not the toilets, those were shut off. During the summer (with rains) it used approximately 1850 gallons while we were there, swimming.

This is how I fixed it:. I added a 1" diameter coupler on the drain tube. This coupler raised the water level before it drains. The water level raises with rain and our spalshing around also sends some water down the tube but not so much that the auto fill kicks in. Essentially, I created a one inch buffer of water. The auto fill only is used if it is hot without rain.

For less than one dollar I cut my water bill and sewage bill but still never have to worry about low water level.

If you want to see this PM me.

Last edited by Toymeister; 08-28-2020 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:46 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default Pool

$10-15 a month heat with electric seems low.
Old 08-29-2020, 05:01 AM
Veteran member

Our pool builder was adamant about not recommending auto fill. Said if you have a leak, you will never know it. Instead, he added a built in manual fill line. When water is needed, all I do is turn 1 valve and it will fill the pool without dragging a hose out. I then tell Alexa to set a timer for “X” minutes and that’s it. I rarely add water. I kinda wish I had an overflow to empty water automatically or at least an inground pipe leading to the back of my lot so I don't have to unroll / roll out the blue vinyl hose to dump water

Old 08-29-2020, 05:43 AM
Default Auto Fill

While gone on a trip for 3 weeks our auto fill came loose. It was reported by T and D pool tech. They sent someone out the next day to fix it. Not sure how many days it was loose between Tech visits but did use about 4000 gallons of extra water about $10. Plus sewer.
So lesson learned gone for more than a few days shut it off.
Old 08-29-2020, 06:08 AM

Absolutely! We've had a pool without it and I will never do that again. Autofill keeps the water level right where it is suppose to be.
Old 08-29-2020, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Don't even build a pool. It's a total waste of money if you live in TV. Spoken with 30+ years as a pool owner.
Old 08-29-2020, 06:21 AM

Def get an auto fill feature - In the dry season if your water level isn’t high enough , your pool motor could burn out if no water flow - happened to us in VA with an inground pool
Old 08-29-2020, 06:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn5656 View Post
$10-15 a month heat with electric seems low.
We estimate $25/mo to heat ours. We keep pool at 86 degrees. Might be a bit $ higher if we have a colder Jan/Feb. like 3 years ago. (Of course using a pool cover at night). Yes, we have an auto fill. Like it, especially in droughts
Closed Thread

Tags
pool, home, appreciated, owners, advice

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.