I would like to hear from some former west coast people, particually calif

Closed Thread
Old 07-15-2007, 03:02 PM
Veteran member
Default I would like to hear from some former west coast people, particually calif

if your formerly from the west coast of the U S particularly Californian's,please elaborate on why you would move to TV
over a DEL WEBB in say Henderson NV, or Palm springs where there is no Humidity.
We are formerly New Yorkers who have lived in southern Calif for the past 12 years thinking about retirement. I am loving the TV experience we were there we toured, we danced is Spanish springs etc etc,my wife sat there with tears in her eyes she loved it so much BUT she also loves Hendersons, NV proximity to Vegas and the lack of HUMIDITY.
I hate humidity but would suffer for the villages.

we may have to have separate retirements hahaha
by the way we have 2 grandson's who live in Davie FL, and one who lives here in Calif that plans on living in Florida as well if we move there.

Wanabee future TVer
Old 07-15-2007, 04:13 PM
Default Re: I would like to hear from some former west coast people, particually calif

I would love to take credit for saying this but I didn't say it first. "I would live in The Villages no matter where it happened to be....it just happens to be in Florida". I can best describe it here as an all pervasive attitude. We love it here and want everyone else to love it. There is an expectation that everyone who lives here is "happy" (a couple of grumps have slipped through) and people live up to that expectation. If friendliness makes someone uncomfortable then The Villages isn't the place for you.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:56 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: I would like to hear from some former west coast people, particually calif

villagerjudy, what state did u live in before TV?
Wanabee future TVer
Old 07-16-2007, 03:51 AM

LOL I moved all they way from South Georgia but let me backtrack a bit more on where I lived. In order here is the list

Marina Del Rey, California
Winter Park, Colorado
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Marblehead, Massachusetts
St Thomas, Virgin Islands
Dallas, Texas
San Clemente, California
Chicago Ill.

LMAO.....Wonder why????? I was a flight Attendant and really enjoyed the benefits of travel. Eastern Air Lines went bankrupt and I had to answer the question "What are you going to do when you grow up?????" Of course any 18 year old (maturity level) answered "become a nurse and get married"...so I did.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:45 AM

We lived in Agoura Hills (Thousand Oaks area of Los Angeles) for 20 years. We are originally from Minnesota and bought a home in TV three years ago when I retired. We came here because of friends who had bought here. We moved from a Villa to a Premier home last summer and just sold our summer home in Minnesota to be here full time.

No question, it's hot and humid right now so we find its a good time to visit the kids in California and Michigan via our RV. That said, we really miss our neighborhood when we are gone with all of the social events, golfing, etc.

Although we prefer dry heat, we also enjoy trees, green grass and that sort of thing. We find the winters (November - May) to be much nicer than SoCal. Its warmer here with no humidity and surprisingly little rain. People who have lived in other retirement communities tell me that no place matches the activity levels that we have here.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 07-17-2007, 09:05 PM
Send a message via MSN to funnygirl

We moved from Alameda, California. Just across the Bay Bridge from San Francisco. We loved our home in Alameda but my new husband retired and there just was not a whole lot to do that you didn't have to drive to through awful traffic at any hour. I worked in Palo Alto as a nurse and faced a 2 1/2 hour commute each way. At first my husband wouldn't even consider Florida. He was a former Air Force pilot and was stationed in Florida years ago and remembered the heat and "The Bugs". He did agree to come here for a "Looksee" and we both loved it.
We are not in the least sorry for the move. The lifestyle is fantastic. People are very friendly. We are a walking/ talking commercial for TV. We visit our kids in California frequently but are delighted to come home.
I have a friend that moved to Las Vegas from California. You know it's been way over 100 degrees there for weeks now. She has visited us here and has her home up for sale. She wants to move here and is ever so sorry she went to Las Vegas first.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:55 AM
Veteran member

Thank you all for your remarks. I wanted my wife who was thinking people from the western states would never be moving there.
I wish i was retiring yesterday! We can't wait to be villagers now.
Larry & Bev
Wanabee future TVer
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.