Driving from CT to TV

Closed Thread
Old 02-14-2011, 05:01 PM
Smile Driving from CT to TV

We are driving for the first time this Saturday to our home in Buttonwood. We expect to leave 6-7 am Saturday from western Connecticut and would like to arrive at our home as early as possible on Sunday (late afternoon or evening).

For any who have made a similar drive, how long did it take, what route would you follow (I95 or I81, etc.).

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Comcast is arriving Monday am so we have to be there Sunday night.

Thanks for your help. We're looking forward to our first extended stay.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another 65er View Post
We are driving for the first time this Saturday to our home in Buttonwood. We expect to leave 6-7 am Saturday from western Connecticut and would like to arrive at our home as early as possible on Sunday (late afternoon or evening).

For any who have made a similar drive, how long did it take, what route would you follow (I95 or I81, etc.).

We used to drive from Norwalk to Orlando taking I 95.
Drove from 6 AM to about 5:00 pm. stopping for lunch and at least one other time.
Left the next day about 7AM stopping for lunch and arriving at 4:00 PM

Good luck! Can't wait to join you. A couple of more years.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Drive

We've done the run from Long Island both for the move and visiting. We take Rt 95 south. Leave around 5AM drive about 12-13 hrs depending on weather.Usually try and make Sanatee SC the first day. We stay at the Holiday Inn in sanatee,nice rooms on site Rest & Bar. Get on the road around 7AM and make it to TV arond 2-3 PM the next day. Once you get into Fl. rt 10 over to 301.Just use extreme caution on 301.Adhere to the speed limits as posted. Good luck on your trip.We took 81 down from upstate after Thanksgiving one year. Only made NC that trip.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
We've done the run from Long Island both for the move and visiting. We take Rt 95 south. Leave around 5AM drive about 12-13 hrs depending on weather.Usually try and make Sanatee SC the first day.
I'm glad I don't have to go through the New York and Philly areas. Were down the road in Maryland, two exits after you pass Cal Ripken Stadium on the right side of I-95. From here we usually make Savannah the first day, takes about 12 hours, and then same as you take I-10 to 301.

We'll be heading down April 17th for a week long LSV, can't wait, and hopefully make it a permanent move this summer.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:05 PM
nkrifats

95 South works well. Being a weekend I would think getting through or around DC would be ok.
Good Luck.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:11 PM
Default Drive from Danbury, CT

10 hrs on day one with minimal stopping and 8 hrs the second day. We took I-95.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:24 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

OK - I am the dissenter...I HATE 95. We traveled from Branford to TV. We would take 81 to Charlotte and then pick up 85 to Atlanta, because our daughter lives there. If I was coming to TV, I would take 77 through SC to pick up 95 near Jacksonville.

Time is about the same - but the ride is infinitely less stressful and less likely to be impacted by major traffic in the NY - DC corridor.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:54 PM
Default Funny, we are too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another 65er View Post

We are doing the same trip Sat 2/26 from Bethlehem, planning to arrive the 1st.
We had just about decided on 95, but you all have me thinking again. Plus is Sat through the city and Jersey. Love riding through PA which is why we were considering 81. Shortest trip on Mapquest comes out using 95.
Have a safe and wonderful trip. Perhaps we'll see you while we're scouting around Buttonwood.
Peg & Bob
Old 02-14-2011, 07:01 PM

We live in North Jersey and took the 81 to 77 route the day after Christmas before the big blizzard hit. Nice ride but very long. Took us 13 1/2 hours stopping for 1/2 each for breakfast & lunch and made it to Florence, S.C. The second day we took 95 all the way into Florida then 10 to 301. TOok about 8 hours, with a stop for lunch. If the weather's good, it's a weekend and you want to get to TV asap, 95 is the way to go. We'll do the 81/77 or 81/85/75 one day when we're not anxious to get back to TV (THough don't think that day will ever come!!)
Old 02-14-2011, 08:23 PM
Default Ct to TV

You might want to consider the Auto-Train.Depart DC(Lawton Va.) 4pm. Relax in a First class seat until supper time,sit down to a nice meal,adjourn to the lounge car for a first run movie.After the movie sit around with a cup of coffee or a cocktail.Return to your seat,play some games on your laptop(110 v power supply provided)Tilt your seat back and snooze until 6am(or later)when breakfast is served,Arrive in Sanford Fla around 9:30 am refreshed and be in the Villages by 12:N.(Try to book a seat in a lower compartment its a lot more comfortable)We do it every summer and fall and its worth every cent.Look up prices on the internet as they vary according to day of departure.www.amtrak.com
Old 02-14-2011, 08:58 PM
Gold member

Easiest way is 95 to I10 to 75 South to Florida Tpke a short distance to 301 to 466A or further down on 301 to 466.

I would never again drive on 301 South. When you drive thru Starke and other small towns the chances of getting a ticket with an out of state plate are very good. That is how these towns support themselves. I very carefully kept to the posted limit and would up with a ticket for about $250.00 and I can tell you that I was not speeding. Nothing you can do about it either. AAA will not even give you directions thru Starke. It is also a very slow route and even though the mileage is less you can make up the time on 75 South since the speed limit is 70 in most places and 25-35 to 20 and to 15 back to 20 (you get the idea) on 301 South. Stay off if you can.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:50 PM
Veteran member

We go to Northern Jersey and Danbury a couple of times a year. We usually do I-95 although we take great pains to hit DC around noon because the traffic can be HELL through that stretch. We leave TV around 7AM and get up to Fayetteville, NC and stay the night. Next day, we leave at 7AM, hit DC around 1ish, and into Westfield, NJ around 5. Danbury is another 2 hours. We do I-81 when the weather permits as it is an easier drive most of the way although lots of truck traffic. I-81 is our route of preference to CT. We do Route 301 because we just slow down and go under the speed limit in Starke, Lawtey, and Waldo which are the three speed traps although, frankly, 301 is one big speed trap. I-75 takes about another 45 minutes to an hour than 301 but is worth it for those with a great aversion to 301.

You have to be careful and watch the weather on I-81 although I-95 is no picnic either....it's a tough two day drive but if you watch the weather, you are usually OK..we have been doing this for six years now so we are veterans.
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 02-15-2011, 07:38 AM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009
Default Welcome back!

Repost of previous post ...hope it helps....Driving on Weekend like you are is best....

We drive from Clinton CT to FL a couple of times per year. Previously Sarasota, now The Villages(20 hours driving). Tried every way and found this route is usually the fastest.

Since I work on a company PC (Desktop not Laptop) driving is the only feasible way to travel back and forth with this computer .

We do 2 days...1 long day(12-14 hours) and 1 short day(6-8 hours). I've done this mostly with the wife but sometimes alone. We found that driving anything shorter on the 1st day, ends up with us sitting on a bed in a motel room, waiting for dark to fall asleep.We drive til 10-11PM and get a room wherever we stop.

Sometimes we make reservations during our Christmas travel....busy time.

Our normal practices & recommendations are:
  • Try to travel on Sat. & Sunday if possible,
  • Make Tappen Zee / GW Bridge decision based on radio traffic reports(WCBS 880 Traffic on the 8 minute mark, 1130 Bloomberg radio on the 5's, and 1010 WINS on the 10's)
  • Getting an EZ Pass for tolls can save 1-2 hours during busy travel at tolls(good for all tolls til you hit the FL line).,
  • Take 895 outside Baltimore to the Harbor Tunnel(avoids Baltimore Center city traffic)
  • Take the BW expressway & 295 Balt. to D.C. (straight shot and avoids I-495 around D.C.)
  • Take I-295 around Richmond(few miles longer, but much faster...avoids Richmond
    traffic and curves)
  • IN FL we take I-95 to I-295 south above Jacksonville to I-10 to 301 south.

All good suggestions in these replies, so you takes your choice and all roads lead to The Villages...be safe and welcome back!!!!
Old 02-15-2011, 10:08 AM
Smile Many thanks

Many thanks to all you veterans. I think this time (because the cable guy is coming Monday between 9-12), we'll take the I95 route and then I10 to I75 to 301. I tend to have a heavy foot and I definitely don't need a speeding ticket, justified or not.

We've been toying with leaving Friday afternoon and getting to Maryland/DC area for Friday night. Traffic will be heavy on Friday because of the holiday weekend so we may just wait until 7 am Saturday.

Thanks again. We're looking forward to seeing some old college friends and making some new ones.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:28 AM
Gold member

We have been using the I-81 route in our trips from TV back to Windsor CT and much prefer that over I-95. While we have used both routes the time is almost the same but avoiding the NY to Washington stretch provides less traffic and less tolls. It takes us about 21 hrs and we usually stop for the night in Christiansburg VA, which is about halfway.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.