Honesty in golf - stolen rangefinder

Honesty in golf - stolen rangefinder

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 11:03 PM
Sage

When the Sarasota course first opened, I would take my daily walk down the cart path on Morse and sit across from the 9th hole on a bench to watch the golfers. As I sat there one day, I noticed a club, obviously left on the edge of the green by someone. The next set of golfers teed off and then drove their carts down the to the green. I observed one of the golfers, after they were done with the hole, pick up the club, look it over and put it in his bag. I carefully watched to see if he would stop at the starter shack to turn it in and he did not. He stole the club. So, you see it is quite possible that there are thieves who play on our courses, drive around the driving ranges and acquire things that don't belong to them.

Old 12-09-2016, 12:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
I observed one of the golfers, after they were done with the hole, pick up the club, look it over and put it in his bag. I carefully watched to see if he would stop at the starter shack to turn it in and he did not. He stole the club.
I have my telephone number on each of my clubs.
Is it possible the golfer who picked up the club saw the owner's phone number and decided to call the owner himself?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2016, 01:39 AM

You all have me so paranoid leaving my clubs on my cart.

Thanks.

/wrists
Old 12-09-2016, 06:07 AM
Email Reported As Spam

The OP spoke of golf as a game played by the rule of ethics and honor. Bobby Jones famous penalty call on himself in tournament play because he believed he accidentally moved his ball ever so slightly is a prime example. I agree its one of the reasons many people are attracted to the game that and its civility.

Golf digest once did an informal study and scattered 25 expensive pitching wedges along greens on various golf courses. Of the 25, 21 came back to the club house. I have never played with anyone who found a club on the course and didn't immediately turned it over to an ambassador.

Executive course play here for all the obvious reasons is a little more relaxed but still many players abide by the rules. Championship play is more formal-stricter to the rules of play

Stealing is beneath contempt and those individuals victimized by such thefts feel very much violated
Old 12-09-2016, 08:12 AM
Sage

I never leave anything in the cart period unless I have done my best to protect it, e.g., a lockable bag over my clubs. That is far from fool proof, by maybe they go to the next cart.

Even when I do that I will take my laser range finder into the bar with me as it is the most expensive thing in my bag

PS. I have had a set stolen from the parking lot at Mallory (before I locked them). The perpetrator, a grandchild of a Villager. I read/heard from detective he was a pretty good golfer. He would get gramdpa's cart, sneak on a course, when he got kicked off he would leave through parking lot and take a club or set (back and front lots). He did this 18 times before he was caught.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:34 AM
Sage

I have had the same set of clubs and golf accessories for years.

I try to be careful of them, because they are expensive, but never in my forty plus years of playing golf at many courses around this country and the world has anyone in our family had items stolen from them while on or near a golf course.

That is not to say that there aren't sticky fingered golfers or toe nudgers or ball kickers and those that plain out lie about their scores.

My POINT was, that before I smeared the sport, I would try to see if I was careless and somehow lost it, or misplaced it. Too many errant clubs and expensive devices have been lost and found.

We look at life with our own experiences coloring our view.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member

How do you know the OP hasn't already retraced his/her steps to confirm it wasn't a mistake. You are guilty of of what you accuse the OP. You are assuming the OP is posting irresponsibly. Three posts now, inferring the OP did not have his/her item stolen. How about some empathy instead of marginalizing the OP?
Old 12-09-2016, 10:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by par_geo View Post
In the movie, The Legend of Baggar Vance, the young boy gives a speech about The Greatest Game there is..."it's the only game where you call a penalty on yourself, if you're honest, and most people are".

Well, at the Sarasota practice range, some golfer who fits in that minority of dishonest golfers stole my trusty Leupold Laser Rangefinder from my golf cart while I was practicing on Monday Dec, 5th, 2016.

If one of your regular playing companions is suddenly using a Leupold rangefinder he/she didn't have before and doesn't have the matching nylon carrying case (I still have the case!!!), you might not want to play with that person again.

Furthermore, I wish that person more shanks, lost balls, and duffs than they've ever had before. You shouldn't get to enjoy this wonderful game if you're not honest.
I play with a guy who had the exact same thing happen.

And no, he didn't "misplace" it.

I have since engraved my name and telephone number on my range finder and make sure it isn't laying on my cart or out in the open...and I have also put labels on each club.

While it won't stop someone intent on stealing them, it will hopefully increase the chance that if I actually do misplace them...of getting them back.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:04 AM
Sage

Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Default Good andwer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I have my telephone number on each of my clubs.
Is it possible the golfer who picked up the club saw the owner's phone number and decided to call the owner himself?
Everybody who has clubs should have their name, address and phone number on them. I always have and always will. Barefoot you are correct in your assessment of the situation. The golfer could have forgot too. Imagine one of us forgetting but I would bet money the club was returned.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:21 AM
Sage

Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Default Good post

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I have had the same set of clubs and golf accessories for years.

I try to be careful of them, because they are expensive, but never in my forty plus years of playing golf at many courses around this country and the world has anyone in our family had items stolen from them while on or near a golf course.

That is not to say that there aren't sticky fingered golfers or toe nudgers or ball kickers and those that plain out lie about their scores.

My POINT was, that before I smeared the sport, I would try to see if I was careless and somehow lost it, or misplaced it. Too many errant clubs and expensive devices have been lost and found.

We look at life with our own experiences coloring our view.
Good post. Your golfing experiences mirrors mine. Golfers as a group are the most honest and respectful people I have the privilege to be friends with. Of course, there may be a rare exception or two but as a sport golf is way ahead of whatever is in second place because of its requirement to referee yourself.

Tags
game, rangefinder, honest, person, leupold