Hornets

Closed Thread
Old 09-25-2019, 07:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts
Default Hornets

I have had to kill several hornets nests on my house this year. I wonder why they keep building on my house and if there is anything I can do about it other than keep spraying them once they are built.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:59 AM

I have - hornets or wasps - nest near my lanai door in the corner eave. Hate to kill them but what else can we do? Any advice?
Old 09-27-2019, 10:00 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl08 View Post
I have - hornets or wasps - nest near my lanai door in the corner eave. Hate to kill them but what else can we do? Any advice?
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Spectracide...-Spray/4480265
Old 09-27-2019, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,012 Times in 1,739 Posts

In my opinion, hornets have no business being around where people live. Or at pools etc. (I’m allergic to them.) I also had hornets nest under the front eaves but Massey gets rid of them, one phone call and the next day they are gone, not sure how or what they do.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I use this all the time. In fact last time I bought it, Home Depot had a two pack that was a few cents more than a single can. It works great.

What I'm hoping to find is something that will permanently deter them from building nests.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:00 PM
Veteran member

bifenthrin at DIY.
Spray the house every couple months and that will keep them away!
Old 09-27-2019, 03:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Up north we had hives everywhere. Our conservation officer said to paint our eves sky blue, they don’t nest because apparently wasps, hornets, and bees think it’s the sky. Two years and no nests so it’s working.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Up north we had hives everywhere. Our conservation officer said to paint our eves sky blue, they don’t nest because apparently wasps, hornets, and bees think it’s the sky. Two years and no nests so it’s working.

That sounds like a good idea but two things:

Do you really want a sky blue color painted on your soffit?

ARC probably would not give approval, is my guess.

Old 09-27-2019, 03:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
That sounds like a good idea but two things:

Do you really want a sky blue color painted on your soffit?

ARC probably would not give approval, is my guess.

Actually our home is white with gray trim, the eve they built nest was only one spot by the fireplace. That 3 foot section painter faded the pale grey to blue, then back to grey. It’s also 28 feet high, so not a problem. There is a netting that is temporarily put on Hot spots to detour the nest builder. But not climbing 28 feet to use that product. Since I am Anaphylactic a little sky blue paint is better than death.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:19 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I have taken advice here and got the hornet spray. They were wasps, and after a hefty shot, they all fell out of the nest and onto the ground. No I have to just make sure they are all dead before I work in that area.

Tags
house, hornets, built, spraying, year

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.