Horrible drivers

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2020, 08:01 AM
Veteran member
Default Why do you think they put in roundabout??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Why do you think they put in roundabout?? So there wouldn’t be traffic light to back up traffic. Speed limit 35 MPH up to roundabout about and 20 MPH in the roundabout. IMO inexperience drivers makes the roundabout dangerous, especially the ones that stop when nothing coming and stop when their in the roundabout and bout 50 more dangerous maneuver’s.
Because they are cheaper for the city to maintain.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,012 Times in 1,739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Why do you think they put in roundabout?? So there wouldn’t be traffic light to back up traffic. Speed limit 35 MPH up to roundabout about and 20 MPH in the roundabout. IMO inexperience drivers makes the roundabout dangerous, especially the ones that stop when nothing coming and stop when their in the roundabout and bout 50 more dangerous maneuver’s.
Yes, I agree. You point out the result of poor design.

At the time the main streets were built they were built for a smaller population, lesser traffic and perhaps with no thought to what happens when you give NO alternatives to a population that ages. As TV expands and we see the unanticipated problems, there ought to be an organic response. Make adjustments, for the better. Don’t throw your hands up and say, oh, if you can no longer drive in this particular way, move!

Perhaps one can expand the number of lanes (our property taxes went up for a reason) or try to decentralize Lake Sumter Landing and any other place of congestion. But just blaming it on the inevitable is not going to help, in my opinion.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:27 AM

1. Drivers tend to be more inconsiderate every day all over the country.

2. Extra caution needed in circles. These are great at improving traffic flow, but most people do not understand that the driver to the left has the right of way. Super extra caution during Snowbird months, especially at the beginning of each month.

3. "Street worthy" golf carts driving on the main roads is ridiculous! Just because they can approach 35 mph with the pedal to the metal does not make them safe in car traffic. And seat belts don't make them safe...no crush zones, safety cage or airbags guarantees that they will lose in any fender bender collisions.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

I almost always use the outside lane when going thru a roundabout unless I am going 3/4 of the way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
But when you're on the inside lane, cars enter the outside lane right through the yield sign all the time.
And I honk at them when they do that. And I keep honking until they stop.

If I am in the inside lane, then I am planning to cut across the outside lane to exit the roundabout and I need for the outside lane to be open.

However, if the person in the outside lane keeps going, then I keep honking, but I stop and let them go.

That happened to us when we were driving north on Morse and wanted to turn left onto Stillwater. I was going 3/4 of the way around the roundabout, but a driver going south on Morse in the outside lane did not stop for me. I stopped in the inside lane and kept honking at him, but he just drove on thru the roundabout. He probably did not even realize I was honking at him.

The next week I saw that happen to someone else at the same roundabout.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:52 AM
Sage

Wow! Any civil engineers reading this?
Old 02-09-2020, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post

At the time the main streets were built they were built for a smaller population, lesser traffic and perhaps with no thought to what happens when you give NO alternatives to a population that ages. As TV expands and we see the unanticipated problems, there ought to be an organic response. Make adjustments, for the better. Don’t throw your hands up and say, oh, if you can no longer drive in this particular way, move!

Perhaps one can expand the number of lanes (our property taxes went up for a reason) or try to decentralize Lake Sumter Landing and any other place of congestion. But just blaming it on the inevitable is not going to help, in my opinion.
Or one can wait until the end of March when the population drops markedly in all of Florida.

The roundabouts have been here for more than a dozen years, as long as we have and have had RELATIVELY few accidents. Once mastered they do ease and facilitate the flow of traffic.

Change doesn't happen by popular demand or even unpopular demand in a CDD.

And to me, that is a good thing.

P.S. I am going now to look up "organic response".

Last edited by graciegirl; 02-09-2020 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:03 AM
Gold member

Here's another goof that has not been mentioned yet. Drivers who approach the roundabout in the right lane and put on their right signal just because they have to swing right to enter. Then they go past the first exit, with their signal still flashing, and take the second exit.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:

What does this mean??
Old 02-09-2020, 09:14 AM

I've been here 18 years and know that you have to drive defensively in The Villages. It is apparent that with age some seniors think they can drive any way they want. I first observed this in my 82-year-old father when he would pull up in front of the grocery store and just leave his car there and go in to do his shopping! In addition, I have personally seen people die behind the wheel while driving a car and a golf cart in TV. Beware, keep your eyes open and be prepared for anything!
Old 02-09-2020, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

The whole of Europe, in fact most of the world cope quite easily with roundabouts, large and small, but in The Villages it's a major problem to many.

"Bad workmen blame their tools!"
Old 02-09-2020, 09:18 AM
Sage

Gracie, LOL, “organic” is the way the Roman Catholic Church refers to a growing and adaptive faith. As civilizations change so should the church. (That’s the theory anyways.)
Old 02-09-2020, 09:19 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

Driving in Florida is no fun. I haven't had a car here for years. Slowly go wherever I need in my golf cart.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:22 AM
Sage

Bogie, there are a lot of draws, for example, at Lake Sumter Landing, offices, banks, transport etc. I was thinking spread out the destinations so that there might be fewer people driving to them. Just a thought... it might not be practical.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
Here's another goof that has not been mentioned yet. Drivers who approach the roundabout in the right lane and put on their right signal just because they have to swing right to enter. Then they go past the first exit, with their signal still flashing, and take the second exit.
Why is that a problem for you?

Most of us ignore people's turn signals because it often does not correspond to what the people are actually going to do.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Wow! Any civil engineers reading this?
Yes. Transportation/traffic engineer as a matter of fact.
Closed Thread

Tags
drivers, horrible, poor, stop, thinking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.