Grand piano

Closed Thread
Old 01-03-2020, 08:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts
Default Grand piano

I have a 1915 Krakauer Brothers (major competitor of Steinway at the time) grand piano that I would like to donate to charity, it is in very good condition and sounds great, may need to be tuned.. The only stipulation is that the recipient remove it from the house and haul it away. Does anyone know any charity that would be interested, such as a church, school, adult living facility, etc.? No individuals and certainly no dealers. Thank you everyone.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

When we sold our home in NJ I tried doing just that. It wasn't a Grand it was a 40yr old Kawai upright. Everyone said they would have loved to have it but no one would pay to move it. Called Churches, local schools, Salvation Army and other similar organizations over 4 months. I advertised it for "free" everywhere. I ended up having to pay almost $500 to have it moved 95 miles to my daughter who really didn't want it but I refused to just junk it. It was (still is) a beautiful well cared for instrument. I wish you much better luck than I had.

Maybe The Villages for one of the Rec centers? Have you tried calling someone in TV? They do lots of shows.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:21 AM
Veteran member

There is a chance that Combat Veterans to Careers (Restoring Hope Thrift Store | Benefiting Combat Veterans) might take it. My guess no thrift store here could sell a grand piano but they probably could find a dealer to buy it from them. Also, another guess is that only a dealer or piano mover would have the tools and experience to move a grand without damaging it. That giant cast metal frame is not as strong as it's weight seems to imply.

Why not sell it to a dealer/individual with the proviso that they pay with a cashiers check that you can give to the charity of your choice? That would maximize the amount the charity can get.

Restoring Hope Thrift Store | Benefiting Combat Veterans
Old 01-04-2020, 07:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Our charity of choice in this area is either Florida Sheriffs Ranch (Sumter County Sheriff William O. "Bill" Farmer Jr.) or Salvation Army.

In the case of your generous gift I would suggest Sheriff Bill Farmer's Ranch. They have group homes for abandoned children and they may have a use for a piano. This is a wonderful organization which saves children and gives them a chance for a decent life, once you donate to them they keep you informed as to how their children are doing, many go on to college and to better lives than they would ever have had without the Ranch. An added benefit is the close ties that the Morse family has to Sheriff Farmer.

I, personally, like the work the Salvation Army does, but I think they would have to sell the piano whereas the Ranch may be able to use it.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Closed Thread

Tags
grand, piano, charity, school, interested

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.