HOT Car Garage / Lanai suggestions ???

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2019, 02:23 PM
Default HOT Car Garage / Lanai suggestions ???

Greetings once again -

Any suggestions / advice on cooling-down the car garage / Lanai area.

Any suggestions on insulating the ceiling over these areas. Who to use and what to look out for ?

Thanks again...
Old 09-17-2019, 02:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

You do do state which way your lanai and garage are facing. If the garage is facing west, have the garage door insulated. As for the lanai, pull down shades/screens may be helpful, especially if this is facing west.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:27 PM

I had my garage ventilate and the doors insulated. It helped, it did not cure. The ventilation will get the garage down to around ambient (sort of) which in summer will be around 90 to 95.

I have a "wood working shop" in my garage, my wife wants to enclose the Lanai. We plan to join the two projects by adding a split AC unit for the Lanai, and routing an outlet in both the Lanai and another in the Garage. I don't expect to be ab le to cool the garage down to the 70's, but I am hoping for 80 or so when I want to work in it in the summer - maybe - I hope...
Old 09-17-2019, 03:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,163 Times in 436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcvdd1 View Post
Greetings once again -

Any suggestions / advice on cooling-down the car garage / Lanai area.

Any suggestions on insulating the ceiling over these areas. Who to use and what to look out for ?

Thanks again...
This is too obvious, but leave car outside after use, let it cool off???? (in this heat, yipsters!)
Old 09-17-2019, 03:43 PM

We had Gale Insulators blow in insulation above our NW facing lanai. The lanai is enclosed. With an infrared thermometer, I took many before and after measurements. This included measuring the temperature of a neighbor’s lanai with the same construction, configuration and only a few minutes apart. His lanai ceiling was insulated and at the time mine was not. Here is the result:
The insulated lanai ceiling is 11 degrees cooler and the air temperature is 8 degrees cooler. You can private message me for more details on the technique I used in this study.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:12 PM
Sage

If you want to do it right , get a multi -port split ductless a/c system ,quote from Chuck Farrell--$6800.00 + wiring by electrical contractor
Old 09-18-2019, 04:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,416 Times in 5,107 Posts

Unless you install an air conditioner in the lanai or other non-conditioned space, no amount of insulation will make much difference in the stabilized temperature of the space. Insulation can only slow down the heat transfer rate, but it cannot change the eventual temperature that the space will acheive during the hottest part of the day.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:01 AM

Our home (this was like this when we moved in) has fan in the attic that draws air from the garage space upward (the warmest air in the garage). The garage doors, which are insulated, face north and have had screened intake vents installed low (drawing in the cooler air on this side of the home). The fan is operated by a timer (like the type that are used to run a bath exhaust) and can be set to operated for up to an hour.

This system helps remove the heat brought in by motor of the car or golf cart.

Improvements to this system could include ducting the air that comes from the garage thru the attic and directly outside thru a roof vent, rather than just ducting it into the attic space. I have vents for the attic, but it just seems to me the best use of they existing equipment would be to direct it outside.

Good Luck and keep us informed on how you solve your issue.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
Our home (this was like this when we moved in) has fan in the attic that draws air from the garage space upward (the warmest air in the garage). The garage doors, which are insulated, face north and have had screened intake vents installed low (drawing in the cooler air on this side of the home). The fan is operated by a timer (like the type that are used to run a bath exhaust) and can be set to operated for up to an hour.

This system helps remove the heat brought in by motor of the car or golf cart.

Improvements to this system could include ducting the air that comes from the garage thru the attic and directly outside thru a roof vent, rather than just ducting it into the attic space. I have vents for the attic, but it just seems to me the best use of they existing equipment would be to direct it outside.

Good Luck and keep us informed on how you solve your issue.
Solar Guys installed our system which is pretty much like you described, except, instead of a timer to control the fan it uses a thermostat. This system seriously helps, but can't get the temperature in the garage below ambient, so 95 on a summer day.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:02 AM

Need to define "cool". We put in an attic fan for the garage and roll down shades in the lanai. It got cooler. Probably would not want to live in either, but it helped. To do the lanai right, you need the screens replaced with windows and the A/C installed. Not interested in living in the garage so can was enough. You do have to pay attention to what you store in the garage. Wife put some shoes in the attic. Good thing she has plenty.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:53 AM
Sage

Just a point to ponder for those struggling with hot garages and lanais. Didn't most of us move her for the warmer climate ?
Old 09-18-2019, 08:38 AM
Sage

Warmth yes, sub-tropical NO, also escaping taxes, and nanny states
Old 09-18-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Just a point to ponder for those struggling with hot garages and lanais. Didn't most of us move her for the warmer climate ?
An unventilated and uninsulated garage facing the wrong way case get upwards of 110 degrees ( and higher) in the summer. That is a bit more than "warm".

Tags
suggestions, lanai, car, garage, areas

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.