Hot garage

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboat View Post
Dreamer!!
That's a strange response. You should go back and read post number 22, then the related posts 27 and 30. There are some people, not many, in Minnesota that heat their garages in the winter. We don't heat our garage in the winters. That certainly can't be cheap. There are commercial parking ramps under buildings in downtown areas that are heated in the winter and air conditioned in the summer. It is certainly technically possible to heat and air condition a garage. Of course, in Florida, you'd only need to consider air conditioning a garage.

The one time cost of insulating the garage and installing a split air conditioner are not that important. Several thousand dollars, one time, no big deal. The most important factor is the ongoing cost to operate the split air conditioner to cool down the garage. I assume that it isn't cheap to air condition a garage. If you have a pool, it's not that cheap to heat a pool all winter, but obviously people spend money on heating a pool, even if its hundreds of dollars every month.

I think if you spend several thousand dollars a year to do things like heating your pool or air conditioning your garage to improve your life is worth it. I don't like spending thousands of dollars on taxes, because probably at least half the money is wasted on stupid projects and giving "free stuff" to freeloaders.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:37 AM

I know several people here who have mini splits in their garages. They claim the the electric bill only increased $15 to $20 per month to operate. They have high efficiency around 18 to 20 seer. They keep garage temp set around 76 to 78 degrees same as inside the house. Claim is that there is no problem maintaining temp even during this summer heat/ humidity. Of course attic and doors have the required insulation.

I will be adding a mini split to my 3 car garage later this year. I will go with a 24,000 btu unit.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
I know several people here who have mini splits in their garages. They claim the the electric bill only increased $15 to $20 per month to operate. They have high efficiency around 18 to 20 seer. They keep garage temp set around 76 to 78 degrees same as inside the house. Claim is that there is no problem maintaining temp even during this summer heat/ humidity. Of course attic and doors have the required insulation.

I will be adding a mini split to my 3 car garage later this year. I will go with a 24,000 btu unit.
Thanks for the post! Only about $20 a month is dirt cheap to air condition the garage. I was guessing it might be over $100 a month.
Closed Thread

Tags
hot, heat, attic, rise, screen

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.