hot garage

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2020, 06:41 AM

I has a screen installed. Remote control and my garage is much much cooler. Can't see in unless it is night and the light is on.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:57 AM

Micheles Hide away screens and adding a ceiling fan to move some air. It has helped a great deal but its still warm out there. June - Sept, it's just going to be warm. Payment for the other 8 wonderful months.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:03 AM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

thanks, ALL,,, think i'll install some 6" f/g batts 'tween the joists in the overhead where there's presently no insulation + add 1 1/2" (r8) to the garage door,,, really no way to empirically judge if it makes a difference as exterior temps will change but may be enough to 'feel' difference on skin,,, adding a garage fridge will increase heat too
Old 08-03-2020, 07:13 AM
Cool Ceiling fan!

We don't spend much time in our garage. Laundry equipment in there, but we do laundry twice weekly and do not stand in garage waiting for washer and dryer to do their jobs. A ceiling fan, blowing in down position, and lowering garage steps about 8 inches pulls the hot air out of attic space. Leaving the garage door about a 1/3 open with sliding screens in place helps to circulate the hot air out of the garage nicely.
Being from MD, we are accustomed to hot, humid summers. The only difference here in FL is that the summer lasts longer. No worries!
Old 08-03-2020, 07:17 AM

We just put in dehumidifier. Made an great change. Worth every dime
Old 08-03-2020, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadry View Post
just moved into tv & have a west facing garage which is extremely hot - any tips on static cooling ? lowering the attic stairs & raising garage doors 3 or 4" doesn't help much as air enters after passing over hot conc d/w
adding 1 1/2" foam panel insulation to garage doors might help lower garage temp
thanks in adv
Insulate over garage in attic and install fan in garage ceiling and vents in door (coolmygarage.com). Leaving stair ladder door open is fire hazard and nullifies your insurance. The door is a fire break.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:31 AM

After much reasearch I installed a reflective foam core product. I have a heat gun the door measured 125 before I insulated and 95 after.

Robot Check
Old 08-03-2020, 07:42 AM

A/C the Garage. Works Great.
Had a fan just made everything dirty.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:48 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
just moved into tv & have a west facing garage which is extremely hot - any tips on static cooling ? lowering the attic stairs & raising garage doors 3 or 4" doesn't help much as air enters after passing over hot conc d/w
adding 1 1/2" foam panel insulation to garage doors might help lower garage temp
thanks in adv
One useful thing: If you’ve had your car out driving or parked in the sun somewhere, it may be cool inside with the AC on, but it still emits heat for hours like a giant hot iron. So if it is hot, park outside in your driveway until night, then park it in your garage. A hot car can heat your garage twenty degrees in a few minutes. If you were out driving in the evening, you may want to leave it in your driveway all night, then put it in your garage at dawn. Golf carts get hot, too, though a car has a thousand pounds more hot metal that releases heat than does a golf cart.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:09 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,199 Times in 461 Posts

I installed insulation from Texas Garage sent to me in the mail. Easy install, took about an hour. No glue or dismantling. I have an east facing garage and lowered the temp about 20 to 25 degrees making it much easier to take.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
thanks in adv
Insulated our attic several months ago - see post under the thread on the plastic commode valves.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:06 AM
Veteran member

My garage faces south. I have radiant barriers in the attic and have had the garage door insulated. I had screens installed which I believe is the best way to keep the garage bearable. It doesn’t get any hotter than it is outside. It’s still hot but it’s Florida. I have neighbors that installed the rolling ac units. They vent out the window but do not extend to outside so I guess they are ok to have. I can imagine how much electricity they use to cool a garage.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:12 AM

We put a motorized screen on ours.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Yes, read the other thread on this topic. In my opinon, insulating the garage door is a waste of money. It will slow down the garage heat up time, but it will not lower the ultimate equalized temperature.
Well I disagree. Insulating the garage doors does help. Anything else is to expensive & a waste of money. If insulting the garage is a waste of money what do you suggest to do to make money cooling the garage & benefiting the inside of the house. Seriously the only thing you’re doing is keeping the car cool. Really put your hand on a metal garage door & see how long you can leave it there then do the same on a insulated one. If you say everyone has the heavy wood ones, they’re already suppose to be insulted. So insulting a wood door is a cheap compared to anything else. Maybe air condition it! Not putting you down retiredguy123, but insulation is the cheapest & anything else is a waste of money because there’s nothing that’s going to get it real cool.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:25 AM
Default Simple solution!

Use the garage screen doors, also a screen door instead of utility room door, and open one window in the house. The breeze will cool very easily!

Closed Thread

Tags
garage, hot, doors, air, enters

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.