hot garage

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2020, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,714 Times in 5,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Well I disagree. Insulating the garage doors does help. Anything else is to expensive & a waste of money. If insulting the garage is a waste of money what do you suggest to do to make money cooling the garage & benefiting the inside of the house. Seriously the only thing you’re doing is keeping the car cool. Really put your hand on a metal garage door & see how long you can leave it there then do the same on a insulated one. If you say everyone has the heavy wood ones, they’re already suppose to be insulted. So insulting a wood door is a cheap compared to anything else. Maybe air condition it! Not putting you down retiredguy123, but insulation is the cheapest & anything else is a waste of money because there’s nothing that’s going to get it real cool.
I appreciate your opinion. When you have two spaces separated by a wall (or garage door), heat will flow from the hotter space to the cooler space until both spaces are at the same temperature. If the garage door is insulated, the heat transfer will be slowed down, but eventually, both spaces will achieve the same temperature. Some people have said that, by insulating the garage door, they have been able to lower the garage temperature by as much as 20 degrees. Heat transfer just doesn't work that way.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:46 AM

we insulated our west facing garage and added insulation above the garage and the Lanai. It helped a lot but it still gets hot in the garage. I'm considering the radient barrier in the garage attic but not sure about the economic benefits.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:33 PM

I got a dehumidifier but it gives off a lot of heat so was still hot but drier air. Doesn’t yours generate a lot of heat?
Old 08-04-2020, 09:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I appreciate your opinion. When you have two spaces separated by a wall (or garage door), heat will flow from the hotter space to the cooler space until both spaces are at the same temperature. If the garage door is insulated, the heat transfer will be slowed down, but eventually, both spaces will achieve the same temperature. Some people have said that, by insulating the garage door, they have been able to lower the garage temperature by as much as 20 degrees. Heat transfer just doesn't work that way.
OK, I don’t disagree but you did say it was a waste of money to insult. So not criticizing you but what is a cheaper way to do it than insulting? All I’m saying is it does help. I insulted my metal garage doors & it did help some. I’m open for suggestions to do my garage doors cheaper than insulting. This is the only thing out there they offer for garage doors.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:07 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadry View Post
just moved into tv & have a west facing garage which is extremely hot - any tips on static cooling ? lowering the attic stairs & raising garage doors 3 or 4" doesn't help much as air enters after passing over hot conc d/w
adding 1 1/2" foam panel insulation to garage doors might help lower garage temp
thanks in adv
Insulating garage door will slow the radiant heat transfer from the door. Insulating the space over the ceiling will be more effective but you lose storage space. Put a fan in the ceiling, and open the door, and you will get the temperature down to ambient, but you might have a fire code issue. A ventilator fan in the attic, with the garage stair propped open and the garage door open might work too.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:53 AM

If you go to a screen, get a white one. White will reflect the sun & heat better, and during the day no one can see inside the garage. I noticed the black(ish) screens around the neighborhood allow me to see everyone's stuff in their garage, and I wasn't even trying! The white screens don't let me see inside. Of course, at night with a light on everything can be seen regardless of screen color, but during the day even a slight reflection of sun and heat will help along with other heat reduction measures being taken.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:52 AM

How much does a double car garage screen door cost? Approximately--how much?
Old 08-09-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadry View Post
just moved into tv & have a west facing garage which is extremely hot - any tips on static cooling ? lowering the attic stairs & raising garage doors 3 or 4" doesn't help much as air enters after passing over hot conc d/w
adding 1 1/2" foam panel insulation to garage doors might help lower garage temp
thanks in adv
Yep I have a west facing garage too...hotter than blazes in summer....I put insulation board R22 on back of door and fixed into place with spray in foam. (Remember to re-adjust your spring tension after you do that as the door weight will be different). It helped. I also put window tinting on windows. That helped. I put an exhaust fan in garage window with a thermostat to come on over 80 degrees. (You could make it more but I have a refrigerator in my garage and I need to keep the temp down as much as possible). I do not like the sight of louvers in the garage door to let in air, but that is another thing you could do. I spoke to a solar ventilation vendor about putting in vent fans in attic to cool above garage...he said might reduce it "a little" maybe 4-5 degrees. I didn't find that cost effective. I did however blow in additional insulation over my garage as the development did not have any insulation over the garage originally. That was cost effective and helped too. All in all I lowered my garage temperature mid-day during the summer about 10-12 degrees. Not much but where it really helps is in the morning in summer and during the spring and fall when the sun isn't so direct. Then it is noticeable.
Closed Thread

Tags
garage, hot, doors, air, enters

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.