Am I the only one?

Closed Thread
Old 08-19-2012, 04:21 PM
Angry Am I the only one?

I have a huge pet peeve eating out......it is putting my check on the table before I am finished eating or just finished. What happen to" asking if you would like anything else"? If not, THEN bringing your check to you. This seems to be a Fla thing. I never had this happen in NY/NJ. I find this totally rude. At times, I have asked "I didn't know I was leaving yet" they give me a startled look. It happens in every establishment from chains to upscale restaurants. Their motto: eating quickly, move out, leave a huge tip.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We find it just the opposite; excellent service, refills, asking if anything is needed and then when we are finished, poof. They disappear.

I wouldn't be annoyed if they put the check down before I am finished. But that is just me.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

not a fan either i always want an after dinner coffee
Old 08-19-2012, 04:30 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,299 Times in 536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBInj View Post
I have a huge pet peeve eating out......it is putting my check on the table before I am finished eating or just finished. What happen to" asking if you would like anything else"? If not, THEN bringing your check to you. This seems to be a Fla thing. I never had this happen in NY/NJ. I find this totally rude. At times, I have asked "I didn't know I was leaving yet" they give me a startled look. It happens in every establishment from chains to upscale restaurants. Their motto: eating quickly, move out, leave a huge tip.
A lot of times I have to ask for the the check. Depends on where you go. Seniors are not noted (so Server's tell me) for huge tips!
Old 08-19-2012, 04:33 PM
Gold member

Quote:
you got a startled look because we here in florida dont talk to people that are serving us with mean sarcasm!
Old 08-19-2012, 04:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
This also happens occasionally in the Chicago area. I haven't noticed it a lot when I have eaten out in TV. A good server should ask if you would like anything else before giving you the check. I know they want to turn over tables, but I don't like to be hustled out the door, especially if I am eating out with someone I haven't seen in a while.

Last edited by Schaumburger; 08-19-2012 at 04:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-19-2012, 04:39 PM

I'm with GG. My experience is they disappear near the end of the meal and leave you with nothing to drink and wondering if they will ever come back so you can get your check. It is almost standard service rather than an occasional annoyance anymore.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:43 PM

LB, I don't like that either and have just recently noticed it happening more and more. My BIG pet peeve is when they start clearing the table before everyone is done eating and this seems to be acceptable even at the higher end restaurants. If I'm not finished and believe me, I am not a slow eater, I feel like I either have to shovel my food in quickly or just quit eating.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
We find it just the opposite; excellent service, refills, asking if anything is needed and then when we are finished, poof. They disappear.

I wouldn't be annoyed if they put the check down before I am finished. But that is just me.
I agree. In fact, I would RATHER have the check early! That way we are not waiting around for the server to bring the check when we are ready. IF we wanted something they we have found they ask first and if we say no, they leave the check. We than put the payment in the book when done and leave, or if need change, they come and pick it up. Seems less hassle that way to us. I haven't taken it as hurry and get out.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:03 PM
Sage

I haven't noticed that problem here in TV restaurants. The servers usually ask if we want something else before giving us the check.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:04 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,299 Times in 536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWoman View Post
LB, I don't like that either and have just recently noticed it happening more and more. My BIG pet peeve is when they start clearing the table before everyone is done eating and this seems to be acceptable even at the higher end restaurants. If I'm not finished and believe me, I am not a slow eater, I feel like I either have to shovel my food in quickly or just quit eating.
Servers now clean tables where in the past they had busboys. It is all about efficiency and economics. In some of the "high end" restaurants they still have busboys but becoming a thing of the past. The Server's are trained to be more efficient, especially the chains, and for the most part are under paid. In my opinion, if they do a good job they deserve respect and a good tip. I have heard customers in TV treat Servers like second class people and that is a big peeve of mine.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:22 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Servers now clean tables where in the past they had busboys. It is all about efficiency and economics. In some of the "high end" restaurants they still have busboys but becoming a thing of the past. The Server's are trained to be more efficient, especially the chains, and for the most part are under paid. In my opinion, if they do a good job they deserve respect and a good tip. I have heard customers in TV treat Servers like second class people and that is a big peeve of mine.
i think we have experienced both ends of the scale here in the villages. I have observed that the better the food, the better the service...maybe that's just pride at work....
Old 08-19-2012, 05:28 PM

MY pet peeve with the servers is, when you hand them money with the bill and they ask if you want change! Just bring the change and I will leave the appropriate tip. If I have it all together when they pick it up from me, I will tell them "its ok,no change needed" But dont ask me if I want change!!!!
Old 08-19-2012, 05:36 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogeybabe View Post
MY pet peeve with the servers is, when you hand them money with the bill and they ask if you want change! Just bring the change and I will leave the appropriate tip. If I have it all together when they pick it up from me, I will tell them "its ok,no change needed" But dont ask me if I want change!!!!
a lot of the servers say the more pc "I'll be right back with your change" giving you the option to say ok or no.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:39 PM
Gold member

Quote:
I have a huge pet peeve eating out......it is putting my check on the table before I am finished eating or just finished. What happen to" asking if you would like anything else"? If not, THEN bringing your check to you. This seems to be a Fla thing. I never had this happen in NY/NJ.
We've had this happen everywhere from time to time, even in NY/NJ. No big deal. If we decide we want something else we tell them and they re-do the check. I never thought much about it.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.