Hot Tub outside?

Closed Thread
Old 02-26-2021, 07:52 AM

I have our hot tub on the slab with no birdcage at courtyard villa. Used it nearly every day for seven years. Never see any bugs except an occasional butterfly. Cold days are not a problem for me, but I avoid hot afternoons. The walls provide all the privacy I need.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
They are allowed on your slab but plan on using it during the day it would almost be unusable once the sun goes down in most areas.
Why unusable after sun is down? Thanks.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:29 AM

Get a $600. blow up hot tub to try it out and than you can decide if you want to spend the money on a permanent one within or outside of an enclosure. While renting and waiting for our hose to be built, we tried out one. We used it quite a bit the first month, a little the next month and almost not at all after. Made us reconsider a built in one in our new house. Can always add it in the future.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:32 AM

We had one in Ohio near Lake Erie. Bugs weren’t too bad using it. Was fun to use in the winter too. Thinking of one here too. So I am interested in reading the replies here. Thanx all.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahambda View Post
Hi fellow Villagers! does anyone have any experience in using a hot tub at their home but not covered under a Lanai? Trying to figure out if we need to spend $8-10k (ouch) on a Lanai extension or just install the hot tub on our BBQ patio area and see if the bugs/insects will be tolerable? (We would predict most of our Hot tub use will be after the sun goes down, post-golf rounds).
Ours is located outside on the patio - no problems with bugs except for 1/2 hour at sundown. We also have a battery operated Thermacell unit that keeps the bugs away if they should be present.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:38 AM

We are on a corner and added a large birdcage. We buried our hot tub in the added concrete so it is out of the ground 16 inches and is still removable. Check with the arc and or building dept. We bought our tub in Tennessee they make them there and are very reasonable. Discount Hot tubs.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:10 AM

Having our hot tub on the patio was no problem. Never had a problem with bugs regardless of the time of day we used it. The only downside for us was that the brutal Florida sun shortened the life of the hot tube cover. The last time we replaced the hot tub cover we added a cap cover for an additional $70. The cap cover should protect the hot tub cover and when it is time for a new one a $70 cap cover is better to replace than a $500 hot tub cover.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I believe that mosquitos are attracted to the smell of certain people. I for one, can't remember what decade it was when I was last bit by a mosquito. Think about it, when you go to the square and it's dark, do mosquitos bother you, then you might be a candidate for a bird cage, if not, then you'll be fine.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Hi fellow Villagers! does anyone have any experience in using a hot tub at their home but not covered under a Lanai? Trying to figure out if we need to spend $8-10k (ouch) on a Lanai extension or just install the hot tub on our BBQ patio area and see if the bugs/insects will be tolerable? (We would predict most of our Hot tub use will be after the sun goes down, post-golf rounds).
I have had an outdoor hot tub (not under birdcage for over 11 yrs.) Never a problem, except for the hot months when the water temp. can get up ther.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:24 AM

We had one on patio for years and never saw a bug of any kind. Think depends on your village. We are in Sable Chase but heard the villages and courses south have problems
Old 02-26-2021, 10:11 AM
Default Hot Tub

A little off topic from the OP, but who around here will service hot tubs (besides T&D.) Most that I've called will only service those that they've sold. I'm not interested in doing it myself. Been there, done that, messed it up.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

neighbor has a hot tub outside on a patio...he uses it sparingly and in the late afternoon

I haven't heard him complain about bugs
Old 02-26-2021, 10:51 AM
Default Just installed one and cage was added later.

Quote:
Hot tub was installed in November and cage was added 2 months later. I did not encounter any bug issues between November and January but that is the winter months. You should expect to have insect issues in the summer. Also a cage would keep the small lizards and frogs out of the area.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:24 AM

We have a hot tub on patio overlooking golf course. No bird cage or on lanai. Beautiful look up and see stars. It’s near white fence for a little privacy but love waving to people on course during the morning. No problems with anything!!
Old 02-26-2021, 11:25 AM

I had a hot-tub on my Court yard villa lanai with a gazebo over it for years and never a bug problem. You could always light several citronella candles for any bug protection and ambiance
Closed Thread

Tags
hot, tub, lanai, area, bbq

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.