Are hot tubs allowed?

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2021, 10:29 AM

We just had Seabreeze aluminum install our screened room, has a aluminum roof, over our swim spa. Lots of permits needed. But oh so nice. Swim a cple miles a day in it.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:48 AM

[QUOTE=butlerism;1976552]So sorry. I am an Alpha and I do not cut my words short.

Also an Electrical Engineer.

My best advice.
If you have the room.
In the master bath, put in a Jacuzzi tub. you can drain after every use. much much more sanitary.

Get some candles. Strawberries. Champagne. Old school sexy music.
Yuppers. that will be a great night.
[

Last edited by Nick B; 07-22-2021 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

A SPA permit is exactly that a permit to install a larger "permanent" spa, these are not required for the portable inflatable type spas. The spa permit with have an inspection that will verify any glass within 5(?) feet is tempered, there are no electrical outlets within 5(?) feet and that the spa is electrically grounded to ALL metal features within 5(?) feet of the spa, all of this is for your safety. You will not be able to get electrical service to your new spa (240 volt) without a spa permit.

Yes you can do your own electrical work, you will need to get the permit, you will have 2 inspections, the first is a rough in , the second is the final inspection, if you go this route, make sure you know what you are doing, attics are miserable to work in, and it may not be easy to get the new wiring into the existing panel. The breaker must be a GFCI breaker ($$$), there must be a disconnect near the spa and it must be visible to the person working on the spa, as well as other specific requirements.
I have been through this twice, used electricians both times, got screwed on the initial install as the installed NEVER pulled the permits.........
As for using the spa, I use this 3 to 5 times per week, and the maintenance is $60 per month with includes the chemicals. We have had outs for over 8 years and love it.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:41 AM
Platinum member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
A SPA permit is exactly that a permit to install a larger "permanent" spa, these are not required for the portable inflatable type spas. The spa permit with have an inspection that will verify any glass within 5(?) feet is tempered, there are no electrical outlets within 5(?) feet and that the spa is electrically grounded to ALL metal features within 5(?) feet of the spa, all of this is for your safety. You will not be able to get electrical service to your new spa (240 volt) without a spa permit.

Yes you can do your own electrical work, you will need to get the permit, you will have 2 inspections, the first is a rough in , the second is the final inspection, if you go this route, make sure you know what you are doing, attics are miserable to work in, and it may not be easy to get the new wiring into the existing panel. The breaker must be a GFCI breaker ($$$), there must be a disconnect near the spa and it must be visible to the person working on the spa, as well as other specific requirements.
I have been through this twice, used electricians both times, got screwed on the initial install as the installed NEVER pulled the permits.........
As for using the spa, I use this 3 to 5 times per week, and the maintenance is $60 per month with includes the chemicals. We have had outs for over 8 years and love it.
We have a 6 person Bullfrog hot tub(spa) and had electrical contractors wire it up. They ran a 240 line through our attic and like you said, has to be certain distances from everything. Had it for about 5 years and love it.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:57 PM
Default Hot Tub

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP2TV View Post
Hi Folks,

We have an under roof lanai and then a large concrete pad outside the lanai. We would like to have a large hot tub placed on that outside pad and then bird cage around it connecting it to the lanai.

Are above ground hot tubs allowed in The Villages or only in ground pools and spas?

Thx much!
Contact the ARC, you may get some inaccurate info on forums. Best to go to the body responsible for compliance.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:28 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,017 Times in 524 Posts
Default What can go on a concrete pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP2TV View Post
Hi Folks,

We have an under roof lanai and then a large concrete pad outside the lanai. We would like to have a large hot tub placed on that outside pad and then bird cage around it connecting it to the lanai.

Are above ground hot tubs allowed in The Villages or only in ground pools and spas?

Thx much!
I’m wondering what can go on a concrete pad? A BBQ grill, lawn furniture…what are the restrictions?

“Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see further.” Thomas Carlyle
Old 07-22-2021, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butlerism View Post
QUICK ANSWRER... NO NO NO.

Why?

Do your cost benefit analysis.
How much will you actually use the spa?

Give the Villages a reason to sandbag you for more money.

Electric. How much will you pay for a 220 Volt underground electric service... direct from your breaker panel.
Go look at your panel..... Like mine I am sure they maxed out your service. You will not find two slots able to make a new home run for the spa.
Then add in monthly electric costs.. Maintenance.

Lose the Spa idea.

Everyone one has California dreaming about something they will use every so often.

Health analysis. How old are you? are you ready to climb into a spa and climb out wet......
and dirty water that actually breeds bacteria.

Lose the Spa Idea.

I had a pop and drop years ago, but then again I owned a pool and spa business.

Professional opinion.
I still have my contacts and I can get you a pop and drop spa. Yes I would love to make some money off you.
Not interested.

Now maintenance..... good luck nowadays..
Service is not going to be what your pie in the sky California Dreamin idea in your head actually becomes reality.

I always laughed at customers that have a vision of a tropical oasis, a tiki bar and all the goodies. Never happens.

Neighbors... Are there people behind you That alone will stop momma from jumping in the hot tub.

I have seen spas that are totally disgusting as to regards of water quality.
Decomposing Flesh, wet farts, hair and bugs.

Enjoy.
I have to use it for health reasons. Always have and always will. I use it hours per day, every day of my life. Without it I cannot move.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:45 AM
Default Installed hot tub and cage installed last fall and enjoy having it!!!

I installed a hot tub and cage on my patio and we are 100% satisfied with it. Easy to maintain and heat is off for the summer. Love sitting in it at night with the lights on and use it whenever the muscles are sore. Get 240 volt tub for fast heat and more powerful jets. The cage works great keeping the bugs and lizards out!

Get the ARC approval first followed by the SPA permit (must provide information on the tub and tub cover certifications). Then the Electrical permit and finally the cage permit. Make sure the SPA fits through the cage door if installing it after the cage is built!
Closed Thread

Tags
hot, lanai, ground, pad, large

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.