Are hot tubs allowed?

Closed Thread
Old 07-21-2021, 10:50 AM
Question Are hot tubs allowed?

Hi Folks,

We have an under roof lanai and then a large concrete pad outside the lanai. We would like to have a large hot tub placed on that outside pad and then bird cage around it connecting it to the lanai.

Are above ground hot tubs allowed in The Villages or only in ground pools and spas?

Thx much!
Old 07-21-2021, 10:52 AM
Veteran member

There are many homes already having standing hot tubs inside lanais.
Old 07-21-2021, 10:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,616 Times in 5,196 Posts

Aboveground hot tubs are allowed, but I would get approval from ARC, the Architectural Review Committee.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,126 Times in 2,240 Posts

OP, you will need approval from ARC for the birdcage, no approvals for what goes in the birdcage. Depending on the type of hot tub and possibly the county you may need a SPA permit and and electrical permit. IMHO, you should get or at a minimum CONFIRM that ARC approved your project (I got burned one time). This will probably be a 2 part project, the first part being the initial contact with ARC, and the second being the detailed plan for the birdcage (I needed the outline drawing and the color of the aluminum). If the spa is within 5 (?) feet of any windows or electrical outlets, you will need spa permit and may need to make modifications to both of these. Send me a PM if you would like to discuss over the phone.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

My understanding (at least in my district?) (unless the changed the rules?) plug and play (110V) hot tub spas do not need arc approval. 220v hot tubs spas require approval and dedicated circuit with required safety features installed by licensed electrician. But, I would call anyway. Better to safe than sorry?
Old 07-21-2021, 07:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

We are currently in the process of having a hot tub installed. Since it is going into an existing birdcage we did not need ARC approval. You will undoubtedly need ARC approval for your birdcage. We did need to get a spa permit from the county. The electrical contractor wouldn't pull the electrical permit until we had the spa permit.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 07-21-2021, 08:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,126 Times in 2,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
My understanding (at least in my district?) (unless the changed the rules?) plug and play (110V) hot tub spas do not need arc approval. 220v hot tubs spas require approval and dedicated circuit with required safety features installed by licensed electrician. But, I would call anyway. Better to safe than sorry?
I agree with you.
Old 07-22-2021, 04:55 AM

What is the spa permit ?
Old 07-22-2021, 06:01 AM
Default Permits

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1469b View Post
What is the spa permit ?
Simple question with many, many answers. As a newer member you will soon become aware of the many types and sources of permits.. The Villages is in three counties which can have slightly different interpretations of common codes. The Villages have currently thirteen districts which have evolving deed restrictions. One suggestion: Always contact the Deeds Compliance folks informally to see if you need ARC approval. There is no cost and the folks there are very helpful. On items that need ARC approval you will be asked who the contractor will be. The contractor will pull permits required for the location of your project.
Old 07-22-2021, 06:30 AM

We had a concrete slab poured outside our Florida room. Later on, we applied for ARC approval to install a hot tub and the 220VAC electrical feed. It was approved by ARC. We then purchased a hot tub and had it delivered.

Our hot tub sits outside on the slab without a birdcage. We obtained an ARC approval for a pergola, and then subsequently purchased one from Lowes. It was a free standing, metal pergola (i.e., not connected to the house). No county permit was required since it did not attach to the house. The electrician then obtained the county permit for the electrical work, followed by the electrical hook up. The electrician also electrically bonded the pergola to the hot tub. I understand that is required by code. It was a fairly easy process.
Old 07-22-2021, 06:34 AM
Sage

FYI, assuming you get the permit you don't need an electrician any home owner can do their own work.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:01 AM

QUICK ANSWRER... NO NO NO.

Why?

Do your cost benefit analysis.
How much will you actually use the spa?

Give the Villages a reason to sandbag you for more money.

Electric. How much will you pay for a 220 Volt underground electric service... direct from your breaker panel.
Go look at your panel..... Like mine I am sure they maxed out your service. You will not find two slots able to make a new home run for the spa.
Then add in monthly electric costs.. Maintenance.

Lose the Spa idea.

Everyone one has California dreaming about something they will use every so often.

Health analysis. How old are you? are you ready to climb into a spa and climb out wet......
and dirty water that actually breeds bacteria.

Lose the Spa Idea.

I had a pop and drop years ago, but then again I owned a pool and spa business.

Professional opinion.
I still have my contacts and I can get you a pop and drop spa. Yes I would love to make some money off you.
Not interested.

Now maintenance..... good luck nowadays..
Service is not going to be what your pie in the sky California Dreamin idea in your head actually becomes reality.

I always laughed at customers that have a vision of a tropical oasis, a tiki bar and all the goodies. Never happens.

Neighbors... Are there people behind you That alone will stop momma from jumping in the hot tub.

I have seen spas that are totally disgusting as to regards of water quality.
Decomposing Flesh, wet farts, hair and bugs.

Enjoy.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:06 AM

Hot tubs are allowed. Ours is under the birdcage. Our neighbors have theirs under their lanai. Either is fine.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:06 AM

So sorry. I am an Alpha and I do not cut my words short.

Also an Electrical Engineer.

My best advice.
If you have the room.
In the master bath, put in a Jacuzzi tub. you can drain after every use. much much more sanitary.

Get some candles. Strawberries. Champagne. Old school sexy music.
Yuppers. that will be a great night.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:23 AM
Location: Currently Genesee, Colorado but selling house soon and heading out in a van. We’ll be in TV in Kct

Following, we are doing the same exact thing. Would be interested in whinyounuse to install the bird cage. Thx. Gator
Closed Thread

Tags
hot, lanai, ground, pad, large

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.